Trump's Cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump's Cabinet

Can anyone explain how half of these people could legitimately be decent choices for their positions?

Secretary of the Treasury - Steven Mnuchin - He's rich? That's about it.

Attorney General - Jeff Sessions - Even his own state thought he was too racist to get higher up in his position.

Secretary of Labor - Andrew Puzder - Ran some chain fast food places that have had issues with unfair labor practices and other issues.

National Security Adviser - Michael Flynn - Known for spreading fake news stories. At best he's an idiot. At worst, he purposely spreading fake news. Sounds exactly like the kind of guy who'd tell Trump fake crap to further his agendas.

Secretary of State - Rex Tillerson - This seems like a Putin pick. Just feeding fuel to the fire that Putin helped him get elected and as a result, Trump is picking Putin friendly people for staff. Otherwise, he has no experience valid for this job.

Secretary of Housing and Development - Ben Carson - He might be a good surgeon, but I haven't heard anything smart come from the guy not relating to that subject.

Administrator of the EPA - Scott Pruitt - Wants to destroy the EPA...?

CIA Director - Mike Pompeo - Helped make Clinton look bad related to Benghazi.

I just feel like half the time, it's purely based off who did who a favor and just picking random people.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

I gave up completely on trying to figure all that out. Apparently, he also tapped Rick Perry for Energy Secretary, and he picked Mitt Romney's niece to chair the RNC. And he picked Reince Priebus to be his Chief of Staff...

Don't forget he also picked Linda McMahon (yes, that Linda McMahon) for "Small Business Association" head. Picked Nikki Haley for Ambassador to the United Nations, as well. Additionally, he picked Elaine Chao (Mitch McConnell's wife, IIRC) as Transportation Secretary.

Most of the picks, though, are going to require Senate confirmation, if I understand correctly.

Comment

Bear in mind Trump has literally no political experience- and at boardroom level- which is where his experience of picking people for roles if from- it can be more about who you know, not what you know.

Having said that, a "Putin Pick" is not inherently bad for Secretary of State. I admit I have wondered how much of the animosity between Russia and the US is caused by the fact that in some ways, the cold war never really ended. ( what I mean by that is that Russia has never really not been something of "the enemy")- provided that Trump doesn't allow Russia to dictate US policy, a less confrontational approach might not be a stupid idea. (I don't mean let Russia get away with whatever it wants- but there still seems to be a "pro-US" and "pro-Russia" dichotomy in many countries.that seems stupid if we aren't enemies.)

Comment

Betsy DeVos, Trump's pick to head the Department of Education, is anti-public education and wants to privatize education. Between her and Jeff Sessions, I worry about the future of my son and all of American children.
        Last edited by XCashier; 12-14-2016, 04:23 PM.
        People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
        If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

I suspect that the majority of his picks are him awarding power to people as favors, which has been a claim from supposed insiders several times. Plus, Trump may not actually realize how important these positions are.

There's also the claim that Trump, like Steve Bannon and a number of Trump supporters, would rather see the entire system torn down, and so Trump's cabinet picks are the people most suited to destroying the agencies they're in charge of.
          "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
          TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Well, NBC is reporting that Putin had a personal hand in trying to elect Trump via the DNC hacks, etc. That casts an even darker shadow over his SoS pick who is buddy buddy with Putin.

However, his SoS pick has very little chance of being confirmed. The committee he has to get through is an even split. It would only take one Republican to break rank to sink the nomination and that is looking pretty likely.

Apparently, now he is preparing the office of the first lady for Ivanka instead? Which is patently illegal. Not that he gives a rat's ass.

Comment

Not saying you're wrong, Gravekeeper, but back before the election when polls were showing Hillary winning, didn't President Obama himself say that Russia couldn't hack us, and affect the elections?

I'm trying to find the link right now, but I believe he did...

Not only that, but if there were Russian interference (again, not saying you/CIA/intelligence/news reports are wrong), how would they know where to cause that interference? I suppose you could say they could have targeted the "blue wall", or Florida, but if Trump got the 3rd lowest Electoral College count for a Republican since the early 20th century (apparently he did), they obviously didn't help much -- if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
                but if Trump got the 3rd lowest Electoral College count for a Republican since the early 20th century (apparently he did), they obviously didn't help much -- if at all.
                Helped enough for him to win.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
                  Not saying you're wrong, Gravekeeper, but back before the election when polls were showing Hillary winning, didn't President Obama himself say that Russia couldn't hack us, and affect the elections?

I'm trying to find the link right now, but I believe he did...

Not only that, but if there were Russian interference (again, not saying you/CIA/intelligence/news reports are wrong), how would they know where to cause that interference? I suppose you could say they could have targeted the "blue wall", or Florida, but if Trump got the 3rd lowest Electoral College count for a Republican since the early 20th century (apparently he did), they obviously didn't help much -- if at all.
                  I didn't say anything about hacking the election itself. Nor has the intelligence community.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                    Apparently, now he is preparing the office of the first lady for Ivanka instead? Which is patently illegal. Not that he gives a rat's ass.
                    How is it illegal for someone other than the president's wife to serve as First Lady? Two presidents (Grover Cleveland and James Buchannan) were unmarried when they took office, and JB remained single throughout his term. His niece served as First Lady.

Note that if the election had gone the other way, we definitely would have had someone other than the president's wife serving as First Lady. Although Hillary is married, she doesn't have a wife.

Comment

I think the point is that the President doesn't get to decide to make someone other than their wife the First Lady.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                        I think the point is that the President doesn't get to decide to make someone other than their wife the First Lady.
                        As best I can tell from a couple of quick Google searches, there's no rule/law against it, though.

It's generally tradition that the President has their spouse as First Lady, but I don't think it's legally required.

As wolfie pointed out, A few Presidents throughout history have used people other than their spouses.
                        Last edited by mjr; 12-23-2016, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X