No announcement yet.

Opinions and The Big Bang Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The word I think you might be looking for, HYHYBT is disingenuous.

This comes up a lot when debating topics where one side is fairly obviously falling on the wrong side of history, but the adherents still cling to their outdated mode of thought.

They'll say "Well, I think that $issue is because of [thing that has been proven to be not true]," and then attack others for dismantling their claim because it was "just my opinion" as an attempt to stifle debate while being free to spout their ignorant drivel.

I have no problems with people stating opinions when it's something that's a matter of subjectivity for which there is no right or wrong. But if it's something that can be determined to be false with merely a cursory Google search, then it's gone from the realm of opinion to outright dishonesty.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Not quite what I was aiming for, but it works.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

The problem doesn't lie with the definition of "fact" but with the interpretation of the expression "statement of fact."

"The moon is made of cheese." is an assertion, a statement asserted as fact ("statement of fact") which may or may not be backed up by reality, because it is unqualified. It's one that happens to be untrue, and you can easily show this assertion to be wrong. You can also call them a liar.

"I believe the moon is made of cheese." is an opinion, due to the qualification "I believe." You can still go on to show the person their belief is wrong, but they never claimed the moon was in fact made of cheese, so you can't rightly call them a liar.

Comment

Originally posted by otakuneko View Post
          "I believe the moon is made of cheese." is an opinion, due to the qualification "I believe." You can still go on to show the person their belief is wrong, but they never claimed the moon was in fact made of cheese, so you can't rightly call them a liar.
          /\/\/\

This.

Comment

I keep forgetting my brother is colour blind as it never really seemed to be an issue, unless it came to wiring.

When he was in kindergarten he came home with a picture of a house on a green garden with a blue sky, though one of the colours was not how we see it, the colour and the bottle he reached for had a similar shade to his eyes when he got them off the shelf, or it just looked like how he saw the sky or grass and it was not a case of this 'grey' looks like that 'grey' where one is grey and the other isn't, I do not recall what the colours were as I was a toddler myself when it happened and only know of it by anecdote.

But as stated before, blood is red, we say Red my CD pen is Red, it says so on the tube, we are taught that Red the word for the colour of blood, that the flags of Britain France and America are red white and blue, if as stated earlier, a teacher or parent raises a child to believe that the flag is made of the colours Green Purple and Teal, then that is what they will believe until proved otherwise, even then that is not a given, it all depends on how steadfast they are in clinging to a falsehood that had been instilled since an early age.

As I said (typed earlier) I forget my brother is colour blind as it never became an issue, he would not point at a cow and say it is Black and Green, even if his eyes would show wrong colours should I or anyone else be able to see through his*, just as he does not point to a cow and say "That's a Zebra".

Stripped of the language of colours you can delve into the concept of red white and grey flags, if you have colour swatches with no words on them and no easily identifiable coding (ie no html hex colours) and ask people to write what colour they see on them, or attribute them to a real object like a blue sky or green grass, then we can see who sees grass in a yellow hue.

But on the whole, no one outside of this thread has ever uttered the phrase Red White and Grey when describing the American Flag.

*In the book "the pig that wants to be eaten" there is a page or two on the subject of viewing the world through someone else's eyes, in the tale the words are the same, but all the colours are swapped out, one of my old phones would occasionally flip the red and the blue (as well as mirror the screen), black, white and pure greys stayed the same as they were not affected seeing as they had an identical value, but it looked like a photographs negative, who knows, someone somewhere sees the world with a red/blue swap and sees cyan as yellow, hell it might be the case that only I see the world in this colour and everyone else sees the world where things are all askew, but speaking in English we would not know as we all agree that the sky is blue grass is green and blood is red, even if we see totally different colours to each other.
            Last edited by Ginger Tea; 03-12-2014, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X