Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump's comparison of sexual misconduct allegations as compared to Bill Clinton's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should be pointed out that he was not just entering dressing rooms of Miss USA pageants but Miss Teen USA pageants as well, with contestants as young as 15 years old. And they aren't just allegations, he's admitted it himself.

Comment

I don't know, maybe it's an American thing?
      The entirety of European history would tell you no it isn't. I think one characteristic that differentiates Americans from Europeans though is that Americans have never lived in the negative aftermath of mass-death brought on by tolerating someone that "others" everyone for over a century. The closet that might affect a Trump voter is the civil war.

It is however the first time an an American demagogue seems to have gotten this close to the White House because of the political structure of the US is condusive to that at this point in time. We're watching lots of Republicans make Faustian bargains over here because they think Hillary is Satan in a pant suit.

The best way to look at it is media exhaustion. Trump has done the same thing for so long, that although its really the entirety of serious historical presidential candidates and him compared to what was allowed behavior. Thing is, Republicans have been fighting the Clinton's since 92. This was their great war and many are not wiling to lose it, even if their champion makes them ill.

But by all rational rules of electoral politics Trump should have (and may have already) lost. It's just we have to power through to the election itself.

Comment

Originally posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
        The entirety of European history would tell you no it isn't. I think one characteristic that differentiates Americans from Europeans though is that Americans have never lived in the negative aftermath of mass-death brought on by tolerating someone that "others" everyone for over a century. The closet that might affect a Trump voter is the civil war.
        I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say with this; could you elaborate, please?

On a sidenote, there's an article on Cracked giving a few interesting reasons for Trump's success.
        "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
        "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

while the US saw the Holocaust in the news, it's different reading of that kind of thing in the news and living comparatively close especially since it was closer than anyone generally considers to Hitler conquering the UK long enough to extend the Holocaust here. ( I doubt he would have held the UK for more than a couple of years, but it would be long enough.)

In short, since the US hasn't experienced the prospect of living under a true extremist, they are more likely to vote in extremists.

Comment

So let's see...Anyone critical of President Obama for praising and hosting rappers at the white house? Rappers whose lyrics often talk about misogyny, date rape, and such? But wait...I can see the responses now: "That's different!"

But consider things like this:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...date_rape.html

Rick Ross's, "U.O.N.E.O.":

"Put molly all in her champagne/
            She ain't even know it /
            I took her home and I enjoyed that/
            She ain't even know it."

So how is that NOT date rape?

Or perhaps this:

Jay-Z: "I've got 99 problems and a b***h ain't one."

Or maybe this:

Nicki Minaj, "Hey Mama":

"Make sure mama crawls on her knees
            keep him pleased
            rub him down be a lady and a freak"

and later in the song:

"Yes I do the cooking/
            Yes I do the cleaning/
            Yes I keep the nana real sweet for your eating/
            Yes you be the (boss) yes I be respecting."

So yeah...lemme hear all about how this is "different"...and go ahead and defend it.

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post

Rick Ross's, "U.O.N.E.O.":

"Put molly all in her champagne/
              She ain't even know it /
              I took her home and I enjoyed that/
              She ain't even know it."

So how is that NOT date rape?
              The artist in question has apologized multiple times for these lyrics.

Or perhaps this:

Jay-Z: "I've got 99 problems and a b***h ain't one."
              While I don't necessarily like the word choice, the idea here is about dropping a girl who's been making your life more difficult. It's not about putting women down in general.

Or maybe this:

Nicki Minaj, "Hey Mama":

"Make sure mama crawls on her knees
              keep him pleased
              rub him down be a lady and a freak"

and later in the song:

"Yes I do the cooking/
              Yes I do the cleaning/
              Yes I keep the nana real sweet for your eating/
              Yes you be the (boss) yes I be respecting."
              So... we're going to shame a woman for celebrating a sexual dynamic she enjoys?

Also, it's possible to enjoy an artist and not like all of their songs.
              I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                The artist in question has apologized multiple times for these lyrics.
                And? He wrote them. He sang them. Right?

So, would what Trump said then be OK if he apologized for it?

Something tells me the answer would be "no".

