Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The United Nations...How Worthless Is It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The United Nations...How Worthless Is It?

Personally, I think it's just about as terrifying as the League of Nations was. Most countries seem to just blow the UN off. China and their human rights issues. Darfur. North Korea. The Israel/Palestine situation. America torturing prisonors of war. Need I continue?
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

The UN in general is fine. It's the Security Council that needs reworking. The premise for that was that to avoid military conflicts that would start another world war. The setup for it was to grant the holders of the primary militaries in the world veto status to override an unjust military action. Those permanent member of the SC are supposed to consider the world impact before they judge on it.

The problem lies in that all they are concerned about is their own borders and alliances, so they will veto anything that might affect them negatively in the smallest. Too much power, too little brain matter is the issue.

Comment

Agreed, LL.

The concept is fantastic, and I envisage a time when that'll be our primary form of government (much like it's portrayed in Star Trek).

But, it's pretty much like laws - how useful are they to those who don't care about or respect them? Sure, there's the threat of punishment - but if that's not going to happen - what's it matter? eg - the USA invaded Iraq, even after all UN resolutions were acceded to. And much against what the rest of the SC wanted... Same can be said for so many other international issues.

What I think needs to happen is for the UN to become more independant, and supported by all other major powers - by 'donating' troops, equipment, etc. ie instead of independant, but still nationalised, troops (eg US troops wearing blue berets, Australian troops wearing blue berets... just have a non-affiliated, international force).

I think, when people start to realise that protecting people is more important than protecting (insert country)'s citizens, it might happen.
      ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

The United Nations is very worthless indeed.
        It can issue all the demarches and resolutions it wants, but in the end it has no way to enforce them.
        So, I would also ask, what good is a law that is not, or cannot, be enforced?

Also, since it is comprised of disparate nations with conflicting or competing agendas, how often does it actually come to a unanimous conclusion? And once that conclusion is reached, what is it actually able to do? Considering it relies upon member nations for everything.

You will probably never have an independent unaffiliated international force.
        1. People have to live somewhere, and will generally assimilate to that culture. The U.N. has no land to call it's own.
        2. a. People must eat, be clothed, live. That costs money. The U.N. does not have a budget with which to do that.
        2. b. And speaking of which, what would you pay them in, what currency? A one-world currency would happen first.

Comment

Originally posted by Vagabond View Post
          The United Nations is very worthless indeed.
          It can issue all the demarches and resolutions it wants, but in the end it has no way to enforce them.
          So, I would also ask, what good is a law that is not, or cannot, be enforced?

Also, since it is comprised of disparate nations with conflicting or competing agendas, how often does it actually come to a unanimous conclusion? And once that conclusion is reached, what is it actually able to do? Considering it relies upon member nations for everything.

You will probably never have an independent unaffiliated international force.
          1. People have to live somewhere, and will generally assimilate to that culture. The U.N. has no land to call it's own.
          2. a. People must eat, be clothed, live. That costs money. The U.N. does not have a budget with which to do that.
          2. b. And speaking of which, what would you pay them in, what currency? A one-world currency would happen first.
          1. There are areas in the Hague that are designated to the UN, I believe. Just as NATO and other alliances have similar 'sovereign' areas. It would simply be a matter of nations voting/ceding land for 'world government' use; much as land was ceded from Maryland and Deleware for the federal district of Washington.
          2. a. The UN Charter calls for each member nation to donate a certain percentage of money to the UN to fund it.
          2. b. The payment is in the monetary unit of the said country, though I forget how they make it equitable.
          Last edited by Hobbs; 02-17-2010, 04:59 AM.

Comment

The only issue with the UN I DO have, is that the permanent security council members need to be overhauled. I'm aware of the hegemonies with the US and possibly China. There is already a system with the non-permanent members, so why not rotate the council every five years or so?

Other than that, I do believe that there are programs and treaties provided through the UN, or are at least encouraged through the UN, examples including human trafficking, aid to countries affected by natural disasters, programs against child labour and encouraging education.

Comment

"Humanity has the greatest potential in itself; to educate, to heal, to provide..."

http://www.theshadowchronicles.com/t...=en&size=large

"...Together you can do this, together you can succeed, together you will survive...There are many voices, but it is all one world...a world where there is a need for peace, now... and in the future..."
              Last edited by Hobbs; 02-17-2010, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                1. There are areas in the Hague that are designated to the UN, I believe. Just as NATO and other alliances have similar 'sovereign' areas. It would simply be a matter of nations voting/ceding land for 'world government' use; much as land was ceded from Maryland and Deleware for the federal district of Washington.
                2. b. The payment is in the monetary unit of the said country, though I forget how they make it equitable.
                Both of which are entirely within the realm of possible. Nationalism is beginning to fade. I know several people (and for full disclosure I am one of them) who have taken the attitude that war has served it's purpose, it's time to move past it and as long as ALL civil liberties are recognized (translation, make it a European based government ) one government can govern just as efficiently as dozens. And for currency... oh, how great it would be to NOT have to worry about currency exchange rates. International business is the new reality (I've got investments in 4 different currencies now, granted small investments, but still)... not having to deal with worrying about how the exchange is going to work would make my and many other people's lives a lot easier.
                "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Working...
                X