Rush Limbaugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush Limbaugh

Was a terrible human being that did untold damage to political discourse in American and I am glad he's dead.

The world is a better place.

I have to agree. My parents always told me not to wish someone dead or rejoice in someone's death, but I think the world is a better place without him. Some people may think I'm being cold and callous, but I'm just showing him the same amount of respect that he gave to those who didn't think the way he did.

I actually stopped going to this one local burger place, despite their food being delicious, partly because I got tired of hearing his pompous loud mouth on the radio every time I went in there. All I could hear was "My friends blah blah blah the liberal media blah blah blah the democrats blah blah blah..."

Fuck him and the horse whose back he broke riding in on.
    --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

As I said the sister site, I listened to him as a high school kid back in the early days in the late 80's/early 90's. Finding the right spot in the school to get the weak AM signal, just to catch a bit of his words of wisdom that I really enjoyed, before the next class, after lunch. I was right of center before him, and came upon it naturally - my parents were apolitical when I was a kid, however it was nice to hear someone on the radio that said the things I believed in, and said it with confidence. It helped me become more willing to fight for what I believe in. I also had a blast as a 17-year-old boy going to see his live Rush to Excellence show when it came to Minneapolis.

Even in college he helped inspire me to be outspoken with my core beliefs, and politics. I was hoping to get into the political world as a college kid, and he inspired me.

Well, I did get into politics, and discovered something that eventually shook me to my core. I discovered what is now known as "The Swamp". I learned how disgusting politics were, and got the hell out, and left the Republican party when they put W. Bush in. I was disgusted with his dad's time in office, and there was no way in hell I could support him, so I left the party, because my core beliefs were not the party of Bush. I moved from a right wing Republican to a right wing independent.

Around that time I stopped listening to Rush, because of his unwavering support of Republicans under Bush, and the 11-2 time period, my AM radio was off. Over time I found a new lunch time radio host to listen to.

Now to the present time, I've been listening to the Rush show this past week, since his passing was announced. Hearing the moving tributes to him brings me back to that young high school kid. Hearing the sadness of the callers moves me to my core. Today, listening to his widow on the show is a sweet tribute to him. He will be missed by millions of people here in the US, and around the world.

He changed talk radio, and NO ONE can deny that. He was influential. I'm proof of that. I am a better man for having him in my life.

I will miss him, even though I really haven't listened to his show much in the last 20 years.

Now, to the hate of him expressed here:

I in a way understand it. I didn't like RGB at all, but, I wished her loved ones well after her passing. However, I have to ask myself how I'd react if someone truly psychopathic died? Would I rejoice in it?

Well, yes. I reacted with joy when the man who murdered my cousin died. I'm sure I'll react with joy when total evil psychos die. The list is long, and is populated my mass murdering maniacs, and those who have literally destroyed people's lives with glee, for their power trips.

Now is that a good thing? I do not know.

And that's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by victory sabre View Post
        I will miss him, even though I really haven't listened to his show much in the last 20 years.
        If you had you wouldn't be missing him. I don't deny he was influential the problem is that influence was overwhelmingly negative. Even 20 years ago he was a complete asshole to the point I worry as to what lessons you learned at an impressionable age.

He's a good chunk of the reason half your country literally lives in an alternate reality.

Comment

he's been a shitty person far longer than 20 years. During the aids crisis he had a radio spot celebrating people dying from aids. Fuck him.
          Last edited by MadMike; 02-23-2021, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Thus the empty life of this wretched charlatan is finally over. And not a moment too soon.

To paraphrase the late Christopher Hitchens:

"If you gave [Limbaugh] an enema, he could be buried in a matchbox!"
            Customer: I need an Apache.
            Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
              If you had you wouldn't be missing him. I don't deny he was influential the problem is that influence was overwhelmingly negative. Even 20 years ago he was a complete asshole to the point I worry as to what lessons you learned at an impressionable age.

He's a good chunk of the reason half your country literally lives in an alternate reality.
              I'm kind and generous to a fault. I'm honest and have a strong moral system. I think for myself. I'm willing to stand up for what I believe in my heart is right. I'm strongly willing to fight oppression, and tyranny. I'm hard working, and strive for success.

To the left, all these things are not virtues, and I'll be this way for the rest of my life, even if it ends in a re-education camp - which it likely will based on the way things are going.

So, whatever. Enjoy your hate of anyone who has a different worldview than yours.

