Anti-Vaccine Person Jenny McCarthy Gets Demolished by Twitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Vaccine Person Jenny McCarthy Gets Demolished by Twitter

Four months ago, I posted a thread about an "anti-vaxxer" who got reprimanded by a vaccine maker for posting an anti-vaccine screed. I could only hope that the anti-vaxxer was shamed by that. I doubt it.

Well known anti-vaxxer Jenny McCarthy recently tweeted the following ...

What is the most important personality trait you look for in a mate? Reply using #JennyAsks
    7:00 PM - 13 Mar 2014
    ... the responses were epic.

Seth Mnooken, the author of The Panic Virus, wrote ...

Someone who vaccinates, b/c I'd want our kids to survive. @JennyMcCarthy: Most important trait you look for in mate? Reply w/ #JennyAsks
    8:11 PM - 14 Mar 2014
    All I can do for those respondents is to applaud you.

Jenny McCarthy Asks; the Internet Slam Dunks
    Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

I myself do not know why Jenny McArthy is being bashed for her views. She's entitled to her opinion as we all are.

That said, one person does have to wonder about all those vaccines that kids are being forced to take with the rise in neurological disorders. McCarthy isn't the only one who thinks it's more than just a coincidence....
    AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

Comment

When you see a baby die because of chicken pox that was in their throat... Yea I'll keep up the vaccines.

Comment

HEMI, I seriously doubt that vaccines are the cause of a rise in neurological disorders. The amounts of material injected is so miniscule, that you get about the same amount in less than a month, from normal foodstuff (yes, including the discontinued dreaded mercury, if you eat fish). The only difference is that the vaccines give you along the way, a neutered/weakend pathogen, which is preffered to an active pathogen, for the body to learn to defend itself.

If you're still sceptical and want to find a root cause for the increase of childhood neurological disorders, may I suggest looking into when and how diagnoses such as oppositional defiant disorder and similar started appearing. (Hell, looking at the symptom for ODD, I exhibited all but 1 of those symptoms for most of my early childhood.)

Comment

I loathe Jenny McCarthy and her ilk. It's one thing to have an opinion, but when your opinion causes serious harm (there has been a significant rise in diseases that people can be immunized against because of the anti-vaccine crowd, including whooping cough and measles- and some kids have died, sometimes because they couldn't be vaccinated as they were too young, and now can't rely on herd immnunity), then we have a problem. Thougn would I bash her on Twitter? No, I'm not on Twitter and if I was I certainly wouldn't be reading her feed.

There are videos on Youtube of babies suffering from whooping cough. Watch one of those poor little mites and tell me vaccination isn't worth the miniscule risk.

The only study that ever found a link between neurological disorders (specifically autism) and vaccines has been so thoroughly discredited that it's absurd to even think of citing it as evidence. There may be no rise in these disorders at all; simply better methods of diagnosis, or there could be any variety of enviromental factors that could contribute.

Sorry to rant a bit; this is a sore point with me. All these people read a few articles on the internet and listen to celebrities who have no scientific training and think they know better than real, actual scientists who have performed decades of research in the subject. I understand they are trying to do what they think is best for their children, but sorry, they're just plain wrong.
          Last edited by anakhouri; 03-28-2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HEMI6point1 View Post
            I myself do not know why Jenny McArthy is being bashed for her views. She's entitled to her opinion as we all are.

That said, one person does have to wonder about all those vaccines that kids are being forced to take with the rise in neurological disorders. McCarthy isn't the only one who thinks it's more than just a coincidence....
            yes your entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.
            Her opinion is not based in any evidence and people are equating her opinion to scientific fact. Her opinion is based on a single flawed study that was withdrawn and the physician had his license revoked over the methods used that were done without consent and highly unethical, oh and he was trying to discredit the current method because he held the patent on an alternate form of vaccines. She STILL claims a discredited, withdrawn study as evidence.

New study just proved changes in autistic children's brains occur BEFORE BIRTH

as far as the "rise in neurological disorders", its actually earlier and BETTER diagnosis. the amount of children previously diagnosed as mentally retarded or "slow" dropped the same amount as autism diagnosis rose. Moving from one category to the proper category isn't a rise, it's a correction of categorization, because autism is now known to be a wide spectrum of disorders rather than just one or two.
            Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Oh, I heard about that new study too, BK. It was on NPR. Thanks for reminding me of it!

Comment

That just means it's your PARENTS' having been vaccinated that makes you autistic
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Noone is entitled to _respect_ for her opinion. And one certainly can wonder, but when they loudly continue to 'wonder' after repeated studies have no link....

A bit like if I 'wondered' aloud if you broke into my car last night, since you live next door to the lot, and, upon being shown footage from the parking lot security cameras exonerating you, kept 'wondering' aloud and threw in some slander of the corrupt security guards and police, and any witnesses that show up to testify.

Comment

A favorite article of mine, https://theconversation.com/no-youre...r-opinion-9978 No, you're not entitled to your own opinion, especially if it's wrong.

