Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF the election results were reversed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want to point out that my stepdad a Trump voter in the time leading up to the election said that "The electoral college is BS and needs to be gotten rid of it should be decided by the popular vote" and even though his side won he still maintains this position.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

How can you possibly believe making the gerrymandering that goes on in the House apply to the presidential elections too would make the system fairer?
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

The electoral college makes gaming the presidential election ridiculously easy because you can redistrict and redraw to break up people's votes and then get the electoral votes to be how you want them.

If it was based only on the popular vote well you can't game that. You have to appeal to the majority of the country you can't shrink this population or that because every single vote matters equally. Instead of campaigning to "swing" states you have to campaign to everyone. You can't say abhorrent things that violate most of the countries moral values and still win the election.

You have to appeal to a farmer in Utah or a businesswoman in NYC.

Their votes matter equally without an Electoral college.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
          You have to appeal to a farmer in Utah or a businesswoman in NYC.

Their votes matter equally without an Electoral college.
          That's only true if the demographics are more or less equal. In your example, if business people in cities greatly outnumber farmers, then all politicians need to do to win the election is only appeal to the business people.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
            The electoral college makes gaming the presidential election ridiculously easy because you can redistrict and redraw to break up people's votes and then get the electoral votes to be how you want them.

If it was based only on the popular vote well you can't game that. You have to appeal to the majority of the country you can't shrink this population or that because every single vote matters equally.
            I gotta agree with Huckster on this.

If you went that route, all you'd see is candidates pandering to the large population areas, and neglecting the rest of the country. You'd see them pandering to NYC, LA, Miami, Austin, and places like that, and nowhere else.

Comment

Working...
            X