Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel the stiffing was justified.

delivering-some-stupidity

Basic gist is customer orders a pizza and waits outside so the knocking wont set off the dogs and in turn wake the baby.

Driver correctly points out that anyone could say they ordered the pizza and is adamant that he is going to knock.

Customer opens the door (proving they live there) and pizza guy still rings the door bell setting off dogs and baby.

I get that he was being protective of anyone taking a pizza off them in the street, but it takes a special kind of stupid to still ring the door bell after someone you have been talking to has opened the door.

Driver was sucky, but customer could have taken a few steps. On ordering, let them know that he didn't want the door knocked because it would set off dogs and baby, so he'd be outside.

In a situation like that, where the driver ignores instructions, I wouldn't be stuck eating cold pizza due to delay in getting the baby calmed down - I'd refuse the order, call pizza place to let them know why the driver was coming back with the pie, then call another pizza place to get my cheesy goodness (and see if THEY can follow instructions).

Comment

Driver correctly points out that anyone could say they ordered the pizza and is adamant that he is going to knock.
      In theory, yes. But who's going to sit around on a stranger's porch just in case a pizza delivery comes along, which they're then going to pay for themselves? Why would anyone do that, ever?

I usually am outside by the time they pull up and have never had anyone even suggest I *might* be up to anything. The other day I picked up my new-to-me laptop from the mail lady without her ever getting out of the truck; I'd been sitting in the car in the driveway waiting and enjoying watching the snow melt. At absolute most, the thing to do would have been to ask for ID.

More plausible would be someone wanting a pizza who didn't have a handy address of their own in the area. But that's far from likely, and anyway, in that case ringing the doorbell would make even less sense.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        In theory, yes. But who's going to sit around on a stranger's porch just in case a pizza delivery comes along, which they're then going to pay for themselves? Why would anyone do that, ever?
        As a current delivery driver I WILL side with the driver on this situation. UNLESS the ticket specifically stated to NOT knock on the door or use the doorbell then the driver followed procedure.

I usually am outside by the time they pull up and have never had anyone even suggest I *might* be up to anything. The other day I picked up my new-to-me laptop from the mail lady without her ever getting out of the truck; I'd been sitting in the car in the driveway waiting and enjoying watching the snow melt. At absolute most, the thing to do would have been to ask for ID.

More plausible would be someone wanting a pizza who didn't have a handy address of their own in the area. But that's far from likely, and anyway, in that case ringing the doorbell would make even less sense.
        well I will give you 2 examples of WHY the driver was correct.

example #1
        driver gets to the specified address. all information has been "verified". someone is sitting on the porch. driver approaches the person AND is immediately surrounded by 3 other individuals one of whom has a loaded shotgun. The driver is robbed but unharmed.

Example #2
        same driver as in #1 but 2 weeks later
        Drivers arrives at the address (previous customer) with the customer at the door. The driver is then accosted by 3 individuals, and beaten and kicked about the head. driver in hospital for 10 days and off work for 3 months.

safety and security rules are literally written in blood and are there for a GOOD reason.

In the OP it SHOULD have been the customers responcibility to NOTIFY the drive/store ON THE ORDER about the situation.

I personally DO NOT like it when someone is standing outside especially when it is dark out.
        I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
        The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
          As a current delivery driver I WILL side with the driver on this situation. UNLESS the ticket specifically stated to NOT knock on the door or use the doorbell then the driver followed procedure.

safety and security rules are literally written in blood and are there for a GOOD reason.

In the OP it SHOULD have been the customers responcibility to NOTIFY the drive/store ON THE ORDER about the situation.

I personally DO NOT like it when someone is standing outside especially when it is dark out.
          On the whole verification process, I as stated believe the driver to be in the right, but once the customer entered the property using a key and was over the threshold, that's a big give away that they have legitimate cause to be in the building and when the door is open and there is someone facing you, why fucking knock/ring the bell?

As for the informing of circumstances, between CS and not always, people have claimed to have written instructions not followed and counter claimed that the order is processed via a 3rd party who failed to inform the franchise in question and other such break downs in communications, I cant vouch for the post in question as we only have an abridged account.

Comment

I would be so paranoid as a pizza delivery driver.

I have gone to great lengths and great tips to endear my local guys to me. They know to come around to the back to my suite and that it will be a few moments before I open the door after they knock. Because I need to capture the cat and throw her in the bathroom so she doesn't escape while I'm paying for it. -.-

Comment

Racket Man: first, your explanation does not relate to the excuse the driver provided. Second, his method would in no way hinder a robbery such as you describe. Third, even had there been nobody on the porch, that says precisely nothing about whether these hypothetical hidden robbers are around. And fourth, you again run into the problem that either they'd be waiting *just in case* there was going to be a delivery, which is silly, or else that the person who placed the order is in on it, and therefore won't help you even if you ring the bell.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
                example #1
                driver gets to the specified address. all information has been "verified". someone is sitting on the porch. driver approaches the person AND is immediately surrounded by 3 other individuals one of whom has a loaded shotgun. The driver is robbed but unharmed.

Example #2
                same driver as in #1 but 2 weeks later
                Drivers arrives at the address (previous customer) with the customer at the door. The driver is then accosted by 3 individuals, and beaten and kicked about the head. driver in hospital for 10 days and off work for 3 months.
                I'm not sure how ringing the doorbell would prevent either of the situations you provided. Still going to result in an asskicking if that's the intent of the people who ordered the pizza.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

You know the easiest way to know if the guy outside on the porch placed the order?
                  Ask him what was ordered.

No need to ring the bell and piss off the customer just to have what amounts to nothing more than a power trip or utter mindlessness, neither of which is useful in an employee outside of narrow circumstances.

Also, since payment happens at the door, it's not like anyone could steal someone else's pizza. Even credit card orders require the card at the door.
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Assuming the story is real, part of me wonders if the driver was just trolling for the lulz.

Comment

Part of me is siding with brick stupid.

I used to tell Captain Dickhead to not call before 5pm as I would be at work and even if I finished at half 4, my usual before more work was taken on, I would be cycling and not able to answer.

Every. Damn. Day. my phone would be ringing in my pocket at quarter to or there abouts, couldn't do a simple task even with multiple reminders resulted in me not turning my phone on till closer to 9 or later (I spoke to my brother one of the few to have my number via IM, so it never affected him getting in contact).

if he was trolling, well he got what he deserved.

The only other thing I can think of is some form of Autism or learning disability where things have to be done in a specific order and the internal check list can't be skipped so even with the door open and the customer in front of you, the bell has to be pressed to advance to the next stage, but the post gave no hints to that.

Comment

Interesting; I've almost never been asked to show my card at the door. Perhaps they just don't do it here, or maybe a long order history, ordering online, and tipping in advance helps.

Comment

Honestly to me what really makes the stiffing justified was the following utterance:

“I didn’t know! If you had said something!”

Comment

Last edited by static; 06-09-2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by static View Post
                              I'm always leery of those notalwayswhatever stories. They're naturally going to be biased in the favour of the person writing them and they're edited again before they're posed on the main site. There's probably more to it than we're hearing.
                              That is so true, the amount of threads on not always right I expect to end with "and then the police were called, SC had outstanding warrants* and the police rode away on unicorns farting rainbows."

*used to happen far too often.

There is very rarely a time where both sides offer their side except for those that make it to the news.

Comment

Working...
                              X