No announcement yet.

Sim City 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't played a SimCity game since SimCity2000, so I have no first hand experience about any of this. Although it sounds incredibly obnoxious and unnecessary and just another company caring way more about their profit margin than about their customers who are the reason they're in business in the first place. Anyhoo, I saw this posted on my Facebook feed and it reminded me of this thread, so figured I would share:

Modder Makes SimCity Capable of Offline Play Which Works Flawlessly

Comment

I do feel kinda bad for Maxis having put all this work into a game only to have it forever tarnished by EA's rampant stupidity. Then Maxis was sent out on an apology tour, and while I appreciate them trying to take all the blame I fail to believe anything they're saying. You can't tell me always online wasn't EA's idea for thinly veiled DRM. The obvious bullshit excuse of "cloud computing" reeks of CEO approved market speak.

The only thing running on the "cloud" are the multiplayer specific features no one wanted anyway. Trying to bullshit people that there's all this amazing simulation going on that their computer couldn't handle is hilarious. You expect us to believe that every copy of a $60 game comes with a dedicated 24/7 server that costs twice as much as the computer the game is being played on? Bullshit.

Comment

I want to know how that modder fixed the code to make it play offline so i can do the same if and when i buy it. Though someone should find a way to have the game save on your hard drvie. I don't trust the cloud. lol

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainJaneway View Post
          I want to know how that modder fixed the code to make it play offline so i can do the same if and when i buy it. Though someone should find a way to have the game save on your hard drvie. I don't trust the cloud. lol
          It'll play offline in the developer debug mode me thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
            The only thing running on the "cloud" are the multiplayer specific features no one wanted anyway. Trying to bullshit people that there's all this amazing simulation going on that their computer couldn't handle is hilarious. You expect us to believe that every copy of a $60 game comes with a dedicated 24/7 server that costs twice as much as the computer the game is being played on? Bullshit.
            Not only that, but even if we wanted the multiplayer specific functions, we can get that for free... they already include those in SimCity Social... so why would someone who really enjoyed the multiplayer aspect shell out $60 when they were getting it for free on Facebook already?
            "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Working...
            X