We haz been snubbed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We haz been snubbed!

Apparently Trump's wall went up when nobody was looking ... at your north border, anyay.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
    ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

I'm not surprised. Crossing borders to cause a disturbance, albeit a legal one, is frowned upon by most countries.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Okay, and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the article also make mention of people who wanted to attend the inauguration? I mean, actually attend it -- not scream and shout and stomp about.

And yeah, they were stupid. Should've said "No, we just LUURRRRV Mr. Trump!" and they would've gotten through no problemo. Seriously, what do you expect when the border guards ask your opinion of the current national leader (for the first time EVER, I'm pretty sure ...)?
      Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
      ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Crossing the border should never entail a question as to whether you like the current president let alone have your entry hinge on the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
          Crossing the border should never entail a question as to whether you like the current president let alone have your entry hinge on the answer.
          No but whether or not you are planning to commit political unrest certainly is reasonable.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

while true, the question asked was apparently "do you support Donald Trump?"- which, at heart, is not acceptable. I am willing to accept what got them turned away was that they were vehemently anti-trump, but a) that's reason to bar them from the inauguration, not the whole country and b) it would be better to ask about if they planned to protest the inauguration.

basically, blocking people because they are travelling to the US to protest? fine. Blocking people because they don't support the president- regardless of how vehemently- not fine. ( in the case of a planned attack on the President, it's not their lack of support for the president that gets them barred)

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
              No but whether or not you are planning to commit political unrest certainly is reasonable.
              If they had black ski masks and bats in the backseat sure. If they were just planning to attend the inauguration or the Women's March thats a bit suspect. Having their car searched and being made to unlock their phones is eyebrow raising though.

Comment

I don't agree with them being turned away for the reasons they gave (Boarder Patrol can't comment) but then I think what right does anyone that is not a US citizen have to enter for any reason what-so-ever??? I'm not being contentious just asking.
                Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

If they had black ski masks and bats in the backseat sure. If they were just planning to attend the inauguration or the Women's March thats a bit suspect. Having their car searched and being made to unlock their phones is eyebrow raising though.
                  It's not though. You give up certain rights to privacy when you are a guest in another person's country. Canada searches my stuff when I come in. America does it to Canadians prior to this election.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                    It's not though. You give up certain rights to privacy when you are a guest in another person's country. Canada searches my stuff when I come in. America does it to Canadians prior to this election.
                    Which is fine. Spot searches or searches due to causes for suspicion are par for the course at the border. But making people unlock their phones so you can root around in their personal info because they failed a political litmus test is worrisome.

Its not the car search I have a problem with. Its the phone search and the reason for said phone and car search. Is rooting around in people's phones standard procedure now? I have never seen nor had that happen when crossing the border.

Comment

Which is fine. Spot searches or searches due to causes for suspicion are par for the course at the border. But making people unlock their phones so you can root around in their personal info because they failed a political litmus test is worrisome.

Its not the car search I have a problem with. Its the phone search and the reason for said phone and car search. Is rooting around in people's phones standard procedure now? I have never seen nor had that happen when crossing the border.
                      Yea, but have you ever failed the initial questioning that ever warrants a secondary search?

I've gone through second searches every time I've gone to Canada. They toss all my stuff, steal money, take my laptop out of it's bag, etc. They just generally trash my stuff. And I was just going to see my girlfriend (now-wife). So if going to visit your girlfriend in Canada means getting my stuff trashed, it's not surprising to me that if you state you are coming to America to protest the government that they are going to be thorough in making sure it's not more than just a protest.

Comment

Working...
                      X