Your Moment of Schadenfreude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Moment of Schadenfreude

My house is on a corner lot, on a hill. The front of the house is at the top of the hill, then the road curves around and goes downhill. My driveway comes in behind the house, so when you pull in there you either have to go into the walkout basement or climb the hill to the front door (I hope that makes sense).

Our neighbors are okay, we rarely see them. The mother is polite enough, her grown daughter has never spoken to me, and the guy who lives there (I think the daughter's boyfriend) waves and smiles. I don't mind them not being super-friendly, it suits me.

They have a driveway where they could fit all three cars easily. But there is only ever one car there, the mother's, and when she's at work the driveway is empty. The daughter parks in front of their house. The man parks in front of our house. There is room for two cars in front of their house; because of the way the road curves there is only room for one in front of ours.

Now, I know the road is public property and anyone can park there. And most of the time I don't mind, we park in our driveway. But this guy leaves his car there ALL THE TIME. It moves maybe once a week for a couple hours. I don't know what he does for a job but his car is always there.

I don't mind like I said, except a couple times a week when I come home with loads of groceries and have to unload them in the basement and carry them all up the steep stairs to the main floor, instead of straight to the front door and inside. Or when we have company and have to play car Tetris in the back to get everyone fitted in and they have to park on our grass (I assume this is why they don't park in the driveway, no one wants to be blocked in, but his car rarely moves anyway...). He also parks with two wheels in our yard so mowing can get annoying when you're trying to get close without scratching his car. It's one of those minor irritations that everyone has.

So this morning, after an ice/snow storm last night, I got a secret snicker when I saw the man outside, trying to shovel his car out. See, our road is a snow emergency route and all cars have to be off the street after the snow. And because it's an emergency route, snow plows were driving up and down the street all last night, throwing snow to the sides, and completely blocking his car in with a wall of dirty snow and ice. It took him 45 minutes to dig out, and his car hasn't been back because, you know, snow emergency. I don't know where he parked it because it's not in the driveway (neither is the daughter's car, I don't know where it is). Should have parked it in the driveway last night, since we've known this was going to happen for days now!

And this was your moment of schadenfreude for today.

(I felt bad about it afterward, but it was 6 am, the kid had been up since 5:30- after having nightmares that meant none of us got more than 4 hours' sleep- and the husband was still asleep so I couldn't go out and help like I should have)
    Last edited by anakhouri; 02-05-2014, 09:10 PM.

I think you should not feel bad about it. I would have driven past him, smiling nicely, and then giggled all the way to my destination. Serves him right.

We have streets like that here: every bloody person has a driveway, yet every blood person parks on the road. I have no idea why, unless they are all such inept drivers that they can't get into or out of their driveways without possibly taking out a wall of either their house or the neighbour's. It's seriously annoying, even in good weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixilated View Post
      I think you should not feel bad about it. I would have driven past him, smiling nicely, and then giggled all the way to my destination. Serves him right.

We have streets like that here: every bloody person has a driveway, yet every blood person parks on the road. I have no idea why, unless they are all such inept drivers that they can't get into or out of their driveways without possibly taking out a wall of either their house or the neighbour's. It's seriously annoying, even in good weather.
      Because backing out or in is TOO HARD!

Comment

I would feel nervous parking in a driveway on a street where everyone else parks on the street, because I'd be afraid someone would block me in. Sure, you're not supposed to do that, but by the time they got a ticket or towed or whatever I'd still be hours late.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Am I a bad person for laughing at this video of the inside of a cruise ship during a storm (good part at the 4:00 mark). I know people were probably injured and all, but it's just such surreal imagery that I can't help but laugh.

Comment

Despite using that word as a part of my website's name, I can't actually recall having too many moments of schadenfreude. Granted, I can't recall too many memories to begin with.

I think the closest I get is playing a game online and turning the tables on an obnoxious player.
            "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by anakhouri View Post
              They have a driveway where they could fit all three cars easily. But there is only ever one car there, the mother's, and when she's at work the driveway is empty. The daughter parks in front of their house. The man parks in front of our house. There is room for two cars in front of their house; because of the way the road curves there is only room for one in front of ours.
              Sounds like the people across the street from me. They have a much longer driveway--it goes down the hill, and ends up behind the house. As long as they've lived there, there have always been their two cars in the driveway. Even if they have company over, they make their guests park in the street. Never mind that the driveway could easily hold about 6 cars.

Normally, I wouldn't care. But, street parking is tight enough as it is. We're not supposed to park on the left. Narrow one-way street and all that. Nearly every night I come home, and that goddamn Cobalt is not only in the street...but at the *very* end of my driveway. Meaning, it takes some interesting maneuvering for me to get in or out and not hit that piece of shit. At least he usually pulls up far enough that if I want to take a certain other car out, I can pull my daily-driver in behind him...and not block the sidewalk or driveway of the next house.

So this morning, after an ice/snow storm last night, I got a secret snicker when I saw the man outside, trying to shovel his car out.
              This past winter, I had a snicker at my neighbor's expense. For whatever reason, his wife's car didn't move very often. When she last pulled in, the snow in the driveway wasn't too bad. Then the car sat the entire weekend...and things got interesting. That is, the snow melted a bit...and the car sank into it. Then we got a bit more snow and ice.

That Sunday, they were supposed to take the kids to their grandmother's. Again, that damn Cobalt got put in the street. They got into the other car...and it didn't move an inch! The driveway was slick enough, that even with the snow moved it wasn't going anywhere.

What I found hilarious, is that I managed to get my little Toyota (which has a *lot* less power than their big sedan) up my driveway without problems. My driveway, which still had snow and ice on it. I'm sure that took him down a notch.

So much, that it nearly sent him over the edge--figuratively and literally! Rather than simply pull the car ahead to where the snow had been cleaned, he thought he'd power his way out. Cue lots of tire smoke, spinning wheels, and colorful language. It must have taken about 20 attempts to get that car out. On the 21st, all the wheel spinning nearly sent it into the neighbor's yard...and over their hill into the house!

Trust me, it took all I had to maintain my composure

Comment

Working...
              X