Is this wrong of me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this wrong of me?

A comment my mom made regarding my brother's wife this morning got me thinking about this, and while I definitely DO understand about not feeling well during pregnancy, at the same time, I don't think that being pregnant should automatically be an excuse/pass to be grumpy and unpleasant. Not that my brother's wife has been like this, but to give a few examples of where my feelings stem from:

- back in high school, my family went to California with my Aunt Myrtle and her kids, she was about four months along with her last kid, and the way I remember things, she was VERY inclined to be irritable and impatient.....I don't recall specifics other than she expected my sister and I to help watch our cousins, and was a bit cranky about it.

- when my sister was pregnant with her son, we had taken a trip to San Diego, and I remember she was cranky/irritable, and seemed to take it out on me. (no idea why, but I find it ironic that she had complained about how Aunt Myrtle acted while pregnant, and here she was acting the exact same way)

yes and no. Pregnancy DOES tend to make people more irritable, so allowances should be made for that, but it doesn't give someone an automatic pass to be an asshole without consequences.

Basically, if they are trying to control the crankiness, then they should be given more leeway than usual. if they are using it as an excuse to make other people miserable, that's not acceptable.

Comment

It makes them more irritable, but it doesn't give them a free pass.

My friend is almost due to give birth to her second child. During her first pregnancy, she was all smiles, happy, healthy, and was more affectionate and emotional on the good side.

With this one, aside from the complications, she is more sick, irritable, and doesn't want people touching her as much (she is generally a touchy person.)
      I saw her a lot over World Cup (She's from Argentina :P) and I knew her since high school, so I'm bound to hug her a lot myself. Every time she felt bad, she apologized ahead of time, "Sorry, I may seem snappish or bitchy, it's just a difficult day today." And she actually still made the effort NOT to be as much, even though I told her it was okay and I understood.
      She still apologized and realized it wasn't her usual behaviour, nor was it okay behaviour.

I wish a lot of my pregnant friends were like her XD

Comment

It'll make you grumpy, but it doesn't give you an excuse to be bitchy or lazy for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by sophie View Post
          It'll make you grumpy, but it doesn't give you an excuse to be bitchy or lazy for that matter.
          I think Aunt Myrtle must have seen it that way, because I do remember her basically giving the kids an "I'm pregnant so I'm entitled to be bitchy" kind of speech before we left on the said trip. (I've also since found out that her mom had expected her to help out with her younger siblings, so that may have been part of it)

Comment

Working...
          X