Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't preach about responsibility :/ (rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't preach about responsibility :/ (rant)

Okay today I went to the Scottish games for my city.
    Before, I met up with friends I was going with at their hotel. I am absolutely sure I had my keys that have a bunch of keychains on me (just house keys, old and current).
    I keep it big and noticeable on purpose, but sometime throughout the day, they disappeared.

I moved back with Dad temporarily so these are his keys.

I only ever lost house keys once before permanently. (I was 15/16) These were also dad's, and I got the biggest scolding in my life.

So understandably, I am pretty nervous about telling him.
    And...I was right to be.

He tried to look for them in his car since the off chance they may be there existed, as he dropped me off at my friend's hotel.

They weren't there, so he absolutely loses his cool. Starts calling me irresponsible, insulting me telling me how I need to grow up, and how I "constantly lose my shit" (worse I do is a debit card and once I find out, I cancel it automatically. I need a better, less loose wallet)
    Mind you, he is saying this after searching his car in a rage that left important bank papers about his accounts and credit on our lawn that I caught, not him.
    So...scream at me about responsibility while not paying attention to the paper you fling out?

I love my dad, but he gets pretty hypocritical when he loses his cool. But I'm at his mercy. But as I'm being screamed at how he will need to pay 100 bucks to replace the locks, I'm trying to figure out how to pay for that if I don't find the keys tomorrow...cause I'm in danger of being kicked out.
    But I have no money.

I tried calling the lost and found area for the Games, but no one answers the phone...
    I tried calling the hotel too but they won't check the room since there is a guest there. (I'm hoping a cleaner just missed it over there..)

When i told dad I made a craigslist post, without posting any personal info (even gave different zipcode) I got insulted even more.

Okay. When I was little, I lost things constantly at school. Like jackets, money, etc.
    Key phrase; When I was LITTLE.
    But as I said, I only lost house keys ONCE before.
    So it hurts, and aggravates me, that he insults me, tells me I'm immature and need to "grow the fuck up"....when just last week he lost a Costco card, and his blue tooth before, and some other items. (Its life, I don't insult him over it. Why should I?)
    I never met an adult who didn't lose an item here or there. Keys are important, yes, but the day isn't over, and I'm trying to find them by tomorrow afternoon.

But no, he is going on about the costs to repair the locks already and is thinking about kicking me out...
    Just greattt....

I know this isn't the main point, but you can get locks rekeyed for about $5 each.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      I know this isn't the main point, but you can get locks rekeyed for about $5 each.
      I think he wants to replace the whole thing. Which I also find a bit ridiculous, as well....

Comment

Like he's never made a mistake before. Mistakes happen. There are ways to prevent them, but it's natural to miss things here and there in our daily busy lives.

I have similar problems whenever something happens to my belongings. I've misplaced keys or my wallet in my own house because I happened to place it in some other location than I always do (once out of the 500+ times I've placed it correctly in the last 2 or so years) and get chastised for it. It usually just takes an extra 5 minutes to find where I left it. There was one time in the last 10 years I absentmindedly forgot to sign a check I had to make out for a payment, resulting in a $5 late fee and a little aggravation. And the thing is when things like this happen I'm usually already angry at myself for it as it is. I don't need someone else to add to the frustration I already have.

Regarding the craigslist thing, I actually had a cellphone slip out of my pocket at a restaurant a few years ago, and found it in the "lost and found" section in CL. The guy was really friendly about it, and even adamantly refused my reward for finding it. I would not only post an ad asking if anyone found keys, but also check if anyone found your keys and is posting it on CL.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
          And the thing is when things like this happen I'm usually already angry at myself for it as it is. I don't need someone else to add to the frustration I already have.
          I'm the same way. It's a personal berserk button for me to be reminded of the 'seriousness' of some little mistake I made. Or worse, ask me why I lost something, as if I purposely lost it for the thrill of having to find it. And they talk to me like I'm the idiot?

I already have enough stress, I don't need sanctimonious people adding insult to injury.

Comment

I have often found that people who find certain faults in others and get the angriest about said faults, the fastest, are utterly incapable of seeing those own faults in themselves.
            "Judge not, lest ye get shot in your bed while your sleep." - Liz, The Dreadful
            "If you villainize people who contest your points, you will eventually find yourself surrounded by enemies that you made." - Philip DeFranco

Comment

Working...
            X