Moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving

So I got a new apartment and I'm going to start moving in next week. My mom and I are doing it ourselves (my mom is awesome), but I have some rather heavy furniture and could use some help getting it up to the 3rd floor (where my new apartment is). My aunt suggested I ask her sons if they would be able to help. She didn't volunteer them, didn't tell them they have to help me (that I know of), etc.

So I get on FB and message them, asking if they'd be able to help and understand if they wouldn't. One hasn't responded by the other did with some passive-aggressive bumfuckery about his mother.

"Funny she didn't offer her own services since :stepfather: has a trailer."

All I need is a bit of help getting a couple of items into my apartment. My mom has a van that is large enough to move everything so a trailer isn't even needed. Just need a bit of muscle to help get it up a couple flights of stairs.

I did reply with:

"She didn't offer anyone's services. Just said to see if you'd be able to help. Like I said, cool if you can't."

I totally get that he has issues with his mother, and she does have a tendency to volunteer people, but this wasn't one of those situations. Though shit like this is why I don't go to family for anything other than my mom and grandfather who don't try to hold shit over everyone's head or act like a fucking victim in every situation.

Ugh.

I hate moving. Worst time so far was moving Mom while she was in the hospital. Including sorting through what to take, what to dump, and what to donate without her present. My brothers and I know never to mention any former possession unless we know for certain it didn't get gone that day... but it really couldn't be avoided.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I'm so glad I'm not moving someone else and having to make those decisions. It's hard enough deciding what of mine needs to be trashed.

Comment

When I moved out in 2006, I had no problem getting certain relatives to help. At the time, my dad wanted my old room for an office. It was "you want my shit out, you're going to help move it." Otherwise, all the small stuff--my computers, clothes, model collection, etc. I moved myself.

Comment

I'm prepping for a cross-country move(WI->NJ), it's daunting to say the least.
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I can relate. Though we hired a moving company to move stuff for us, we had to disassemble the furniture and pack everything the day before and the day of the move. It was VERY hectic, to say the least.

Fortunately, I'm now settled in.

Comment

Working...
            X