no more google plus required for youtube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no more google plus required for youtube

I meant to post this a few days ago, but youtube finally smartened up and no longer requires google plus for youtube activity. They realized it was a bad idea.

Maybe reddit and facebook will get their shit together too.

So it's Youtube Minus Google Plus?
    "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Most likely, what they realized is that people aren't going to USE Google+ as itself even if they have to have an account in order to use other services.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Now they should start working on getting rid of those annoying ads they make you watch before letting you see your video.
        "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Valentine View Post
          Now they should start working on getting rid of those annoying ads they make you watch before letting you see your video.
          Not going to happen, seeing it's their primary source of revenue (and a source of income for some of the more popular channels who produce YT videos). If there's anything I'd wish for it would be to only see the 30-second ads for videos of considerable length (>5 minutes) rather than having to sit through a 30-second ad just to watch a 10-second video of a cat falling off a table.

I know YouTube was talking about making an ad-free subscription service, but I'm not sure what the status is of that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
            I know YouTube was talking about making an ad-free subscription service, but I'm not sure what the status is of that.
            They should at least have an option to turn off the ads then, who would care if the ads are on the website if you could just turn them off? They would be on the site but you could turn them off, kind of like a store that has Christmas trees in the back storage area in summer. You know they're back there but thank god you won't see them, so it's a win-win. They have them there but they're not shoved in your face.
            "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Valentine View Post
              They should at least have an option to turn off the ads then, who would care if the ads are on the website if you could just turn them off? They would be on the site but you could turn them off, kind of like a store that has Christmas trees in the back storage area in summer. You know they're back there but thank god you won't see them, so it's a win-win. They have them there but they're not shoved in your face.
              You do realize the ads are there in lieu of paying them, right? The ads are not some "feature" that some people might turn on or off, as if there are people who actually wish to have ads interrupting their videos. If they allowed anyone to turn off the ads, YouTube's revenue stream would be pretty much dead. It costs money to host videos to millions of people simultaneously, and the ads pay for those costs.

Comment

Not going to happen, seeing it's their primary source of revenue (and a source of income for some of the more popular channels who produce YT videos). If there's anything I'd wish for it would be to only see the 30-second ads for videos of considerable length (>5 minutes) rather than having to sit through a 30-second ad just to watch a 10-second video of a cat falling off a table.

I just wish they'd get rid of auto play video ads and animated banner ads that play while you're watching a video.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                  I just wish they'd get rid of auto play video ads and animated banner ads that play while you're watching a video.
                  I've had animated banner ads, but have never seen video ads outside the main video playing before. I've seen it on other sites, and it's incredibly annoying, but never on YouTube itself.

Comment

If there's anything I'd wish for it would be to only see the 30-second ads for videos of considerable length (>5 minutes) rather than having to sit through a 30-second ad just to watch a 10-second video of a cat falling off a table.
                    So much this. I'd be more tolerant of the ads if the shorter vids didn't have them. I so loathe having to sit through a 30 second (or longer) ad for a 20 second video. >.<

Comment

I've had animated banner ads, but have never seen video ads outside the main video playing before. I've seen it on other sites, and it's incredibly annoying, but never on YouTube itself.
                      I got confused with the other sites (though I do recall a brief time when youtube had them too).

Either way, autoplay video ads are the bane of many sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                        I got confused with the other sites (though I do recall a brief time when youtube had them too).

Either way, autoplay video ads are the bane of many sites.
                        Autoplay video is a pox on the Internet.

Autoplay video ads is the Internet's version of a venereal disease. >_<
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The worst are the ones that play after 3 hours of leaving the tab on the page idle. I'm the type who leaves tabs open, and often get startled when I suddenly hear this commercial. The one thing I'm greatly appreciative of is Chrome's little "speaker" icon on the tab that is playing sound. Now, whoever came up with that should get a nobel prize.

Comment

I don't mind watch a 30 second ad to support people like, say, Markiplier. What I don't like is:

1. The same goddamn ad appearing over and over in a single night
                            2. 5 minute+ videos. NO ONE is going to watch that kind of an ad unless it's on tv or something!

Comment

Now, whoever came up with that should get a nobel prize.
                              This. This all the way. I remember when an autoplay ad would come up and I'd have five tabs open, so I had to scroll through each tab as quickly as I could to locate the offending ad. Now, I just look to the top.

Comment

Working...
                              X