Charity collections in the office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity collections in the office

So, I have a co-irker whom I already loathe for a variety of reasons (a giant Fratch-worthy post of its own, I should get to that one day) but this is about her favorite pet project of the season: Collecting donations, in the office, for a local religious community center that provides Thanksgiving dinners to the elderly and infirm.

In and of itself, I'm not overly opposed to the charity except for their religious bent, as I am openly atheist.

My co-irker, Bitchface McGee henceforth BM for short, has for the past several years gone around the building to collect funds, negotiated to have our employer match the funds, and negotiated the cost of turkeys with the grocery store to maximize the purchasing power of the donated money. I've nothing against all of this either.

No, my issues are thus:

1. BM repeatedly asks me to donate to this charity. Despite my repeated response of 'my donations are always private, anonymous, and to non-religious charities, so thank you for asking but no'.

1A. BM argues that this charity serves people of any religion, so I should donate anyway because my religious views don't matter.

2. BM sends a mass email each year showing the thank you letter that touts how much money was collected, how many turkeys were bought, how low the price was, etc. Despite the fact that the money was donated by many employees - and matched by our employer - the donations are always made solely in BM's name.

3. BM last year was mentioned in the newspaper for her efforts. Conveniently left out was the fact that the money was collected from among our almost 500 employees and then matched by the company. But she did make sure to highlight and point out their recognition of what a great person she is when she posted the article on the company bulletin board.

4. Also last year, while standing right next to my cubicle, BM loudly mentioned that people who don't donate to this charity must not care that senior citizens go hungry on Thanksgiving. Since I was the only one in my office that didn't donate, it's pretty clear that this comment was directed at me.

My belief is that you give to a charity because you believe in the cause, not to be publicly heralded for being a fabulous person. That's just using a charity to glorify yourself. This is not really charity at all but ego-masturbation.

I've managed to stick to my principles, so far, and leave out just how much money we (my wife & I) donate and to which charities. I'm sort of breaking that here just to mention that despite BM's collections and the matching, she still donated less to her charity than my wife & I donated on our own to the local food pantry which has no religious affiliation and provides the same service, sans sermon.

I'm really tempted to tell her off this year, using my donation as an example of her self-centered self-aggrandizing bullshit. But then I would be no better than her and I don't want it to become a pissing contest trying to prove who is the better person.

There's no real point to this post besides venting. I'm just disgusted that I'm going to have to listen to this year's variant of the above for the next 3 weeks.

/rant
    Last edited by Gerrinson; 11-03-2013, 04:45 PM.

I'd tell her to stop talking to me about it, and if she keeps doing so, I'd file a harassment complaint.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Gerrinson View Post
      4. Also last year, while standing right next to my cubicle, BM loudly mentioned that people who don't donate to this charity must not care that senior citizens go hungry on Thanksgiving.
      Hungry or just without traditional food? If hungry, what about the rest of the year?

Do you have the option to blank her permanently?

Also, the word 'extortion' is good.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

BM sends a mass email each year showing the thank you letter that touts how much money was collected, how many turkeys were bought, how low the price was, etc. Despite the fact that the money was donated by many employees - and matched by our employer - the donations are always made solely in BM's name.
        From the highlighted part, does this mean that BM gets the tax receipt for the whole donation? Smells like tax fraud to me, plus BM is harassing the whole office to get something that benefits her personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
          Hungry or just without traditional food? If hungry, what about the rest of the year?
          In this case, Raps, many of these people might have to go without. The local elder services company that delivers their daily meals doesn't run on Thanksgiving.

The religious community center and the food pantry to which I donate step in to cover those deliveries on holidays, so long as they have food & funding to do so. Most of their drivers are volunteers.

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
          From the highlighted part, does this mean that BM gets the tax receipt for the whole donation? Smells like tax fraud to me...
          She does indeed get the tax donation letter in only her name. I hadn't even thought of that angle.

Comment

She does indeed get the tax donation letter in only her name. I hadn't even thought of that angle.
            It might be worth a word with whoever at the charity issues handles that. If they're honest, they won't want her cheating the system and may put a stop to it. On the other hand, if the individual donations would be too small to be worth the paperwork for anyone involved, it makes a kind of sense to handle it this way.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I'd have thought ti would be more honest to address the donation letter to "the employees of Company X" to be honest, so that this woman cannot claim the tax deduction. ( I personally like how it's done over here in the UK: you fill out an extra form ( called Gift Aid) and the tax on the donation is reclaimed by the charity. Makes a situation like this far easier to deal with)

Comment

If she's claiming everyone's donations on her taxes, she's definitely committing fraud.

On a similar note, my company does the United Way bull. For a whole month out of the year, there are meetings about how wonderful the UW is, emails that go out by the hundreds, people that come around, contests and raffles that are being run, and you can't turn around without someone asking 'have you donated yet? are you going to donate? You can take it year round off your paycheck, etc.'. No matter that every year I tell them 'I have my own charities I donate too year round. I'm not interested in the united way', they still do it. And sometimes, even that doesn't stop them...they want to know what charities, or why I can't ALSO donate to the UW.

Firstly, I distrust the UW. I've heard far too many bad things, both anecdotally online and via friends and neighbors, about the UW. Secondly, if I wanted to give money to any of the charities that goes through the UW...like the American Red cross...I'd donate to the American Red Cross directly. Why give to a middle man?

Lastly, I give money year round to the exact places I want it to go, and I have two sponsered children. I'd rather give THEM an extra twenty when I've got it so they can fix their house after a flood, or buy new shoes for school, than toss it into the UW pool.

Any charity that has to strong arm and force companies that work with them to meet quotas or beat their employees over the head with 'OMGUMUSTDONATE' isn't really a charity in my book.

Comment

Working...
                X