Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well if they don't want me living there, they can keep it....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well if they don't want me living there, they can keep it....

A little while ago, I was talking to someone about how if I became well-off but needed to stay in my current county for whatever reason, I would buy a house in a town named after it's "park like" nature.

Many of these homes are large and beautiful, and many feature 3-car garages - perfect for the gearhead! (Of course, taxes are also high) This town is also known to attract families because of its top-rated schools.

I showed this person an example of a home in this town I would love to live in, and this is what was said to me:

"So wait a second. Why would you want to buy an overly big house like that if you don't have a family or kids? To be honest you're taking it away from a family that would actually use it for its intended purpose. Don't be surprised if the HOA says NO to you moving in, after all what does a single guy need with all that room?"

This is what I countered with:

"If I offer the seller with enough cash to buy the house, what difference does it make? And if the HOA denies a person with no criminal background and great character references just because he doesn't have a stereotypical family with 2.5 kids, they can keep their phony ass neighborhood!"

Before you start thinking "No HOA would be that picky," a CW at my job told me that one of his friends tried to get into this town and the HOA board were dicks about approving him because "he couldn't prove he made a certain income." Sadly he couldn't do anything about it because "self employed contractor" is not a protected class.

As I said before, if they don't want someone who hasn't even gotten a traffic ticket, then I would find a home somewhere else.
    AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

I don't get the idea that a person should give up a house they want just because someone else might be able to make better use of it. Who the fuck cares if you're single and intend to turn the other two rooms into a library and home arcade (or whatever)? That's your choice, your money, and nobody else's business.

Some HOAs are too damn nosy. And your friend is a busybody. "Taking it away" from its ideal family? If they want it, they can outbid you.

Comment

So... Who is this someone and why did they feel the need to crap on your dream?
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
        I don't get the idea that a person should give up a house they want just because someone else might be able to make better use of it. Who the fuck cares if you're single and intend to turn the other two rooms into a library and home arcade (or whatever)? That's your choice, your money, and nobody else's business.
        Or in my case, a repository for some cool muscle cars and automobile memorabilia.
        AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

Comment

You, a motorhead? I never would have guessed!

Comment

To be honest, I would never again buy a house in an HOA or historic district [before we moved to Connecticut, we had a house in Craddock, and we were limited as to what we could do with our house color or bashing down walls and such wise.]

Oooo look, the reappraisal boosted the price to almost double what John and I paid for it!

Comment

I too would never buy a home in an HOA or historic district. I'm all for preserving unique architecture...but the minute some busybody wants to dictate what color I can paint my trim, they can stuff it.

With that said, I too would have a room or two filled with sports cars and automotive-related items. As it is, I have a tiny single-car garage...piled high with tools and parts. I wouldn't mind having another bedroom or two, and a bigger basement and garage. Not because I have kids and need the room, but it would be nice for the model railroad to have a longer main line...and being able to pull the daily-driver inside during the winter.

When I moved into my place, some "experts" insisted that I really didn't need a second bedroom, and that I should get an apartment instead? Why? For about $30 more a month over a crappy apartment, I was able to buy a small house out in the 'burbs.

Comment

For contrast, we live in a non-HOA residential tract. One of our neighbors across the street painted their house bright orange (very close to "Hazard Orange"). I have no doubt that's hurting the house next to it that's for sale...

Comment

I suspect the knifing done by one of the guests there isn't helping, either. >_>
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                    One of our neighbors across the street painted their house bright orange (very close to "Hazard Orange").
                    Do you mean "International Orange" (the shade Schneider paints their trucks - but since they switched from Internationals to Freightliners some time back, the name seems wrong)? Or do you mean the same shade as the General Lee - in which case, shouldn't it be spelled "Hazzard Orange?

Comment

Halfway between the two.

Comment

Ahhhh University of Tennessee Orange it is...

IMO HOA are the work of Satan. I've battled with two different HOA trying to enforce their rules upon me and my property simply because I have to be next door. Technically their inside the city limits my property is on the line and I'm not in the city but in the county. I can't be annexed unless I request it. One thing I did to help stop their constant badgering is set my farm up into the state's land conservancy trust. I still own the land and I leave to my heirs but it will always be a farm and can't be developed into one of those damned sub-divisions fulls of slack-jawed, mouth-breathing damn-yankees in their "Unique" McMansions.
                        Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

It doesn't matter what you're doing in life. Someone will ultimately think you should be doing it differently. That's my observation, anyway.

When I was shopping for a house, I was questioned about why I was bothering to buy a home when I was single with no kids. I guess every single person is supposed to live in a cramped walk-up and have a "Sex in the City" lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
                            It doesn't matter what you're doing in life. Someone will ultimately think you should be doing it differently. That's my observation, anyway.

When I was shopping for a house, I was questioned about why I was bothering to buy a home when I was single with no kids. I guess every single person is supposed to live in a cramped walk-up and have a "Sex in the City" lifestyle.
                            Why would being single be a reason not to buy a house?
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Some people think singles don't need the room- we should live in small apartments instead, we don't need belongings or space, or our own yard, only families need those things.

Seriously, I've heard the arguments against singles having anything larger than a tiny box of an apartment, and all those arguments can go fuck themselves with a chili doused dildo.

Comment

Working...
                              X