Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"American Football" is still football...and so is soccer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "American Football" is still football...and so is soccer...

Interestingly enough, a lot of people in the UK like to complain about Americans calling "football" the word "soccer".

But here's the thing: It was called "soccer" in the UK first.

Why? To distinguish it from Rugby.

So in a nutshell, we fast forward a little and there's "Association Football" and "Rugby Football".

And sometimes, they would be called slang terms. Like if a group wanted to play Rugby, they might call it "ruggers" or "rugger". Same with "Association football", it was shortened to "soccer" (shortened version of "Association"), hence the name "Soccer"...

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....e-word-soccer/

So I don't get the complaints from "soccer" fans...

I find it no different than any other dialect or idiomatic difference between American English and British English. We call it soccer, they call it football. So friggen what? Do we have to call garbage rubbish, too?

In my observations, though, many "arguments" over petty differences between American and British English are typically tongue in cheek. The few who take it seriously like to point out British English came first, and we colonists bastardized it on the other side of the ocean afterwards. To that I say, we won the war, so we can change the language as much as we want, you bloody arse wankers.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
      To that I say, we won the war, so we can change the language as much as we want, you bloody arse wankers.
      They're still pissed that we have dentists

But seriously, after working on a British car, and reading Classic & Sports Car for 25 years now...I find myself going going to parts stores and asking for "spanners" or reminding the shop to be careful when closing the car's "bonnet"

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
        he few who take it seriously like to point out British English came first, and we colonists bastardized it on the other side of the ocean afterwards. To that I say, we won the war, so we can change the language as much as we want, you bloody arse wankers.
        I prefer to say they created it, we perfected it.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I'm always amused by the fact that the Brits coined the term "soccer" to differentiate it from other forms of football, and now whine that now soccer is the one true form despite being responsible for creating pretty much all of the standard versions and giving soccer, specifically, a separate name. >_>
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I guess I just listen to too much of the BBC World Service in wee hours of the morning (the local/state public radio network broadcasts the BBC after 11pm until 6am).

I have to say I DID play (American) soccer back in my youth (maybe 45 years ago).

I have learned the difference which is
            In North America especially in the US if you refer to football it is AMERICAN football. Yes I know Canada has American football but it also has "other football" ie, soccer

Everywhere else in the world if you say football you mean soccer. with all of the various country specific/area specific/ level of play specific/governing bodies leagues and teams and national teams and tournyments AND the World CUP, the US is really in the minority of places calling it FOOTBALL and that word means different sports..
            I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
            The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Working...
            X