Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the difference between a "douchebag" and a "tool"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference between a "douchebag" and a "tool"?

My wife and I were having this discussion yesterday.

We never really came to a good decision.

But what's the difference between a "douchebag" and a "tool"?

For instance, if you see someone, you can say (mostly based on appearance), "that guy's a douche", or "that guy's a tool".

Sometimes it's behavior. Sometimes it's how they dress.

So in your opinion, what's the difference? Or are they two sides of the same coin?

I was gonna post this on CS, but I figured here would be better.

I was always told that a douchebag was somewhere between a "jerk" and an "asshole." A "tool" on the other hand, at least according to urbandictionary.com, is "someone who lacks the mental capacity to know he's being used."

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
      I was always told that a douchebag was somewhere between a "jerk" and an "asshole." A "tool" on the other hand, at least according to urbandictionary.com, is "someone who lacks the mental capacity to know he's being used."
      Much more frequently, "tool" is just a synonym for "dick".

I've always thought both referred to people who made the day generally less pleasant, but a "douche" was just more aggressive about it.
      "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
      TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

To me, a tool is basically an idiot who occasionally says or does something dumb and it's not always intentional.

A douchebag is someone who purposely acts like a jackass or purposely does stupid crap.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I've always thought of them interchangeably, with the idea that tool is used with polite company or children, whereas a douchebag is used more casually with friends.

Comment

Tool definitely has multiple meanings, including the "too stupid to know he's being used" as well as being a synonym for "dick."

I've always viewed "douchebags" to be less "dicks" than "tools," and more in the realm of obnoxious and possibly clueless.

The douchebag doesn't realize that he's a douchebag.

The tool has full knowledge that he's a tool and is typically proud of that fact.
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
              The douchebag doesn't realize that he's a douchebag.

The tool has full knowledge that he's a tool and is typically proud of that fact.
              It's always been the opposite around where I live.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Round here a tool is someone who is an idiot, but arrogant / self important about it.

While a douchebag is someone who is obnoxious/sleazy/sexist, but arrogant / self important about it.

Its sort of the difference between someone being annoying to deal with and someone who is actively destroying other people's enjoyment of life. The tool is an idiot thats annoying when he won't shut up about something he knows nothing about. The douchebag hits on you at a bar for an hour despite your blunt disinterest then tries to sell you a used car with the odometer rolled back over craigslist.

Comment

Working...
                X