The secret to getting through to someone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The secret to getting through to someone

Tell them that a person said (insert crazy, stupid, or just plain wrong thing person said) person you're talking to gets mad that thing was said. Tell them that they should research it more. Watch their face when they realize it's their favorite politician that said it.

People shut down if they feel you're attacking their team so take their team out of it. Have the conversation about what was said when they can get their head wrapped around what they believe and what they want then you can help them find out that it's the person they think is on their side saying those things.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

That doesn't work. Then they just say the media is making it up or that they are taking it out of context.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
      That doesn't work. Then they just say the media is making it up or that they are taking it out of context.
      If you tell them who did it before they processed it yes. But I have yet to have someone internalize "this was a thing" that then turned around and rejected it upon finding out "someone I like said this" especially when there is footage of them saying it.

I also do it in reverse. Every time someone tells me "This person is (insert word that person's opponents uses to describe them)" I make the person give me actual examples.

You can't argue "Trump is a racist" "Hillary is a crook" if you're not actually discussing what makes them these things.

You're right though in that if it's something someone is lukewarm about though they are going to go the other way and set up more walls. The key is to hit them with issues they care about.

Someone being elected to the School Board wants to defund the school their kids go to but they love the persons ideas for school funding? Tell them about the effort to defund their kid's school which will hurt their kids and let them discover it's the person they were championing.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Working...
      X