No announcement yet.

Circumcision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were originally, and in some cases still are, reasons to dock a dog's tail. Dogs like rotties or dobermans were originally docked becaue it gave opponents something less to grab on to. Dobermans were bred as guard dogs for money, and they didn't want someone's accomplice grabbing the dog's tail to pull it off of someone else. Boxers it was so the tail didn't get grabbed when it was fighting another animal. A lot of herding/guard breeds are docked and cropped, as are a lot of hunting breeds that might get tails broken or tangled up in the field.

Today, it tends to just be cosmetic. Most people don't work those breeds in the field any more, but because of years of breeding without focusing on the tail (that would just get cut off) a lot of those breeds are extremely unsuited for their own tail. Boxers for example ,have very muscular hindquarters and their tails tend to be very very thin and whiplike. Boxers with intact tails tend to break them or bang them enough to produce horrible abcesses and eventually they have to be cut off anyway.

Even so, the argument could be made that if that becomes the case, dock the tail then. It poses more pain and discomfort to wait for the animal, however, and they have to learn how to walk again and balance without the tail.

Here's where we come to the seperation of animals and people. A human being has a voice and free will, and should be able to make cosmetic decisions for themselves as much as possible. Obviously, a child with a cleft palate needs to have that fixed as an infant even if it is only cosmetic and won't interfere with suckling, but for something as medically unnecessary as circumsicion or ear piercing, they should make that choice themselves when they're old enough to understand it. Yes, it may cause them more pain to do it as an adult, but they'll understand that and take that into account.

A dog cannot understand any of this or make their own choices. A dog with an undocked tail who breaks it repeatedly only understands he's in a lot of pain, for an extended amount of time. If the tail gets taken then, he has to suffer through the surgery, pain and recovery without choice or understanding what's happening and why. More reason then to do it if necessary when they're little pups than to risk that suffering when they're older.

Other dogs won't ever break their tail or have any issue and will go through their lives just fine. It is up to the owner what risks they want to take in that venue and sometimes they make the wrong decisions.

Honestly, certain breeds I would own with docked tails- dobermans and boxers among them- for the exact reasons I've specified. Others that normally have docked tails (like Rotties) I wouldn't bother...their natural tails are very thick and paddle like, kind of like a labradors tail, and there is little to no risk of them being broken and the dog isn't going to be working a job where it could get grabbed or bit or used against it, so no need for docking.

Ramble over. Again, this is all my opinion, and i don't think less of anyone who chooses to have their kids circumcised or their dogs' tails docked or not.

Comment

When I saw the Appendix mentioned I knew it would go down that route, but as already stated, it used to have a function earlier in mankind's growth, but now its just seen as a ticking bomb.
      Except, as also already stated, that's outdated information. Current medical science says it *does* serve a purpose, though a relatively minor one in places with good sanitation.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

My bad on the wording, I meant to write it more how we used to think once upon a time it was for some use, way back in history, but now we just wait for it to come close to exploding.
        I wasn't dismissing the posts about what it does or at least is perceived to do, I probably wrote that during one of my I can't sleep nights and just fudged the passage without even noticing.
        OK even though it says I posted around 9:30am, my body clock might have had me still awake from the previous day.

Back to the dogs, some good reasons listed regarding breeding the dog, but how much might actually be due to the tail being missing that genetics has decided that the tail is a trait bred out of the dog, yet the tail is still actually there.
        I wont claim to be an expert on genetics or evolution, but the more or less something is the stronger or weaker it becomes in later generations, it might take a while to notice it, but also we might have been doing it a while anyway, I have no idea when dogs started to get docked, but could it be possible that the tail could have once been stronger had it not been cut out and omitted from it's life and at such an early age the balance issues would be negligible.

Comment

Something like that. If the tail's characteristics have no bearing on the dog's reproductive chances, and especially with as small a gene pool as dog breeds tend to have, it's going to pick up oddities fairly quickly.

Along similar lines, while well-functioning eyes take a long time to evolve, a species that's kept in total darkness loses their function pretty quickly.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Probably a better comparison would be in regards to ear cropping I'd imagine...(was formerly done for "safety" reasons with dog-fighting, now it's purely cosmetic)

Comment

Completely agree that ear cropping is a better analogy. Having flop ears does nothing to hurt the dog (maybe the slight chance of an increase in ear infections, though that is negligable and a non-issue if you keep them clean). Unless you are actually fighting the dog (in which case, you shouldn't have it anyway) there is no medical reason to crop ears.

I think we're just so used to seeing 'prick' ears on some breeds that it has still remained a thing. Honestly, I think boxers look better with floppy ears. Dobermans look kind of funny to me with floppy ears, but so what? Recognize that it's unnecessary and merely cosmetic, and recognize the dog has no say so in what you're doing to it.

Humans are capable of and should always have a say so in cosmetic alterations to their bodies (so long as its not the case of a severe but non-life-threatening deformity in an infant or young child) without parents arbitrarily making choices for them.

Comment

I once saw a Doberman that had one floppy and one cut ear. The owner babied him and so he was a push over to every one else. The reason why he had them cut that way was because one of his little mates bit too hard, got it's teeth stuck, and then pulled.

Comment

Working...
                X