Anyone had any YouTube strikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had any YouTube strikes?

I just received one for a video that I posted on behalf of my 10-year-old nephew. He created a video on GoAnimate about the Doodlebops, and I foolishly helped him post on YouTube a few months ago. So far, so good, until today.

Today I got an email from YouTube that said that someone flagged his video as having inappropriate content. YouTube reviewed the video and agreed that it violated their Community Guidelines and blocked it. So I now got a strike, the first in a long time (but not the first time). I removed the video and will wait for it to expire before posting another video.

I just hope no one reports my other videos. It's one reason I didn't monetize the video I posted about people playing Twister on the TTC.

Anyone else received YouTube strikes? If so, what did you do to resolve them?

I take it they did not define 'inappropriate content'.

We've seen artists and more often their labels (as they are the ones that own the recording rights) go after a baby dancing to a song, the video even if it was the whole length of the song wont take away a sale as it's always shitty audio with people talking over it.

Total Biscuit from The Co Optional podcast (formally the game station podcast) had one or two strikes by Sega, thing is he is a partnered channel dedicated to reviewing and showcasing games, I think they took back the strikes, it wasn't a case of "oh we didn't know it was you, we thought it was some 12 year old making money of our games", he is well known within the industry, not necessarily well liked.
    But people know him by name and sometimes by sight.

Now Sega gets zero exposure on his channel, he might play a game or talk about it on the podcast, but he won't do a WTF is or anything video related on his own gaming channel.

Comment

actually, there is an automated system (run by Youtube) that automatically does these strikes, it isn't entirely under the control of the content owners ( Content ID, it figures out if a Youtube video contains a copyrighted work, then performs a standardised action ( takedown, monetize, ignore. Most content owners have it set to monetize these days) so YES, Sega probably DIDN'T know it was a legit reviewer.

Comment

I think he said it was automated, but he got 2 strikes close together and iir they were for old games and perhaps old videos too, he was 1 strike away from having no channel thus no job.

So he just chose to fire Sega as a 'client' when it came to his publicity draw.

Comment

Yeah, that happened with SEGA's big "anti-Shining Force" crackdown where any mention of the game series, regardless of particular title or content (ie, even saying the name) resulted in a take down complaint. In response, most people in the youtube gaming community blacklisted all SEGA content (to avoid a shutdown if the company expanded on it) and that included a lot of big ticket promoters like TB. SEGA realized that it did a lot of damage to their advertising arm and rescinded on the notices on big promoters but by then the blacklist was in full.

SEGA essentially killed any viral marketing plans they had in place (which is how most games are marked this day) because of this stupid action.

Comment

Yes. I think the humans who work for YouTube should be the ones that issue the strikes, not the computers. They're the ones who should decide which video was made by an adult and which was made by a child and then posted by his or her parent/guardian simply because it was cute.

Comment

I'm not aware of any strikes to my account thus far, but then again the only videos I have up are footage of SoulCalibur III and IV (and V, once I edit that footage of the Dr. Insano created character I pieced together).
              "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Last year after being flag free my youtube account with over 200 subscribers and close to 80 videos was completely suspended.... after one flag.... ONE!

It was for "inappropriate content" on one of my model/celeb fan montages. Out of 20,000 views, one person had to complain. In case you're wondering, this video had no nudity. If the idiot that flagged the video was bothered by it, I'm wondering how a trip to the beach would be like!

Now you may be wondering, "why did they suspend your whole account after just one strike, doesn't it take three?"

I complained about it on the help forums, and a "helpful" soul said that by putting links in the video description on where people can get the pictures shown in the video, I was using youtube for "commercial purposes," even though I was not making a single DIME off the videos. I guess youtube felt I was and went right to a ban.
                AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

Comment

So far, I still have that strike. I'm going to be a good girl and not post any videos until the strike expires.

So far, keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping YouTube doesn't notice my other videos!

Comment

I don't know if you are familiar with the shitstorm that went down with Totalbiscuit's WTF is Day one Garry's Incident.

Short version is TB is given a review code for a finished game (not alpha) comments that it is buggy as shit and is the retail version.
                    Month or so passes, over the weekend it gets taken down by YouTube after the Dev's claim copyright infringement, he was going to sort it behind closed doors with his/Polaris the network he is partnered with, but reddit find out and can of worms erupt.

TB releases a twitter bomb and a video about it, dev's get tonnes of negative comments and decide due to bad publicity they are changing their mind about the strike.

And this was hot on the heels of having to take down last weeks podcast that had only just gone live because they had a trailer for Pokémon XY running whilst they discussed the game, Nintendo claimed that all income from the 3 hour video belonged to them due to the advert, so they just cut the segment around the video (perhaps it goes dark to keep audio intact) and are now no longer talking about Nintendo (least on his channel perhaps the podcast itself) seeing as 3/4 or all 4 members of that weeks show are playing it, when it comes to "What have you been playing" it will turn into "moving on" as soon as anything Nintendo is mentioned.
                    Last edited by Ginger Tea; 10-21-2013, 11:19 PM.

Comment

A lot of people are stopping covering anything Nintendo because of their dick move of claiming all the monies. And it is a dick move, one I'd expect of EA more than Nintendo. The Yogscast preferred to film the carpet at E3 rather than even bother with them.

Comment

I've never received an email about a strike, but I have had videos removed from my account without notification. The only thing i can think of is they contain bits of songs that someone either reported or their system flagged.
                        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Working...
                        X