Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It wasn't me who made those post's

It was my evil twin.

Recently encountered the online equivalent of such excuse.
    Guy posted an apology for his past conduct and that he knows who used his login details and made a fair few personal attacks against a long standing member, whom admittedly has rattled a few cages now and then, but I don't mind him and normally he is just calling a spade a spade or at least not sugar coating his comments and critiques.

Guy only has 30ish posts to his name spread over the last 6-9 months, perhaps a year, maybe he had more and were deleted due to content, but if he genuinely was having someone else use his account to stir up shit in his name, well who is to believe a faceless stranger?
    I think the apology made, even if true, does more harm than good, as unlike other people who have been around far longer might have more noticeable 'it's not me posting' tells, having a low post count with little redeeming features it's fair to say 'bullshit' has been called and I am of the opinion that this could be the 3rd or 4th account set up by this guy, others being dormant for a while suggesting a prior ban.

It's a lot like saying "my alarm clock didn't go off." (For a reason other than your not setting it in the first place.) That it does happen, and can happen to just about anybody, would make it a valid excuse except that it also makes it too convenient a lie.

I'd say it's better, though, if it really did happen, to say that it did. If posts have been removed then it's impossible to judge whether they were out of character anyway, but better to go ahead and mark that period as not yours and then behave consistently as someone who wouldn't have done whatever the impostor did than to leave it as if it were your doing. People won't believe you *now,* but if they come to know you later they either will believe or won't care (or remember.)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
    X