No announcement yet.

Facebook Win!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Raps: Terminology changes. Look at the evolution of racial descriptors in the US over the last half century. Like a white person in a 100% Caucasian town, you may have not felt a need to update your day to day vocabulary, but other people work with these definitions more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepwalker View Post
      @Raps: Terminology changes.
      Very true - a modern person watching the "Goofy quits smoking" short would wonder why there was a mention of sexual orientation. Also, on the CB, the '70s term used to address someone whose name or "handle" you didn't know (Good Buddy) now has a VERY different meaning.

Comment

The term CIS - whatever the rest of it is, always confuses me.

For the most part I understand what it means, it would probably take too long for me to write down what though. But most times I've encountered CIS male its from posts that read "Penis Bad Man Bad." and I've come to look down on the use.

There were two recent posts on Imgur that are relevant to this thread post the first and post the second.

A lot of people have said that they have called women Dude before regardless of what their gender identity and orientation is, its more along the lines of
        "Dude! did you see that back flip that was awesome" but maybe not so 90's kid, granted if someone says "some dude" I assume male, but calling someone dude gender natural like "Hey buddy".

A lot of the terms probably do confuse people even if they are aware of and cool with more than straight bi and gay.

Pansexual for example was asked about (after getting the cookware joke out of the way) and someone genuinely asked "so that's Bi then?", but bisexuality is not very apt if you are also attracted to post and preop male to female or female to male transsexuals. [Edit: Transgendered I think is the more accepted term?]

Speaking of which, there is a shit tonne of names for transsexuals, very few are actually nice and predominantly aimed at male to female. But of the PG ones Trans man/woman confuse me, are you on about a man becoming a woman with Trans woman as it sounds like the most logical, then someone would use Trans Woman for a woman becoming a man.

I'll stick to listing myself as Heterosexual Male, I find women (of undisclosed shape and looks) attractive (except blonds) but I would be cool if I found out you still have boy parts at the end of the date, I wont say for sure what would happen, but I wouldn't be "OMG PENIS GET AWAY".
        But I'm not inclined to work out what term I should put down due to the highly unlikely event that I might date (really happy being single) let alone date someone who's transitioning.
        Last edited by Ginger Tea; 02-22-2014, 09:10 PM.

Comment

trandgendered is an adjective, so while it's the preferred term, you gotta stick "person" or something on the end cuz people act stupid if ya dont.
          i've typically heard trans male, female, w/e used with their preferred gender as the noun. it's more confusing dealing with genderqueer identifying than trans.

as to the part about dating a trans-MtF: being attracted to women, trans or cis, makes you straight if you're a man. the genitals are irrelevant, the person's gender is still female. if you ever were dating a trans woman and people bug on you for being Bi or Gay, they would be wrong.
          Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 02-23-2014, 11:51 AM.
          All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Working...
          X