Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congressional Authority -- what are it's bounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they could, but enforcement would be a problem.

Comment

Some insurance companies (Progressive, for one) actually offer a device that "tracks" your driving, and you can get a discount for using it. They're already trying to get people to voluntarily do it.
      Yes and no. I had one of those things from Progressive. It plugs into the car's computer, but it has no GPS. So it knows how fast you're going, but not what road you're on, and therefore would be useless for speeding tickets.

I found it made me a less safe driver. It counted sudden stops as any slowing of more than x mph/s, and the more times that happened, the worse your rating. A borderline yellow light, where you'd have to brake a little bit hard to stop by the line but couldn't be sure you'd make it through if you kept going at the same speed, would set that stupid thing off. And so I caught myself going through just as lights turned red, or braking not quite enough and sticking out in the intersection. Stopped cars ahead of me, instead of braking harder far back and then rolling up to them slowly, I'd put off anything but minimal braking as long as possible hoping the obstacle would move. Not deliberately; the sort of thing you notice yourself doing it when you're already doing it. It worked, in that the doohickey recorded fewer sudden stops, but after a couple close calls I was glad to be rid of it.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
      X