My double glazing rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My double glazing rant

Around this time last year, the guy in the room below me moved out and the land lord said he wasn't going to let the room out until it was double glazed and stated he wanted to do mine too.

I've accumulated a decade of clutter here, books DVD's and the odd bits and bods, things that normally end up in the spare bedroom, but I live in a room in a shared house so there is no where outside of storage units for things to go and I've got one full of comic long boxes as they hold DVD's nicely, so I said to him that it would be best if I move my stuff downstairs for a week whilst he does mine and the carpet too as it was tatty when I moved in and a decade later it isn't any better. A week later the room was let and nothing was done about windows, though he did want me to clear the area, where pray tell am I to put things? he said I could sell or throw out things, as if everything in my room was purely rubbish and I should be on hoarders.

My bed broke and was propped up at the corner by a box, it wasn't an unsafe bed, but the mattress again was crap ten years ago, so to get access to the windows the bed needed to move, that meant dismantling it and he took the mattress away to the dump, I forgot how much stuff I had under there, it was out of sight out of mind but more or less stacked up in a corner.

Previous to knowing about the window access I was going to treat myself to a 40-50" HDTV with my redundancy to go with my i7 I bought as soon as the redundancy money hit the bank, I just needed to have a clear area to set up a TV stand at the foot of my bed, well the bed gone and things piled against where it was going to be scuppered the idea and I can't get it wall mounted.

Winter comes around and nothing is done about the windows and my bed is still in pieces as I was expecting him to actually do something about mine even though it means working around my possessions.

January he knocks on my door and asks me to clear way for the glazers, I ask when they are coming and he says some time in the summer, so why ask me to move half my room to a wall 6 months in advance?

So needless to say I did nothing, I waited for him to say "Glazers are coming on this date" then I would do something about it, preferably rent a unit for a month and have the whole room redecorated, I already have most of my stuff piled into a corner as it was under my bed and am sleeping on the floor as I just knew the minute I fixed and rebuilt the bed and put a new mattress down he would want to be in the next day with the glazers.

He comes round fortnight ago and asks how I'm coming along moving stuff, I tell him I was waiting on him giving me a date so I could get a storage unit and he tells me he was waiting on me saying the area was clear so he could hire a glazer.

WTF!?

I told him that if he did how I suggested about me moving my stuff downstairs for a week it would have been done and dusted and the woman who moved in moved out in December whilst I was away at my brothers, the reason, it was bloody cold cos the windows were old and rattily.

I said I would rent a unit and move things out and we could do the carpet too, I've moved most that I can by hand and am now looking at grabbing a guy I know to help with a few of the larger/heavier things outside of furniture via his car.

So I've cleared the way for them to measure the windows, well the 2nd just needs 24 hours notice to move things, but nothing that will get in the way of just measuring which is all they will do at that point and reminded him that I've had to take out a storage unit, lucky to get one as they get a tonne of students leaving things for the summer before going back in the Autumn.

I can get the whole room into the one I have, I just need to actually get it there, but I have the nagging doubt that even if I do it will still be a long time before he gets his thumb out of his arse and I will have given up and moved things back as he's not paying for the storage I am and I am not pissing what's left of my redundancy away storing my whole room.

it's amazing he can fit his thumb up his arse while his head is already there.

Comment

Update:

After the delay of him not getting my text message about my unit and the glazers being good to go it was 3 or so weeks into the units lifespan when the guy came and measured, I told him aside from the Thursday-Monday of the Folk Festival here in Cambridge I would be good to go if given notice so I could clear the other window.

Ball was in land lords court, nothing before folk festival which was annoying, then I get a call late Tuesday from the glazers asking if he can come in first thing Wednesday, luckily I had managed to get some more smaller things moved and did move everything before he got there.

So that's that part done and dusted, just carpet wallpaper (part of the last shitty bodge job fell off the wall and has been glued in place but it could do with new plastering TBH.

Guy downstairs is moving out (glazer thought he was doing that set of windows when he first got the call to come to our house) hardly see him so no idea if its the cold at night, but we are in the summer so its not been to bad in my room with the old windows.

You would think he would say "He's moving out on the xth, what you haven't moved by then you can put downstairs for a week." nope, I'm paying for the unit with no meantion of reimbursement.

Guy upstairs is also getting a carpet done, I heard via another housemate he is moving downstairs for a week whilst its done.

W T to the F?

He gets to use the vacant room and I, the one who suggested it to him when the room first vacated and he was going to do both rooms windows and redecorate downstairs due to the state the tenant left it in, am paying out of pocket for a storage unit (and van as I am at the stage where nothing can go without doing myself a mischief).

Sorely tempted to say fuck it, I have till the end of the month to empty unit back into the room and leave the broken bed in the garden for him to take away.

Comment

Working...
      X