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                    That just means it's your PARENTS' having been vaccinated that makes you autistic
                    You just know someone's already made that arguement I'm sure
                    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                    Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

you are entitled to your opinion, provided that YOU are the only person affected by said opinion. When you start affecting other people, you are no longer entitled to the opinion unless you can prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                        as far as the "rise in neurological disorders", its actually earlier and BETTER diagnosis. the amount of children previously diagnosed as mentally retarded or "slow" dropped the same amount as autism diagnosis rose. Moving from one category to the proper category isn't a rise, it's a correction of categorization, because autism is now known to be a wide spectrum of disorders rather than just one or two.
                        Holy crap...I'm *agreeing* with BK

But seriously, I think the reason that autism (and similar) cases are rising, is that we know what it is now. Remember, decades ago, people with those conditions were usually written off as being--for lack of a better term--"fucked up" and couldn't be allowed out in society. Back then, mental illness was taboo, and society tried to hide it. These people had a condition that nobody knew (or cared) what it was, and threw them into various facilities. It wasn't until relatively recently that someone decided to figure out how to help them.

I don't know about other areas, but Pittsburgh is very lucky to have a dedicated facility for autism and similar cases. From what I understand, they have been successful with their patients; most of whom go on to lead productive lives. In fact, the city throws a sports car race and show every year, and all proceeds go to the school and charities.

Comment

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one - and most of them are full of shit.

Comment

This right here is why Jenny McArthy is not entitled to her opinion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-epidemic.html

This isn't an isolated incident, either. I specifically picked measles cuz a lot of ignorant people think that measles is a minor illness that doesn't really matter if a child gets it, and that a child can shrug it off with little or no risk of any side effects.

People who believe that bullshit can read the following passage, written by author Roald Dahl after his daughter died from measles.

http://www.ovg.ox.ac.uk/blogs/ojohn/...gerous-measles
                            Measles: a dangerous illness, by Roald Dahl
                            Olivia, my eldest daughter, caught measles when she was seven years old. As the illness took its usual course I can remember reading to her often in bed and not feeling particularly alarmed about it. Then one morning, when she was well on the road to recovery, I was sitting on her bed showing her how to fashion little animals out of coloured pipe-cleaners, and when it came to her turn to make one herself, I noticed that her fingers and her mind were not working together and she couldn’t do anything.

“Are you feeling all right?” I asked her.

“I feel all sleepy, ” she said.

In an hour, she was unconscious. In twelve hours she was dead.

The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her.

That was twenty-four years ago in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her.

On the other hand, there is today something that parents can do to make sure that this sort of tragedy does not happen to a child of theirs. They can insist that their child is immunised against measles. I was unable to do that for Olivia in 1962 because in those days a reliable measles vaccine had not been discovered. Today a good and safe vaccine is available to every family and all you have to do is to ask your doctor to administer it.

It is not yet generally accepted that measles can be a dangerous illness.

Believe me, it is. In my opinion parents who now refuse to have their children immunised are putting the lives of those children at risk.

In America, where measles immunisation is compulsory, measles like smallpox, has been virtually wiped out.

Here in Britain, because so many parents refuse, either out of obstinacy or ignorance or fear, to allow their children to be immunised, we still have a hundred thousand cases of measles every year. [Since this was written in 1986, the success of the MMR vaccination has reduced this figure to several thousand each year, but unvaccinated children are still at risk, and some do still die of measles].

Out of those, more than 10,000 will suffer side effects of one kind or another.

At least 10,000 will develop ear or chest infections.

About 20 will die.

LET THAT SINK IN.

Every year around 20 children will die in Britain from measles.

So what about the risks that your children will run from being immunised?

They are almost non-existent. Listen to this. In a district of around 300,000 people, there will be only one child every 250 years who will develop serious side effects from measles immunisation! That is about a million to one chance. I should think there would be more chance of your child choking to death on a chocolate bar than of becoming seriously ill from a measles immunisation.

So what on earth are you worrying about?

It really is almost a crime to allow your child to go unimmunised.

The ideal time to have it done is at 13 months, but it is never too late. All school-children who have not yet had a measles immunisation should beg their parents to arrange for them to have one as soon as possible.

Incidentally, I dedicated two of my books to Olivia, the first was James and the Giant Peach’. That was when she was still alive. The second was ‘The BFG’, dedicated to her memory after she had died from measles. You will see her name at the beginning of each of these books. And I know how happy she would be if only she could know that her death had helped to save a good deal of illness and death among other children.
                            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

"Look children, the playground is dangerous. It has all sort of nasty things on it. Go and play in the streets, it is much safer."

If I said that and ONE child died, I would be arrested.

Where is the Arrest of Jenny McCarthy?
                              Noble Grand: Do you swear, on your sacred honor, to uphold the principles of Friendship, Love and Truth?
                              Me: I do.
                              (snippet of the Initiation ceremony of the Fraternal Order of Odd Fellows)

Comment

Working...
                              X