Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way for a "regular Joe" to write a politician...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way for a "regular Joe" to write a politician...

And have the politician actually read and respond to the letter?

What if someone wanted to write Congress as a whole?

Every member of Congress has contact information listed on the House and Senate websites.

https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials

As for getting them to read it, well, you can't make the average Joe read any more than you can a member of Congress.
    I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
      Every member of Congress has contact information listed on the House and Senate websites.

https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials
      That's true, but 47 cents times 535 members...$251.45.

Also, I've heard that a lot of times that Congresscritters who receive letters from outside of their districts won't respond to them at all.

As for getting them to read it, well, you can't make the average Joe read any more than you can a member of Congress.
      True. Which means we all have very little voice, outside of the ballot box.

Comment

If I understand gerrymandering correctly, not even at the ballot box.
        "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
        "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post

That's true, but 47 cents times 535 members...$251.45.
          Email? It is a thing. And they're just as likely to read it as a physical letter.
          I has a blog!

Comment

However, what likely happens with written letters or email is that some intern is tasked with wading through all the incoming mail. Most of it will go in the circular filing cabinet. If its particularly well written, it may go to a staffer to be evaluated.

The cynical side of me says though that the only way the congresscritter ever reads it themself is if the letter writer is offering them something they want.

Comment

Email? It is a thing. And they're just as likely to read it as a physical letter.
              Yes, but I have my doubts about a Congresscritter actually reading an email.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanzoku View Post
                The cynical side of me says though that the only way the congresscritter ever reads it themself is if the letter writer is offering them something they want.
                This is a distinct possibility. However, as a matter of general principle, I've yet to find a politician I'd want to donate money to. And I'm not rich.

Maybe a "letter to the editor" would work, but even those have to be selected by the editor of the newspaper, and are generally limited in length.

Because I did read somewhere that some staffers have the jobs of scouring "letters to the editor" to see if their Congresscritter's name comes up.

Sometimes Congress reminds me of Obi-Wan's quote to Luke in Star Wars regarding Mos Eisley Spaceport:

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

Yes, but I have my doubts about a Congresscritter actually reading an email.
                  And you think they'd actually read a letter? Sorry to say this, but that's what they have assistants and interns for. They're only really going to read the letters that are identified as interesting. They wouldn't have near enough time in the day to read all the letters and emails they get.

I've actually heard that calling is best if you want to be heard.
                  I has a blog!

Comment

And you think they'd actually read a letter? Sorry to say this, but that's what they have assistants and interns for. They're only really going to read the letters that are identified as interesting. They wouldn't have near enough time in the day to read all the letters and emails they get.

I've actually heard that calling is best if you want to be heard.
                    Granted, writing (either email or actual letter) is probably ineffective if I actually want the Congresscritter to read it. I don't even know how many letters/emails they get per day. I'd guess length would have something to do with it, and even if the letter were interesting, if it may contain something critical of the Congresscritter, it may not be read by them.

Comment

Enclose a cheque. -.-

Comment

Granted, writing (either email or actual letter) is probably ineffective

Honestly from what I have seen over the years it all comes down to if what you wrote lines up with what they want. If it's not what they want you will never have evidence one way or the other on whether they read it.

I know local politicians tend to 1 blew me off the other gave me a thinly veiled "fuck you my family is so why you should vote for me" that one I complained that his campaign only talked about his family and not his qualifications for the office. The third wanted to actually sit down with me.

So it really can depend. If you send something that backs up something they are trying to push you might even end up being the "see my constituents want this"
                        Jack Faire
                        Friend
                        Father
                        Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                          Enclose a cheque. -.-
                          Yeah, I don't think that'd work.

I don't donate to politicians on general principle. Haven't found one yet worthy of a donation.

Aside from that, I couldn't write a check with enough zeroes on the end of it, I don't think.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                            Honestly from what I have seen over the years it all comes down to if what you wrote lines up with what they want.
                            I'm pretty sure it wouldn't line up with what they want. It wouldn't be threatening or anything like that, but I'm rather sure it wouldn't line up with what they want as a Congresscritter.

Comment

Assume they have a staff because they probably do (along with interns.)

So if you want something to be read, imagine that #1 it's going to need to clear the bar of being something they don't see every day to which there's a stock answer for, #2 - the topic is interesting enough to actually merit thinking by the congressman, and #3 - the letter is well written enough that someone who probably got a law degree actually wants to read it.

The staff is going to get anything that doesn't pass all 3 of those hurdles because a Congressman probably has to take meetings all day, has a large amount of incoming correspondence, and only has so much time in a day.

There probably are Congressman that take pride in or will read individual correspondance "just 'cuz", but assume that there are plenty of people making the same points (there are) and that Congressman have to build their organizations around that.

Comment

Working...
                              X