Should I be weary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I be weary?

A couple of days ago, someone backed into my car. It wasn't seriously damaged, but there WAS damage and my door won't open all the way.

Now despite my screenname on here, I am not a vindictive person. I didn't file a police report (didn't feel like dealing with cops anyway), and I don't go all Christian Bale on her. Shit happens, people make mistakes, and the last thing I wanted to do was come across as an asshole. Heck, I was just relieved that the person who hit me wasn't a psychotic asshole.

So for the most part, everything went well. We exhanged information, she didn't try to drive away, and she seemed nice enough (considering the circumstances). She even offered to pay for the damage out of her own pocket. You see we have no fault insurance in our state, which means that both of our rates would go up equally. She said that she didn't think it would cost much to repair at all, but there was a catch...

She wanted me to take it to her friend to repair. I didn't think much of it until I called her the next day for information on the guy. I mentioned wanting to do a price estimate first, and that's when she freaked, mentioning that these other places would charge thousands of dollars that she can't afford. Mechanics would overcharge, she doesn't have that kind of money and she trusts her friend.

She gave me his number and I called him, offering to send him pictures of the car. But the more I thought about it, the more I wondered what angle she was pulling. On one hand, if there really is a way to have my car fixed that could make it so neither of us would have to pay insurance, I would take it. I don't want her to struggle financially because of this. However, I also wonder if this is too good to be true.

Am I just being cynical?

Either way, I'm pretty frusturated. All I wanted to do was treat myself to a little fun and now I have to deal with this.

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
    She wanted me to take it to her friend to repair. I didn't think much of it until I called her the next day for information on the guy. I mentioned wanting to do a price estimate first, and that's when she freaked, mentioning that these other places would charge thousands of dollars that she can't afford. Mechanics would overcharge, she doesn't have that kind of money and she trusts her friend.

On one hand, if there really is a way to have my car fixed that could make it so neither of us would have to pay insurance, I would take it. I don't want her to struggle financially because of this. However, I also wonder if this is too good to be true.
    Get price estimates! My take on this is that her friend is likely to try to save HER money by skipping key steps in repairing YOUR car. If her friend's estimate is "in the ball park" with others, you MIGHT want to go there. If it's an "outlier", either high or (more likely) low, there's probably a reason.

Comment

Get estimates and have the other mechanics (if they will) do a line by line of what exactly needs to be done. That way you can look at his estimate and see if he's missing crucial bits to fix the car properly.

Besides, going to get estimates isn't going to cost her any more money, and if you find someone willing to do it for less you just saved her money (unless her friend is willing to do it for free because he's going to do shoddy work.)

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaWriter View Post
        Get estimates and have the other mechanics (if they will) do a line by line of what exactly needs to be done. That way you can look at his estimate and see if he's missing crucial bits to fix the car properly.

Besides, going to get estimates isn't going to cost her any more money, and if you find someone willing to do it for less you just saved her money (unless her friend is willing to do it for free because he's going to do shoddy work.)
        Yeah that's what bugged me about this. The minute I mentioned getting an estimate, she freaked, acting like I was trying to charge her thousands of dollars. I also asked for a location, she mentioned a road, but wouldn't really say anything else. Then when I asked for the name of the guy, she just told me to call his number. Why can't she tell me?!!

The thing is, I didn't even expect her to pay, I was expecting the insurance to pay. But she was insistent on having her friend do it to save both of us.

Comment

Yeah, the entire thing is setting off alarm bells for me, DEFINITELY get some other quotations - and do it BEFORE you take it to this other person that she has recommended. The simple fact that the person is a "friend of hers", plus the fact she freaked out, according to you, makes me more than a little suspicious.

Comment

Go get the other estimates ASAP.

And if you haven't done so yet, document the damage now before too much time goes by, so you have your evidence ready. Better to be safe than sorry.

Fixing damage from accidents like this is what Insurance is for. Let the insurance companies sort it out, and as long as you aren't in the habit of bumping into things with your car, the change in insurance rates should be minimal.

As the TV Court shows have told me many times, you have the final say (within reason) for who will work on the car. Get at least 2 estimates, and if they differ greatly, seek a third until you get 2 that match fairly closely. (or at least two from reputable garages), then see about her 'friend's' estimate. The lowest of the reasonable estimates is basically what you are eligible to get back. And if you have 2 that are close from known garages, and she tries to point out that her friend is cheaper, unless her friend is named "Maaco", she'll be out of luck. (Not that it will go to court or anything, but best to be prepared. )
            Last edited by Jetfire; 02-28-2013, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Sometimes the "cluster" is bad, and one of the "outliers" is the right choice. When I bought my first computer (286/12), I wanted to transfer the hard drive I had bought for the family computer (30 MB RLL that had set me back $528). Went around to a number of computer shops, and all the prices were in the same ballpark. Then I got to one shop where the quote for the system I wanted was roughly $250 higher than anywhere else. They proceeded to break down the price component-by-component, and one component that cost around $250 was a 16 bit RLL controller. All of the other places' advertising flyers had a list of parts available, and a 16 bit RLL controller was (surprise, surprise) around $250. Clearly, they had all "lowballed" by expecting me to re-use the 8 bit RLL controller I already had. Guess where I bought my computer?

Comment

Guess where I bought my computer?
                At one of the earlier shops, because slow or nonfunctional computers are better?

(Sorry, can't recall which it would be.)
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  At one of the earlier shops, because slow or nonfunctional computers are better?
                  Nope. Since all the shops would have been in the same ballpark for a system with the same specifications, I went with the place that didn't try to "lowball" by leaving out a critical component.

Comment

I got the estimate. It's not something that can easily be paid out of pocket that's for sure. But apparently, the mechanics are overcharging me and I should go with this random person to get it real cheap. I mean I guess it's possible that he's her friend and will charge her next to nothing, but I'm pretty weary.

To make matter worse, I'm having trouble starting my car and am wondering if this accident has something to do with it. I really hate being the bad guy who's costing people money, but at the same time, I am angry that I have to go through this shit just because someone backed up without looking.

Comment

At least you were lucky enough to be in a car when she hit you and not on a bike.
                      "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                        Nope. Since all the shops would have been in the same ballpark for a system with the same specifications, I went with the place that didn't try to "lowball" by leaving out a critical component.
                        Which is why it's good to get an itemized Estimate, and not just a number some guy writes down at the shop. That way you can see more or less where the money is going and make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

As to the OP, have your car's starter problems looked into, and ask if it could be caused by the accident you were in. Make sure your own estimate has the details in it (and maybe get a second opinion), then toss it to the insurance companies. That's what they are there for after all.

Comment

The car seems to be starting fine now so at least that's not a problem anymore.

Comment

Working...
                          X