Hostile Worker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostile Worker?

I started to put this in sightings on CS.com, but got worried that it might cause some issues. I am hoping that if there is any government workers here, that I don't offend them with this. Not my intention. There also has to be some background before I begin.

Start backgroundI am a polite person by nature. I say please and thank you, and if something goes wrong in a store or other place I assure them that I don't have a problem with it. End Background

Recently I went in to a government office (A welfare office, because I have to report that I moved, so none of my services for medical/etc get cut off). It was over all a good trip. We turned our information in, got an appointment right away to talk to somebody. They done everything for us. Good so far.

However, it was while we were waiting for the appointment and we had sit for awhile. So I went to ask how long it might be. Keep in mind I asked nicely, and it wasn't what the person said. .. but how they said it. They said "Sir, they know you are here sir." And it sounded hostile. I put it off as them having a bad day or something.

Well I went back in today.. and got the same hostile sounding thing. Again not what they said, but how they said it. All that she said was "Can I help you sir" but it again it was like I called her a name or something. I just have no idea what I did to this person.. or maybe they have bad experiences with the guys in the area or what..

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
    Recently I went in to a government office...
    I think that's your problem Seriously though, it seems that every worker (at least locally) is a bitter asshole towards the public. They can get away with it, because in many cases, it's nearly impossible to get rid of them.

Comment

As in the apocrophal story about an artillery piece with a defective design, that someone referred to as "the civil servant" - after all, it didn't work and couldn't be fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
        I just have no idea what I did to this person.. or maybe they have bad experiences with the guys in the area or what..
        It's probably that. Think about all the stories we get on CS about folks who think they have something coming to them...and now concentrate them into one place. While I, as a cashier, may have to deal with the folk who don't want to follow the rules of the food related welfare programs ("What do you mean this bread won't work? It's bread!"), the workers there have to deal with all of them.

And while you're nice and polite, we all know not everyone's nice and polite.

So you may have gotten bad luck and hit them on bad days, or it may be a defense mechanism.
        I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
          As in the apocrophal story about an artillery piece with a defective design, that someone referred to as "the civil servant" - after all, it didn't work and couldn't be fired.
          Reminds me of the double-barrelled cannon, though its problem was differnt.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            Reminds me of the double-barrelled cannon, though its problem was differnt.
            You mean the black-powder muzzleloader that was designed to fire a pair of cannonballs linked by a chain (so that the shot would "sweep" a wider path)? I've read about that one, and its big problem was getting the 2 barrels to go off at the same time - ifwhen they went off more than a couple milliseconds apart, the ball in the "slow" barrel would "anchor" the chain, causing the ball from the "fast" barrel to whip around.

Comment

That's the one, yes. A fine example of the difference between a good idea and an idea that works.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
              X