My Wife's Friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Wife's Friends

So we decided to do a little bit of barbecuing tonight for July 4th and invited a couple of my wife's friends over. They turned us down as there's a DUI checkpoint on the bridge connecting our island to the mainland (Because one person not getting drunk is SUCH a big deal). Later they sent us a text saying we are welcome to join them. My wife naturally wants to go and says she'll drive so I can drink but really, I just don't want to hang out with her friends. They are so immature to me. Not childish immature but they just aren't adults. Half of them haven't had to work a full time job to support themselves and even the other half, well, they are full time students and they still have that college attitude towards everything. I just feel like I'm dealing with a bunch of undergrads (even though they are all in law school) and all they want to do is get drunk, get high, and be obnoxious. And some of them are older than me. I don't have a problem with having fun but being obnoxious isn't fun to me. I mentioned it once to my wife and she doesn't get it. Especially me working with the government, I try to distance myself from illegal activities because it puts me in a weird spot. It's just the attitude I don't enjoy anymore.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

I just can't have fun around people whose idea of fun requires being drunk and high.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I never understood the "must be high and/or drunk or the party/even sucks" mentality.

Several years ago, my then-girlfriend and I went downtown for New Year's. Even though we chose not to drink (too many checkpoints, and I live 12 miles outside of the city center), we still had a good time. Plenty of things to do--fireworks display, the kiss at midnight, dinner, etc. When we got back, many of her friends couldn't understand why we didn't choose to get plastered.

I can't see the point of getting so fucked up that you either hurt yourself, hurt someone else...never mind not being able to remember what happened.

Comment

Anyone who worries about police checkpoints is NOT someone I want to spend time with. They're not going to be concerned with you driving your drunk friend/spouse/whatever home. I personally don't drink, and I don't care if others do as long as I know they won't do something stupid while drunk. I'm not afraid of telling someone EXACTLY how I feel if I know they're planning to do something stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
          I never understood the "must be high and/or drunk or the party/even sucks" mentality.
          My ex's family was like that, I've since chalked it up to "boring people without a personality have to drink to be interesting" and by "interesting" I mean juvenile*.

in meme form

*ex's family never actually *did* anything, they talked about tv shows and video games as though they were family trips to disneyland. I was the strange one for going on epic bike journeys, visiting the grand canyon, going to museums, zoos etc.
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by Aragarthiel View Post
            Anyone who worries about police checkpoints is NOT someone I want to spend time with.
            As a group, they can't just alternate going out and one person not drinking so much that they can't drive? It's absurd. Then we DID eventually go over their apartment. And none of them were drunk and none of them had more than one beer. So basically the entire reason they didn't come over to our place was laziness.

I just can't stand it. It's the epitome of childishness and my wife just refuses to admit it that her friends are as mature as teenagers.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
              I just can't stand it. It's the epitome of childishness and my wife just refuses to admit it that her friends are as mature as teenagers.
              *cognitive dissonance intensifies*

of course not, her friends are a reflection of her, so her friends can't possibly be anything but perfect. I went through a decade of this, it doesn't end well.
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I could see not wanting to go through where you know a checkpoint will be, not because you're drunk, but because it's a time-consuming nuisance.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  I could see not wanting to go through where you know a checkpoint will be, not because you're drunk, but because it's a time-consuming nuisance.
                  This. Even if I'm 100% stone-cold sober, I will avoid them.
                  --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

I don't know how it's done in the US, but here unless you're over the limit (0.05% btw) you're in and out of the RBT in less than 2 minutes, not exactly time consuming.
                    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                    Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

I'm concerned that they're in law school and might be lawyers one day and their idea of fun is getting drunk/high and being obnoxious, if I needed a lawyer and knew that I wouldn't want them. Hell I highly doubt that anyone would want to hire them if they knew that.
                      "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                        I don't know how it's done in the US, but here unless you're over the limit (0.05% btw) you're in and out of the RBT in less than 2 minutes, not exactly time consuming.
                        It depends on how many other people are driving through that checkpoint and if any of them are drunk.

If it's just you, sure, it's quick. When it's 40 people all stopping for a minute or two, it can back things up for miles.
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                        X