I keep my relationship shit off FB for a reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I keep my relationship shit off FB for a reason

I'm 23. When I was younger, like, 18-21, I would post my relationship problems on facebook, because I was being stupid. People from internet and real life got themselves involved when they really shouldn't have, and it was my fault.

That particular relationship ended awhile back, but I'm actually with someone else now...I don't put it on FB for my own personal reasons, but I don't make myself available or seeming single either. I just use FB for myself and my mundane life.

A lot of personal friends, my whole family, and the friends from online, almost everyone knows I am with someone. (I got with T, the kind roommate I mentioned.)

Me and T agreed to keep it off facebook for a couple of months while he is in Japan, and we're okay with this.

Some people around us...are apparently not. A now former friend is going around basically trying to say T wanted to be with her instead of me and that's why our FB says we're single.

...Ha. I'd give more details, but let me say something that sounds egotistical, but is the damned truth;

T loves me more than anything, or anyone. He stood by my side as a best friend, and now boyfriend who has serious intentions since we knew each other for a few years now.
    I knew he loved me all this time, I just needed time to get my head out of my own ass.

People look down on me for it, but its none of their damned business in the end. Me and T have each other, we support each other's decisions, and that's all that matters. If you're going to try to use that to make us seem weak, then that shows that we let Social Media dictate our true relationship standards a little too much, and that kind of thinking can fuck off.

I do post about my relationship, occasionally. But my page is mostly just my dogs and pictures I find funny. And what idiot I had to deal with at work that day. I don't post any drama that goes on in my life. That part is no one's business.

Comment

I'm not as adament that everything you do together needs to be on Faceook as much as I was when I was with Satan Himself, but if a guy won't take one single photo with me or change the relationship status after a good month or two together.....I wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
        I'm not as adament that everything you do together needs to be on Faceook as much as I was when I was with Satan Himself, but if a guy won't take one single photo with me or change the relationship status after a good month or two together.....I wonder.
        We do take pics together, and mention each other in comments often. Its just as a relationship, we don't say anything like "My Boyfriend T is the best in the whole world LOVE LOVE LOVE" or something.

Also, recently since he's been gone and he's working 3 part time jobs to save up for coming back, I've been posting more on his wall, usually in Japanese, how much I appreciate him and how much I miss him....

The not changing the status is mostly my idea, he just goes with the flow..

Comment

My FB status says "engaged"; however, nothing about my relationship with Fiance goes on FB. Cuz it's no-one's business.
          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Facebook has the magical ability to destroy relationships, even seen more than a few go bad because of it. I had an ex-friend insist that my husband isnt real because he doesn't have a Facebook page, this was after I posted wedding photos.

Comment

I don't believe it's Facebook itself, or even the thing going around that it causes depression.

I think it's just too much overshare, and the fact that people get a false sense of what other people's lives are like. Save for the negative nellies or drama kings/queens we all have on our lists, most people post good things, like kid/family photos/engagements/weddings/gifts from small to lavish/etc. I've fallen victim myself to thinking everyone has it better than me just because they are engaged or these girls get flowers a lot. Truth is, you only see a photo, a moment in life. You don't, and won't know if anything is bad or not perfect, because they probably won't share it (unless they are one of those people listed above). And unfortunately, there are a lot of people who make things like that happen just so their lives look perfect. I doubt people truly fake things, but I don't doubt they fudge it.

Though on the other hand, I do think we'd all be better off without it, in the end.

Just some food for thought, though. I've been going through a really rough time this past like, year and a half, and reading an article about that really helped me keep things in perspective.

Comment

My bf and I both have our relationship status hidden. We don't need feel the need to shout it to the world.

Everyone in our lives know we are together though.

Sometimes I think fb is more drama then it is worth.

Comment

Working...
                X