Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who remembers breaking the rules as a kid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who remembers breaking the rules as a kid?

I remember:
    • Sneaking into an R-rated movie with my sister and her friends.
    • Using the recreation centre's sauna when I was a young child.
    • Drinking wine, although while under parental supervision.
    • Using the recreation centre's hot tub at 15 when you were supposed to be 16 to use it.

I used to take loose change from the dish my grandma kept in the cabinet above the dryer when I lived with her. The dish was for coins that were found in pants pockets or the washer/dryer, but she claimed them as HERS (and never did anything with them). I mostly used it for things like sodas.

Comment

Whenever I used to do a store run for my parents I used to buy myself a chocolate bar without permission. I think my mother knew but my step-father would have lost his shit if he knew, so it was our little secret. Oh, and I used to read my step-father's Penthouse Letters mags when I was younger.

Comment

Sometimes I liked to "Poke the Poodle" (tvtropes term) by doing little things that uptight people would make a big deal out of. Like this one tour guide who had a real stick up his ass about people not making noise as they were going down the stairs (who gives a shit, the place was noisy anyway). He kept badmouthing the group before us for some reason and then made a big deal about not making any noise. I was quiet... up until the way down when I sort of stomped. Not loud enough to make anyone care... expect for the tour guide. As I was leaving he made some comment about me lacking courtesy.

Even people who were with me at the time thought he needed to lighten up.

Comment

My brothers and I got expelled from Sunday School for messing around, cuz we were bored. We were making paper aeroplanes and flipping them at each other. XD Even before that, I used to save the money my parents gave me for the collection plate and spend it on sweets.

As a thirteen year old who had shot up in height and grown boobs, I'd regularly buy cigarettes and smoke them.
          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Hm, my Dad used to take me to bars wit him when I was a kid, so I have been drinking alcohol since I was about 10. By the time I was 18 my silly bar trick was to be able to blind identify the common brands of gin normally found in basic bars back in the late 70s. I also had one hell of a capacity to absorb alcohol and could out drink most guys trying to get me drunk. [For me, born in Oct 1961, drinking was grandfathered in when they shifted the age up to 21.] And though I basically gave up weed at 17 because I needed to keep a security clearance, it really is my inebriate of choice. If it was legal, I would prefer it as I really don't like the calories/ carb exchanges in alcohol because it is the only real sweet tooth I have [I adore mudslides and strawberry daqueries, which as a long time diabetic are off the menu for me other than on really special occasions when I would adjust my menu plan to indulge in one.]

I love to drive fast. I always enjoyed the autobahn when in Germany. I learned to drive in 2 different vehicles, a 73 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham [serious land yacht!] and a Ferrari. I can parallel park *anything* and I can drive quite fast, quite safely when I have a decent vehicle. Oddly enough, I have not had a ticket for speeding or unsafe driving since the early 1980s - and I got that for going about 3 miles over speed in a own notorious for a speed trap policy. It got dismissed because I could prove the location was within the 'grace' distance between the first and second speed limit sign [at the time, they normally did not post speed limit ahead signs so you were allowed the distance between the first 2 speed limit signs to slow down.] Got to absolutely love those 1/10th of a mile mile marker posts they write on the tickets to ID where the ticket was issued

And not sure if this counts or not, but Rob and I have had an open relationship for the entire almost 30 years we have been together and since 2001 we have had a 'junior husband' that we do not get to see as often as we would like as he lives in Europe so it is a major vacation and money investment for whichever person/people do the traveling.

Comment

generally, my rulebreaking has always been minor- to the extent I can't actually remember much of it.(ignoring my parents when they tried to insist on me not visiting websites thye hadn't pre-approved (and at the time, they'd have only allowed me to visit kiddie sites, so...(by kiddie sites, I mean those designed for little kids. I was 13 at the time.)), plus various other minor things.)

Comment

I used to sneak out of the house at night and go to the street dances in the trailer park nearby. My 2nd story bedroom had a small outdoor terrace, which was directly overtop of a concrete planter. I could get over the railing of the terrace, slide down the posts and drop the last few feet to get down. I could stand on the planter, jump up the grab the rails, wiggle my hands up inch by inch until I could get my foot on the edge of the terrace and get over the railing to get back in. My father would have been horrified to know that I went to adults alcohol fueled dances at 10-12 years old. My mother would have been horrified to see me making that climb.

I also skipped much of high school. If you didn't attend class they would call home and leave a message for your parents. But if you were late, you would go to the office and get a late slip, so even though the class sheet said absent, the office would say late but present, they wouldn't call and tell your parents, and the teacher would never check if there was late at the office. So if you went and got a late slip, you could head out and other than showing 60 lates on your report card, no one really found out or cared. (Also I passed all my tests and exams, so I wasn't a huge priority for the school to reign in)

Comment

The fire escapes in my condo complex are not the metal stairs that are usually depicted on TV. Rather it was either a hallway (for every floor except the top) or a walkway connecting the outdoor patios of the top floor. In the summer, we would walk one length of the walkway and back just to enjoy the summer sun.

Well, when I was 12, I gave my mom a big scare. I walked along the fire escape from the walkway into one of the emergency stairwells that nobody uses (we use an elevator to go up and down) and came back to the front door of my apartment unit. She was furious. What if I was raped or otherwise attacked in that stairwell? But I did get out OK.

Comment

Originally posted by AccountingDrone View Post
                    Hm, my Dad used to take me to bars wit him when I was a kid, so I have been drinking alcohol since I was about 10.
                    My dad use to take me to a hang out at a literal bootleggers place and have me call the guy uncle.

Yes, my parents are divorced now.

-.-

Comment

I used to sneak into my mom's room when she was at work and not only listen to her stereo (which I later inherited) but also took advantage of the well stocked bar (once in a while, that is. Usually the Canada Dry ginger ale would mysteriously disappear. Couldn't tell you how that happened.)

Oh and did I mention the trunk full of adult mags?

I was an adult long before I actually became one.

And IIRC that was pretty much the extent of anything that kids my age weren't supposed to do.
                      If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

You had to sneak ginger ale?
                        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                          You had to sneak ginger ale?
                          Mom checked behind the bar when she'd come in to see what was needed (she kept it fully stocked of not only ginger ale and her Dr. Peppers but also every alcoholic concoction that was available at the local ABC store in crystal decanters w/engraved labels.

We're talking Brandy, Whiskey, Cordial, Gin, Rummy, Vodka, Tequila, you name it, she probably had some. She kept it well stocked for guests (my Mom has never cared much for alcohol but she liked to entertain.)

She also had a mini fridge and a telephone behind the bar as well.

So yeah, she'd know if anything was running low . . . I didn't really try much in the way of alcohol until I was around 13 and even then it was a strawberry dacquiri on New Year's Eve or an occasional wine cooler (that was during the high school years.) And it was understood that Dad and stepmom were not to know, otherwise they could have tried to make a big stink (my stepmom back in those days was always looking for ways to make my Mom look bad and cause trouble for us so it was just better all the way around to not talk about what went on in my house. To this day I still don't share a lot w/either of them due to still not feeling comfortable and dreading some doom b/c I dared to tell what actually goes on.)
                          If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

Here's one I used to break (and still do from time to time). No outside drinks. Especially if I'm going to a ball game on a hot day. There's no way I'm paying 4-5 dollars for a bottle of water when the gas station a half a mile away from my house sells them for a dollar.

Comment

Working...
                            X