No announcement yet.

Escapist thread: ATM's and 'free money'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the UK most banks do not charge even if it is not your bank you are using, they used to and as posted before, once TSB cards would only work in TSB machines.
    The only ones that charge are those independant of banks, those found in some pubs and near the bowling alley, but as there is now a Sainsburys and Tesco's with the Tesco's definatly having a cashpoint that doesn't charge, I myself would walk the 5 minute round trip to save that fee.

Also I am not aware (as I never needed to find out) if the self service machines do this and at a register it is the cashier who asks if we would like money, though I am rarely asked this.

I do know this can lead to fraudulant cashback if we are not the ones instigating it as I recall reading CS posts where someone found that they had been charged a cashback higher than they wanted but only got the ammount they requested.

Comment

The (bank-owned) ATM in my store is one of those where you insert and remove your card, and the reader's been wonky for awhile so cashback at the register may be faster than standing there hoping it reads your card the 4th time.

Ginger, in the two instances a customer walked off without their cash, they also forgot the receipt...so even if they did catch it on their statement, they'd pretty much have no way of proving they didn't spend $40 on groceries.
      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-19-2013, 01:02 AM.
      "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Housemate uses the cashback facility in our local Sainsburys to get fifteen pound coins to use on the Park & Ride for the coming week. ATMs don't give change, and neither do the machines at the car park take notes or cards.

Comment

When I've run into it, it's usually just one of the screens between "please swipe card" and "transaction approved." It says "select cashback amount" and has choices like 10, 20, 40, and none.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
          X