• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the "October Surprise"?

Clinton investigation re-opened...

FBI reviewing new emails in Clinton probe

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/28/politi....html?adkey=bn

Not really, FBI director Coney apparently sent a letter to Congressman Chaffetz (Who spearheded previous investigations into Clinton emails) saying they were doing an investigation into new emails, and seemed to be related to the Clinton investigation. Congressman and Wikileaks tweeted a copy of the letter out, leading people to jump on the announcement of a new Clinton email investigation

http://www.snopes.com/.../fbi-reopen...ton-e-mail.../

However, with some digging and actual reporting, people found out it's not even related to Clinton or even the Russian hacking of DNC emails, but that they instead found emails on a device and were investigating it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cv4AkG_WYAA_dxq.jpg

and that none of the emails found on the device were sent by Clinton

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/statu...67119286542337

I think the real problem is that everyone is jumping on it and to conclusions at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Daskinor View Post
      Not really, FBI director Coney apparently sent a letter to Congressman Chaffetz (Who spearheded previous investigations into Clinton emails) saying they were doing an investigation into new emails, and seemed to be related to the Clinton investigation. Congressman and Wikileaks tweeted a copy of the letter out, leading people to jump on the announcement of a new Clinton email investigation

http://www.snopes.com/.../fbi-reopen...ton-e-mail.../

However, with some digging and actual reporting, people found out it's not even related to Clinton or even the Russian hacking of DNC emails, but that they instead found emails on a device and were investigating it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cv4AkG_WYAA_dxq.jpg

and that none of the emails found on the device were sent by Clinton

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/statu...67119286542337

I think the real problem is that everyone is jumping on it and to conclusions at the same time.
      Your Snopes link doesn't work...

And hey, I used CNN...I figured that was an acceptable source on this forum.

Comment

It is, the fact that all of this is a letter and conflicting "inside sources" I would suggest letting things unfold before coming to any conclusions.

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/intern...&ICID=ref_fark
        Last edited by Daskinor; 10-29-2016, 01:57 AM.

Comment

I'm suspect of anything coming from Wikileaks related to this election, mainly for Trump's 'encouragement' of Russia to somehow interfere with the process.
          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

it's worth noting that while Trump has indeed seen an increase in support since this news broke, it's not actually at Clintn's expense- or rather, it's not actually due to people switching from supporting Clinton to supporting Trump, which he really needs to happen if he's going to win the presidency. Basically, Trump is attracting support from people who either were intending not to vote, or third party supporters. It's fair to say that the battle has now shifted somewhat- from trying to get people to switch their intended vote (Trump->Hillary or vice versa) to "get-out-the-vote"(undecided/can't be bothered to either Trump or Hillary) which is where Trump has a disadvantage. It's notable as well- and frankly, a bad sign- that Trump's support rose when he largely decided to STFU.

Comment

This whole issue is just getting strange.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58...b0990edc316ed1

Kinda curious if Coney is stirring the pot for some reason.

Comment

it's not really odd- they both want clarification because it's not clear how the reopened investigation relates to the previous one- the best case scenario for Clinton is this is the FBI director stirring shit because investigators found duplicate copies of emails already reviewed.(or the emails were actually unrelated) while the best case scenario for Trump- which could in theory be a sufficient scandal to swing the election to Trump- is that the new emails reveal Clinton deliberately tried to mislead investigators to cover up a deliberate attempt to keep the emails from official scrutiny.

Comment

Yea sort of the underlying issue with this is the decision to go public. No competent investigation can be allotted with the time remaining which means:
                  1) If she's guilty and she wins, there's a remedy for that
                  2) If she's innocent and she loses, there's no remedy for that

The non-interference rules sort of exist for this reason. That said, I think to some extent Comey has felt under assault from the right up until this point and he feared political fallout if he kept his mouth shut. I think the guy is trying to do his job, but ultimately the political environment (like a lot of Federal jobs actually) is so poisonous that it is nearly impossible to execute the position impartially.

From here his options are to have his department haul ass through the e-mails and report findings in less than a week which if it comes to either conclusion, half the country whines about a sloppy job. Or he does take his time, in which case realistically speaking the American public has no real way to interpret this information other than what we know which is they're not Clinton e-mails, but they are e-mails of someone connected to Clinton (which if that's our benchmark, be prepared for new Clinton e-mail storys for all 4 or 8 years.)

Comment

There's also the fact that since the information is so vague, it is impossible for Clinton to know what emails he's talking about- meaning that she can't mount any realistic defense against the shitstorm.(for one thing, she can't know what the emails say- meaning she cannot respond to what they might say.)

I hate to point this out as well, but since these emails do not come from Clinton's server, you have to wonder about if they are faked. ( it was a Republican that brought them to the attention of the FBI- there's a low, but non-zero possibility they were faked for political reasons)

Comment

Well, I imagine he is praying that Trump somehow wins this. Because after pulling this sort of thing right before the election, I can imagine that the first act from Hillary's new AG is going to be to can his ass.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                        I hate to point this out as well, but since these emails do not come from Clinton's server, you have to wonder about if they are faked. ( it was a Republican that brought them to the attention of the FBI- there's a low, but non-zero possibility they were faked for political reasons)
                        650,000 of them?

Comment

If they're not hers, it doesn't matter how many there are. Who DOESN'T have a bunch of email sitting around someplace that's not Hillary Clinton's?
                          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Depends on the content, but yes, even 650,000 of them could be faked.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                              Depends on the content, but yes, even 650,000 of them could be faked.
                              Yeah, but they'd have to fake 74 emails per day, every day, 24 hours a day, for a year.

Or if you go on an 8 hour day, they'd have to do 222 per day, roughly 28 emails per hour, or approximately 1 every two minutes. Every day. 8 hours per day. For a year.

The numbers just go up from there. Shortening the time frame to six months, and 8 hours per day, you're talking about 55.5 emails per hour. One per minute.

Even with a staff of people, that could still take a while. And would the effort be worth it?

Even with a staff of 100 people...that's still 6,500 emails each person would have to generate.

Possible? Sure. Probable? That's up for debate.
                              Last edited by mjr; 10-31-2016, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X