Books That Kick You in the Throat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books That Kick You in the Throat

You know that book you read that kicked you in the throat. but in a good way?

What was it?

I didn't know until seeing this thread that there was any such thing as being kicked in the throat in a good way.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Dresden Files Books 12 and 13 Changes and Ghost Story.

Once at a con I moderated a discussion panel on dresden files.

On the spot I came up with a description for the books.

Changes: Stuff blows up, Harry make a joke, Stuff blows up, Harry make a joke, Stuff blows up, Harry make a joke, Stuff blows up, Harry make a joke, Stuff blows up, Harry make a joke, then Jim Butcher reaches into your chest pulls out your heart, stomps on it, and puts back in your chest.

Ghost Story: Jim Butcher reaches into your chest pulls out your heart, stomps on it, and puts back in your chest. Jim Butcher reaches into your chest pulls out your heart, stomps on it, and puts back in your chest. Jim Butcher reaches into your chest pulls out your heart, stomps on it, and puts back in your chest. Jim Butcher reaches into your chest pulls out your heart, stomps on it, and puts back in your chest.Jim Butcher reaches into your chest pulls out your heart, stomps on it, and puts back in your chest. Then Stuff blows up and Harry Makes a Joke.

Comment

Mine is Shusaku Endo's "The Sea and Poison". It was written in the 1950's and is the first Japanese novel to deal with Japan's wartime atrocities. In one scene some doctors are vivisecting a captured American pilot (he is not conscious) to remove lung tissue in order to see how much lung tissue can be removed before the patient dies.

The surgery is described in such clinical, cold detail that it simultaneously makes you sick and seems very distant. The main character is affected by his participation in this for the rest of his life.

I couldn't stop thinking about it for days, and even remembering the book makes me shudder a little. It makes yout wonder what you would do in such a situation- and makes you realize that honestly, you can't know until it happens. It's an amazing story but I don't think I'll be reading it ever again. However, I have a copy and will recommend it to anyone who wants to think.

And that's how being kicked in the throat can be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
          Changes: Stuff blows up, Harry make a joke, Stuff blows up, Harry make a joke, Stuff blows up, Harry make a joke, Stuff blows up, Harry make a joke, Stuff blows up, Harry make a joke, then Jim Butcher reaches into your chest pulls out your heart, stomps on it, and puts back in your chest.

Ghost Story: Jim Butcher reaches into your chest pulls out your heart, stomps on it, and puts back in your chest. Jim Butcher reaches into your chest pulls out your heart, stomps on it, and puts back in your chest. Jim Butcher reaches into your chest pulls out your heart, stomps on it, and puts back in your chest. Jim Butcher reaches into your chest pulls out your heart, stomps on it, and puts back in your chest.Jim Butcher reaches into your chest pulls out your heart, stomps on it, and puts back in your chest. Then Stuff blows up and Harry Makes a Joke.

Very succinct. I also like the meme that was going around for a while with Jim Butcher's picture, stating something along the lines of "He breakfasts on the anguished cries of his readers, and sweetens his coffee with their tears."

Comment

A double whammy - Lois McMaster Bujold gave us aright hook to the heart in Cryoburn [spoiler] Aral VorKosigan dies[/spoiler] and in Captain Vorpatril's Alliance [spoiler] Ivan gets married by accident but it works out in the end[/spoiler]

Ok, it seems that spoiler tags are not working so I whited the spoilers out.

Comment

Originally posted by dentarthurdent View Post
              Very succinct. I also like the meme that was going around for a while with Jim Butcher's picture, stating something along the lines of "He breakfasts on the anguished cries of his readers, and sweetens his coffee with their tears."
              Isn't that GRR Martin too?
              I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by AccountingDrone View Post

Ok, it seems that spoiler tags are not working so I whited the spoilers out.
                It is funny, because white on the default background(I think it is the default) actiolly brings more attention to it.

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
                  It is funny, because white on the default background(I think it is the default) actiolly brings more attention to it.
                  This. You can't really use "invisible ink" on forums because you can't be certain which style any of the other users are using. Obviously, you've changed it to the same style as CS, as have I (since the dark background is too different than the rest of my surfing), but the majority are likely sticking with the default, which is a dark grey, not a pale blue.
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That gives me an idea of actually adding a "[color=invisible]" option to my own forum (since I'm too lazy to code spoiler tags).

I can't think of any books that "kicked me in the throat," per se. Of Mice and Men, perhaps? Really, the first thing that came to my mind was the manga Revenge of Mouflon and The First President of Japan.
                    "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Working...
                    X