Interesting Socio-Political experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Socio-Political experiment

I found this interesting, but not necessarily surprising.

The "experiment", if you will, was to re-do parts of the Trump/Clinton debates, but have a woman "Trump" and a man "Clinton". Mannerisms and speech patterns were also imitated.

Read more here:

http://knowledge.insead.edu/leadersh...ur-biases-5291

And watch part of the rehearsal video in this link:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...e-won-n2294898

And here's an article from NYU on it:

https://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publi...-reversal.html

TL;DR:

The woman "Trump" still came off as more trustworthy and likeable, according to the audience that watched.

So what do you think?
    Last edited by mjr; 03-09-2017, 05:55 PM.

I find it hard to believe anybody finds Trump, whether male or female, at all trustworthy or reliable. Nor, for that matter, do I understand why people don't find Clinton to be either.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      I find it hard to believe anybody finds Trump, whether male or female, at all trustworthy or reliable. Nor, for that matter, do I understand why people don't find Clinton to be either.
      I think the problem in this case is that "trust" isn't binary. There are gradations of it.

Comment

I bet people who voted for Trump so he'd "drain the swamp" aren't feeling very trusting now that he's doing the exact same BS every other damn politician does.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          I bet people who voted for Trump so he'd "drain the swamp" aren't feeling very trusting now that he's doing the exact same BS every other damn politician does.
          Some, maybe. I get the feeling that a good portion of them didn't even know what "drain the swamp" even means and everything that's happening is whooshing past their heads.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            Why? What about Clinton makes you think of her as trustworthy or reliable?

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
            One of my favorite dialogues in OOTS:

Roy: "You didn't put any ranks in Survival? But I hired you to be the party tracker!"
            Belkar: "Well, don't you feel stupid now?"
            "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
            "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

I like the concept of experiment, but I think the foundation is shaky. Women (really, most minorities), especially those in the public eye, tend to be picked apart a lot more than white men do (in general).

She has to appear "strong" and not "too emotional", etc. etc. She has to be much more careful about how she looks or what she says to avoid being lambasted. BUT, women that do that then are called unemotional, cold or insincere.

If she had run a campaign (rather than one debate) the way Trump had, her reputation wouldn't have come across that well.

(Also, we can't pretend that bigotry didn't play a HUGE part in Trump's success, despite everything else about him being the makings of a career suicide for...literally anyone else. JFC that election was so weird...)

Comment

Working...
              X