Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've never heard this conspiracy theory before...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've never heard this conspiracy theory before...

Many of you may, or may not, remember the Space Shuttle Challenger accident in January of 1986. I was 9 years old, and saw it unfold live on TV. It's been an "interest" of sorts of mine for years.

But this takes the cake. Apparently, there's someone out there who claims that there were no astronauts on the STS 51-L mission (Challenger), and that the astronauts are "alive and well"...

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative...l-3139958.html

well, to be fair, this IS one of the more sane conspiracy theories I have heard. ( in that there's actually an obvious reason why people would go along with the conspiracy- there had been warnings about the O-rings not being able to stand up to the cold of a launch at 18 degrees, and it's conceivable that the conspiracy was designed to shock the higher-ups into being more careful about safety- the reason for the conspiracy being to avoid the astronauts actually dying) but I don't think it's possible. Why? simple- I don't think computer technology was advanced enough in 1986 to pilot the Shuttle by itself. ( yes, the very first Mercury missions were pretty much all computer-guided, but they were functionally just "go up there and come straight back down" missions- and you WOULD need the shuttle to be computer-guided, if for no other reason than in case it doesn't blow up, so you can retrieve the orbiter.)

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
      well, to be fair, this IS one of the more sane conspiracy theories I have heard. ( in that there's actually an obvious reason why people would go along with the conspiracy- there had been warnings about the O-rings not being able to stand up to the cold of a launch at 18 degrees, and it's conceivable that the conspiracy was designed to shock the higher-ups into being more careful about safety- the reason for the conspiracy being to avoid the astronauts actually dying) but I don't think it's possible. Why? simple- I don't think computer technology was advanced enough in 1986 to pilot the Shuttle by itself. ( yes, the very first Mercury missions were pretty much all computer-guided, but they were functionally just "go up there and come straight back down" missions- and you WOULD need the shuttle to be computer-guided, if for no other reason than in case it doesn't blow up, so you can retrieve the orbiter.)
      Not only that, but suppose 51-L did make it to space...then what? They'd have to destroy it either in space or on re-entry...because if the shuttle landed and there was nobody on it...well, there would be other types of 'splainin' to do...

Comment

I've always been fascinated by conspiracy theories. Not just about how the supporters go to great lengths to "prove" them, but also their reasoning behind their motives, etc. You just go further down the rabbit hole until you realize that, as insane as the theory is on the surface, the conjectures that they use to retort evidence against the theory is almost always even more insane.

For instance, those fringe 9/11 truthers who believe there weren't any airplanes at all but just cleverly disguised missiles will just keep adding on people who had to be in on the conspiracy in order for it to be watertight... so, news reporters, the airline industry, aircraft manufacturers, government officials, certain key eyewitnesses, Seth MacFarlane (out of sheer luck he missed one of the hijacked flights), and a handful of other people and bystanders... and as you continue dismantling their theory, some of them will start to get into alien/shapeshifter/lizard people territory, at which point you've reached the singularity.

And, of course, at some point they'll use logic that basically consists of "well, under these very coincidental and unlikely scenarios, it's possible to be true, therefore it is."

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
          some of them will start to get into alien/shapeshifter/lizard people territory, at which point you've reached the singularity.
          Um, what?? I haven't heard that one. It sounds almost as strange as "The Titanic was intentionally sank for insurance money." (yes, that's a real conspiracy theory).

Comment

So there was something to Unfastened Coins after all!

(I wonder if I should shoot Maddox an e-mail about updating that ancient YouTube embed code?)
            "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
              Um, what?? I haven't heard that one. It sounds almost as strange as "The Titanic was intentionally sank for insurance money." (yes, that's a real conspiracy theory).
              Oh no. Trust me, it's stranger than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptilians

Basically anyone who has political power is a reptilian. I've seen people show a picture of Hilary Clinton, stating that they can see the reptilian in her eyes, a fact that's only apparent in their delusional minds. They use the usual "coincidence? I think not" approach, saying things like the Simpsons Halloween episode where Bob Dole and Bill Clinton are abducted and replaced with disguised counterparts were "too similar to their ideas to ignore." Same goes for the Weekly World News reports claiming women having half-reptilian children after having an encounter with these beings.

It's another example of Poe's Law, where if you read some of the forums, you have to wonder what percentage of them are dead serious, and which are just humoring them for cheap entertainment.

Comment

I've heard Obama is a clone of George Bush, with his DNA mixed with an Egyptian Pharoah.
                "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                  I've heard Obama is a clone of George Bush, with his DNA mixed with an Egyptian Pharoah.
                  I seriously hope you're kidding...I don't want to have to look that up...

Comment

Assuming that conspiracy theory refers to the WW2 naval aviator George Bush (rather than the "avoid Vietnam by getting into the Texas Air National Guard" George Bush), Obama was born in 1961. How would anyone back then know that Bush would become President, and therefore worth cloning?

Besides, the technology involved would have been beyond the capabilities of the Kenyans, and even if it weren't, why would they mix in DNA from an Egyptian pharoah rather than some from one of their own tribal leaders?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                      Assuming that conspiracy theory refers to the WW2 naval aviator George Bush (rather than the "avoid Vietnam by getting into the Texas Air National Guard" George Bush), Obama was born in 1961. How would anyone back then know that Bush would become President, and therefore worth cloning?
                      Nope, George W. Bush. Or, more accurately, they're clones of the same person, perhaps, with the Pharoah's DNA added.

Besides, the technology involved would have been beyond the capabilities of the Kenyans, and even if it weren't, why would they mix in DNA from an Egyptian pharoah rather than some from one of their own tribal leaders?
                      Oh, silly. It wasn't the Kenyans. It was the secret government organization that predetermines the President and rigs the fictional 'elections' so that nothing can ever change. They're probably demons from space. And hell. Space Hell.

Comment

That makes it even more ridiculous - Dubaya was a CHILD when Obama was born, so it would be even harder to predict that he would eventually become President. I see you didn't catch the reason why the Kenyans would be involved - you need to watch more Faux news.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
                          Oh no. Trust me, it's stranger than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptilians
                          I think I have a book about that one! I keep forgetting to read it. It was lent to me because my sister wanted to hear my ranting to the craziness after I read it. Pretty sure I saw some diagrams and pictures in it when I quickly flipped through so I'm somewhat looking forward to it. I feel all crazy laughable conspiracy theories should contain diagrams

After the flat earth conspiracy theory, I stopped being surprised by most of the ones I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                            That makes it even more ridiculous - Dubaya was a CHILD when Obama was born, so it would be even harder to predict that he would eventually become President. I see you didn't catch the reason why the Kenyans would be involved - you need to watch more Faux news.
                            Fox News is also a tool of the alien demons. They knew Dubya would be President because they made him be president, obviously. If anything happened to him, they had clones ready to be deployed at any minute.

Comment

It sounds almost as strange as "The Titanic was intentionally sank for insurance money." (yes, that's a real conspiracy theory).
                              It is? I thought that was just a Doctor Who episode.
                              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                              X