Comment

So let's see...Anyone critical of President Obama for praising and hosting rappers at the white house?
                  The years 2008 and 2012 called to remind you that Obama already won his election and re-election campaigns. He's not running again. Your question is moot.

So, would what Trump said then be OK if he apologized for it?
                  Would pigs fly if they had wings?
                  Since it's exceedingly unlikely Trump would ever give anything close to resembling a sincere apology, your question is again, moot.
                  Customer: I need an Apache.
                  Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

So let's see...Anyone critical of President Obama for praising and hosting rappers at the white house? Rappers whose lyrics often talk about misogyny, date rape, and such? But wait...I can see the responses now: "That's different!"......So yeah...lemme hear all about how this is "different"...and go ahead and defend it.
                    Ive watched the movie Snakes on a Plane about 14 times, love that movie, praise it to anybody who asks about, or mentions snakes, or planes, or movies in general (I may have a bit of a psychological problem now that I think about it). I would argue my illogical love of this movie IS different than a person who approves of and engages in terrorism, smuggling animals, murder, conspiracy to commit fraud etc.

I absolutely loved the Wheel of Time Series, each new book that came out I re-read the entire series up to that point before reading the new book. I have read the whole series about 6 times since the last one was published. I would argue that this IS different from someone who approves of, supports or furthers the cause of monarchies, caste systems or empires. Im strictly a parliamentary democracy girl all the way.

It is absolutely different to, on one hand, enjoy a project for its entertainment value, while still decrying messages, morals or even the whole point of that project or, on the other hand, to personally behave in a way that espouses that moral or message.

(On a completely unrelated topic I dont know what I did to my apostrophes but they look like this è now, so pardon the lack in the above.)

Comment

Originally posted by NecCat View Post
                      Ive watched the movie Snakes on a Plane about 14 times, love that movie, praise it to anybody who asks about, or mentions snakes, or planes, or movies in general (I may have a bit of a psychological problem now that I think about it). I would argue my illogical love of this movie IS different than a person who approves of and engages in terrorism, smuggling animals, murder, conspiracy to commit fraud etc.

I absolutely loved the Wheel of Time Series, each new book that came out I re-read the entire series up to that point before reading the new book. I have read the whole series about 6 times since the last one was published. I would argue that this IS different from someone who approves of, supports or furthers the cause of monarchies, caste systems or empires. Im strictly a parliamentary democracy girl all the way.

It is absolutely different to, on one hand, enjoy a project for its entertainment value, while still decrying messages, morals or even the whole point of that project or, on the other hand, to personally behave in a way that espouses that moral or message.

(On a completely unrelated topic I dont know what I did to my apostrophes but they look like this è now, so pardon the lack in the above.)
                      Alright, let's try this a different way...

Samantha Bee recently said there is "no such thing" as Partial Birth Abortion. There is, it's just called "Intact Dilation and Extraction". And if she was lying, should we then trust anything further that she says?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intact...and_extraction

So, was she lying? Does she think her audience is stupid? Does she think the procedure is OK? Apparently Hillary does.

For the TL;DR explanation, the "fetus" is basically birthed (everything but the head). Then a device is used to essentially crush the skull and suck out the brains.

Hillary seems to be ok with people having the procedure, and Samantha Bee seems to think there's "no such thing"...

Comment

in that case, you're not entirely correct ( to cut a long story short, partial-birth abortion is when the foetus is still alive when they start, wheras intact dilation and extraction can also be used ( it's largely the same procedure) in cases of late miscarriage to both make it easier to find out WTF went wrong, and allow for closure for the mother.

Ultimately, however, even if Samantha Bee said that Partial-Birth abortion doesn't; exist, she can be legitimately criticised for that. However, I don't see how that reflects on Hillary Clinton.(even if she is OK with the procedure, It's possible that it's because it is actually one of the safer ways to abort a foetus for the mother. if the foetus needs to be aborted (I'm thinking medical reasons here- I happen to agree that an abortion just because the mother doesn't want to have the kid anymore at that kind of late stage is unacceptable) then it is a good idea to minimise the risk to the mother.)

Comment

Working...
                        X