Comment

Enjoy your hate of anyone who has a different worldview than yours.
                Kind of an ironic statement, since that's exactly what Rush did during his career. He was nothing more than a loudmouth blowhard with a blind hatred towards anyone who did not call themselves a Conservative. While I tried to tune him out if I heard him on the radio, I couldn't help but overhear some things that made me see red, like the times someone called in and said something Rush didn't agree with, and Rush would insult, belittle, and try to talk right over the caller. Granted, it's his show and his rules, but that doesn't mean he had to be a dick about it.

I didn't hate him for having conservative views, any more than I hate the people who run the burger place I mentioned in my above post. They're running a successful business, and I'm happy for them. The difference is that as far as I know of, they don't go around mocking and insulting victims of disease, violence, etc. Normally, I would feel sympathy towards someone who had cancer, having lost several friends and family members to it and seeing what it does to them. But after seeing his "hilarious" impression of Michael J. Fox's Parkinson's symptoms, that went right out the window.

I have friends who are all over the political spectrum, and I love them all. But one thing I can't stand is a bully, regardless of political leanings.
                --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

I'm kind and generous to a fault.
                  Says the anti-masker...

I think for myself.
                  ...spewing the typical right-wing lies.

The lack of self-awareness with you guys is absolutely astounding, and proof that we need better education in general. Don't worry though, you won't be "re-educated" because people like you are a lost cause.

Comment

I'm kind and generous to a fault. I'm honest and have a strong moral system. I think for myself. I'm willing to stand up for what I believe in my heart is right. I'm strongly willing to fight oppression, and tyranny. I'm hard working, and strive for success.

To the left, all these things are not virtues, and I'll be this way for the rest of my life, even if it ends in a re-education camp - which it likely will based on the way things are going.

So, whatever. Enjoy your hate of anyone who has a different worldview than yours.
                    You think for yourself by displaying the textbook straw manning and disingenuous victimhood that colours current conservative politics? Instead of opting for self reflection or daring to look at Rush objectively to see what the problem is you've gone straight to 11 with the typical bullshit causing the problems in the first place.

I would say you've absorbed Rush's teachings fairly well and your country is lesser for it.

Comment

Limbaugh was a vile and loathsome specimen during his lifetime, and his being dead doesn't change that one whit.

He was happy to celebrate people dying of AIDS. I'm happy to celebrate his being dead. Of anything.

And thanks, victory sabre, for automatically assuming that no leftists regard any of your self-attributed sterling qualities as virtues. Definitely a Limbaugh follower there.
                      Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
                      ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

I've seen several articles that blame Rush for significant contributions to the toxic political environment that we currently live in. Those articles resonated with me. He was either a total psychopath who believed the hate that he spewed, or he was a cynical opportunist who would say horrible things because it would make him money.

He also leaned hard on the "well the REAL victims here are white conservative protestant men". Anyone who wasn't one of those, or didn't fawningly support those people, was worthy of contempt and was mercilessly mocked. He also didn't care at all about telling the truth.

Ironic that for years he claimed that smoking didn't kill, and yet he was killed by lung cancer from smoking. Maybe he listened to early Ayn Rand, who insisted the same thing, and ignored that she got surgery for lung cancer. (And never talked about smoking after that.)

To use a phrase from Clarence Darrow (often misattributed to Mark Twain), "I would not wish death on anyone, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."

Comment

Originally posted by Nunavut Pants View Post
                          He was either a total psychopath who believed the hate that he spewed, or he was a cynical opportunist who would say horrible things because it would make him money.
                          Those are not mutually exclusive. The fact that ignorance, bigotry, and stupidity are marketable in America speaks volumes.

But I do feel very bad for the cancer, to be infected by Limbaugh.
                          Customer: I need an Apache.
                          Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

Originally posted by Talon View Post
                            Those are not mutually exclusive. The fact that ignorance, bigotry, and stupidity are marketable in America speaks volumes.
                            Grifting is it's own cottage industry within conservative politics. Trump's entire presidency was a grift. Starting culture wars is grossly profitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                              Grifting is it's own cottage industry within conservative politics. Trump's entire presidency was a grift. Starting culture wars is grossly profitable.
                              And that has poisoned America. Not that the USA was perfect before, but spewing Two Minutes Hate (more like Hours of Hate) on the airwaves has really made our society toxic. Instead of working together and treating each other like fellow human beings, there's all this racism, misogyny, anti-Semitism, just plain xenophobia everywhere you look.
                              People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
                              If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Working...
                              X