Minecraft, Mods, and Java

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minecraft, Mods, and Java

So I play Minecraft, and I've got a bunch of mods (heavily influenced by the likes of Yogscast, Tekkit, and Feed the Beast) as well as a resource pack that I prefer to run.

Or at least I try to do all that.

You see, I've been having some Java problems. Occasionally Minecraft will run perfectly well for over an hour. More often Minecraft will only run for between 5 and 10 minutes - if it'll load the world I've selected at all - before it tells me that it's run out of Java memory. I've increased the amount of Java memory Minecraft can use up to the maximum 2GB, I've started cutting out mods, I've even gone back to the default texture. And I'm still having the memory problem. It's maddening.

I hate the fact that I can't run the mods I want despite the fact that I've seen other people use them (and more) without problems. I hate the fact that I'm having to cut mods that I use a lot of just so I can actually play the game. I hate the fact that I'm almost afraid to update the mods I have out of Java memory concerns. And (perhaps most of all) I hate the fact that I can't seem to fix the damn issue in a permanent manner.

That sounds more like a memory leak than a memory shortage frankly. Something Minecraft is rather infamous for. ><

Comment

So how would I go about fixing this? Can I even fix it?

Comment

I am using ATLauncher and I originally allocated 8 out of my 16 gig (4Gig was more than enough) in their options menu, I was advised that the Yogscast complete pack needed 2 gig minimum to itself (so 4 Gig in the PC minimum).

How forge sets up the RAM I don't know as forge never installed and worked for me, but then I started using the unofficial Moon Quest pack as my first modded experience after ignoring the vanilla game for about a year and migrated to the official pack when it was launched.

A few versions of the mod pack back I was encountering memory leaks, task manager would list two instances of Java (the ATLauncher console and Minecraft itself) one at a gig and the other creeping over 9gig when playing and after booting up (with a 75% sphax resource pack) it would list 6 gig just on the idle screen.

It's calmed down now after a few tweaks by the pack admins and I'm showing <4 idle and only a hundred or so meg for the console.

EDIT:
        Oh and 64 bit Java 7 is the minimum this works with, 32bit wont allow for more ram and other issues, so they say "install 64bit java 7 and allocate at least 2 preferably 4 gig"

Comment

What's your Operating System and your RAM amount in your system?

Basically Minecraft uses a fair chunk of RAM due to it's design and adding mods in and especially a texture (sorry resource) pack increases that to considerable levels. as said earlier, a 64bit run will allow you to allocate more RAM into the game but it requires that you have the RAM available and a 64bit environment (ie 64bit Java, OS, and CPU).

Your alternative is to pare down stuff in the game. Start with the resource pack as those eat up a LOT then start to pare down the mods. The problem is it's a short term solution. As you build out eventually you're going to have the problem again.

Comment

A lot of people are having problems with Win 8.1, Java, and Minecraft. As of right now Mojang is trying to fix it's part but it's major hinderance is Java and Windows.

Comment

lucky I stayed on windows 8 (was prebuilt I had no choice in OS).

Comment

There's a low limit to how much RAM is allocated to applications (2GB, I think). I had to download and run a program to increase that limit. I want to say it was called Large Address Aware, but I don't remember and won't be able to check until I get home from work tonight.

I had to run it for the Mass Effect series as well as Dragon Age and Skyrim to get it work with all of the heavy modding I did.
                Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Working...
                X