Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a point in making a YouTube account if ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a point in making a YouTube account if ...

1> You are not uploading videos
    2> You have no wish to post comments
    3> Unless YouTube change their policy again, I can watch videos just fine without outside of those flagged as mature content*.

Someone posted a comment along the lines of "Everybody has a YouTube account" and I said I didn't and gave those reasons above as to why I didn't need/want.

Honestly what would I really gain from signing up?
    I wouldn't click like favourite or subscribe, I just press play watch the advert and then when it lets me change to HD, I don't see this changing.

Subscribing is redundant as the ones I go to post daily to a schedule, so I don't need an email telling me that a video is up at 6pm GMT, I'm normally F5ing the page then.

I feel it will be one more password/username combination to forget and I don't see it as any use unless any of the 3 reasons change.

One person did say that there is now a "WATCHED" watermark on thumbnails, which I replied, I saw that and I'm not logged in.

*99% of those were just "relevant video" links in comments so I can live without, only one video exists that I would like to watch, but I know I can get it from alternate sources.

No point that I know of.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
      Someone posted a comment along the lines of "Everybody has a YouTube account" and I said I didn't and gave those reasons above as to why I didn't need/want.
      This statement might stem from the fact that if you have a Gmail or Google account, you automatically have a YouTube account. Because a pretty fair number of people, in the US anyway, have Gmail accounts, then "everybody" has a YouTube account.

I, personally, rarely comment on YouTube videos, since pretty much every video invokes Godwin's Law pretty quickly, but I do use channel subscription on the site, which you need an account to do.

That's pretty much the full extent I use my account for on YouTube, though.

Comment

What TheHuckster said. It's a personal playlist and a bunch of quicklinks to the uploaders I follow; I don't use it for anything else.
        "Judge not, lest ye get shot in your bed while your sleep." - Liz, The Dreadful
        "If you villainize people who contest your points, you will eventually find yourself surrounded by enemies that you made." - Philip DeFranco

Comment

I largely use mine for subscribed videos. I now subscribe to too many channels to keep track of on my own.

Comment

I mostly use my youtube account for subscriptions and then playlists/favorites to keep track of things I want to remember (because my memory is super shoddy anyway).
            "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

I've actually had my account since '06, and have become that "old" guy who doesn't like the constant layout changes every so often. Leave YouTube alone, dag'nabbit!
              "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Mine is solely for uploading cat videos.

Comment

Oh, so you're the one!
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I have a YouTube account with uploads, but the videos are only meant to be seen by family members and therefore hidden from search + password protected.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                      Oh, so you're the one!
                      I can't help it. My cat is magnificent. After the CS fiasco though I haven't used Youtube for anything else for fear of what morons might do in the comments. -.-

Comment

aww, gk i'll go whiteknight for you

before i started vlogging, i was using it just for subscriptions. when you have an insane amount of random hobbies, they pile up fast lol.
                        All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernZel View Post
                          I have a YouTube account with uploads, but the videos are only meant to be seen by family members.
                          Well as you upload, even if the videos are private and perhaps in single digits, you kinda need an account.

If I were to upload videos then as I stated in my first post, yes I would get an account.

Knowing you get a YouTube account foist upon you with Google mail/plus/whatever sheds light on why I seemed to be in the minority, but so far I haven't seen any real reason to get one nor shall I unless I get a Google account.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
                            aww, gk i'll go whiteknight for you

before i started vlogging, i was using it just for subscriptions. when you have an insane amount of random hobbies, they pile up fast lol.
                            It wasn't the comments on my vids that were the problem. I use to sort of vlog some of my CS stories until some idjits from CS went and linked my accounts on CS to the subject of said stories in the comments of their vids. Threatening the reveal of my identity in Meat Space.

My posts were never quite the same after that as I didn't trust the site anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                              My posts were never quite the same after that as I didn't trust the site anymore.
                              i remember that.
                              still won't retract my offer of defense.

then again, if you did go back to other stories, the cat would probably get jealous of losing his/her screen time.
                              All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X