Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Private Opinion VS Public Opinion. Wait that's Untrustworthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Opinion VS Public Opinion. Wait that's Untrustworthy?

So I read an article that tried to claim that Hillary Clinton saying in a speech to Stockbrokers about having a Public Opinion and a Private is not only a scandal but is a scandal on par with Trump flat out saying he sexually assaults women.

1) It's not even close

2) It's not actually a scandal and here's why.

She was talking to Stockbrokers. Stockbrokers are supposed to represent their clients they are supposed to say hey "here is what I think's a good investment" but if the client says "I have issues with them" the stockbroker is supposed to do what that client wants even if their private opinion is the person's nuts.

Guess who else that applies to Senators and Representatives. They aren't supposed to vote their private opinion they are supposed to vote their public opinion. That Public Opinion is based on what the majority their constituents want.

Their private opinion is how they cast their own personal ballot.

Saying it's a scandal is sheer idioicy. It's not a scandal it's literally doing the job you were hired to do.

We don't hire lawyers to go "Well Jury I am of the opinion that my client is guilty as sin but sure let's declare him innocent"

Having a private opinion and a public one is part of the job of representing others. All Politicians should have that and anyone that says they don't is either a liar or needs to be voted out of office because their private opinion is their public opinion and they don't give two shits about the people who elected them.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Exactly. provided that it's not " tell everyone your public opinion but act on your private opinion"- which is what i think the article calling it a scandal is trying to imply- all it means is that in public- that is, when Clinton has her hat on as a politician ( being " Secretary of State Hillary Clinton" or "Senator Hillary Clinton") she expresses her public opinion while when she's in private ( as "Hillary Clinton") she expresses her private opinion.

Comment

It could very well be untrustworthy. Especially if those opinions are contrary to one another or diametrically opposed.

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
        It could very well be untrustworthy. Especially if those opinions are contrary to one another or diametrically opposed.
        How? No seriously explain how doing your job could be "Untrustworthy" If it's your job to publicly support your client's position then how is it untrustworthy that you do so?

Did you know that if you are representing your company at an event if it is your job to Publicly think they are awesome even if privately you think your boss is a dick and the guy in charge of marketing is making horrible decisions.

Having a private position that's different from your public one isn't "untrustworthy" What if you represent an area chock full of Anti-Vaxxers. You yourself understand why vaccinations are necessary.

Now if you have no "public position" which is the position most of your constituents hold you will violate their trust and vote for mandatory vaccination laws even though it's against what the people who elected you want.

If you have a private stance and a public one then you will publically rep your constituents and then privately on the individual ballot vote against the measure you voted to put on the ballot.

It's their job to hold their private opinions separate from their public ones. It's a sacred trust. To decide your personal opinion is more important than the one your constituents hold is untrustworthy.

To expect politicians to become unthinking unfeeling robots who only think and feel what their constituents thing is stupid.

I privately think some of the people I work with are freaking idiots who cut corners. Publicly I smile wave hello say good morning and go about my day.

Doesn't make me untrustworthy makes me a human aware of how the world works.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Working...
        X