Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Thompson to run for President!

http://news.aol.com/elections/story/...00010000000001
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Alls I have to say is, "Who the hell is Fred Thompson?" Until now, I've never even heard of this guy.

Personally, I don't think he has a chance against Clinton, Obama, or Guliani.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I never heard of him either. Apparently he has been around in politics since back in watergate (which according to his wikipedia article there is some debate about how involved he was) and has appeared in a few different shows and movies over the years. Including hunt for red october and law and order.

Still though I doubt he'll have a snowballs chance of being president but then again who knows. This race is going to be a wild one.

Comment

Actually, the Republican party is sorta up in arms about this because there has been speculation that Fred Thompson would run for president in '08. Guiliani had the nomination for Presidential candidate almost locked up, unless Thompson chose to run. Now that Thompson's running, it's probably going to be him being the Republican candidate for President.

I don't know about anyone else, but my dream ticket for the Republican party would be Thompson/Guiliani.
        Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Comment

Normally, I like the Democrats better, but I was rooting for Giuliani. If Giuliani has to drop out, I definitely think Obama and Clinton stand a chance now.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I say keep Guliani out of it. He is heavy handed stance on crime which crosses the line on civil liberties. Rahmota....Guliani is bad news on the right to bear arms. He wants more restrictions on gun ownership. I'd like to see Ron Paul head the ticket, but I doubt that will happen. As for Fred Thompson, he and Ron Paul don't agree about the direction of the Iraq war. Fred Thompson might be a safe vice-presidential choice...if not a reasonably good presidential choice. I just don't know the full story yet on just how he plans to carry out the war in Iraq. Conceivably, we will remain for a while no matter which party wins though. Interestingly, Alfonse D'Amato, former senator from New York, endorses Fred Thompson's presidential bid, not Guiliani's. I liked this video where he rejected a meeting with Michael Moore. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdAm6UY4xOE
            Last edited by squall; 09-07-2007, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Giuliani HAD to crack down on crime in his previous position. He had to look over New York! Not some place in the middle of nowhere where crime is unheard of. A lot of places need stricter law enforcement and he will help that problem.

Comment

Giuliani for Pres., Thompson for V.P. That's my dream ticket. Both are pretty tough on crime & homeland security. Not sure how this is going to play out, but I'm seriously thinking of signing up at Fred Thompson's website to spread the word.

I will tell you one thing though - If Hilary Clinton gets the nod to be the Presidential candidate for the Democrat Party, I'll be a card carrying member of the Republican party from now on (this coming from the person who is even now known as "that hippie chick" and who impressed her poli sci teachers because she read the Communist Manifesto on. her. own. and loved it).

Comment

Sorry, Giuliani is an asshole. His idea for healthcare reform? High deductible plans! Yeah, that's been working great.
                  Also, anyone who would inform his wife that he's serving her with a divorce via a television interview most likely won't have the diplomatic skills we need in a president at this time.
                  I wouldn't touch that man with a 10 foot pole. If I were leaning towards a Republican this year, Huckabee or Ron Paul would be an interesting choice.

Comment

I love how the Democratic candidates are talking about cheap health care for everyone in America. So of course American's are loving them. What they don't realize is where the hell is that money going to come from? Simple answer to that one: higher taxes. Let the complaining about that begin!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                      Simple answer to that one: higher taxes. Let the complaining about that begin!
                      Why don't they just repeal that massive tax cut for the rich that is currently bankrupting your country?

Comment

Well, I guess that could work too. But the country is run by rich people. So why would they want to tax themselves more?

That also brings me to my argument of why Obama and Clinton won't win. Who runs America. Rich, white, old men. Obama hasn't been in too long and he's black. So all the racists won't vote for him. And let's admit it, there's a lot of them. Clinton's chances are hurt because the Republicans won't vote for her and a lot of democrats don't like her. Oh, and she's a female.

Comment

Perhaps. However, our entire healthcare system needs MASSIVE reform, and it needs it now.
                          I would love to see a centralized health care system, and here's why:
                          1) Lower overhead overall due to fewer administrative costs leads to cheaper healthcare in the long run
                          2) Easier to understand plans
                          3) Better bargaining power with providers and manufacturers
                          Taxes wouldn't necessarily have to go up, as the money that we provide to our employers goes to a central provider. If anything, salaries might actually go up if employers aren't saddled with their employee's health issues. Not to mention the whole worry about hiring older/sick/people who smoke thing would be thrown out on its ear.

There would be downsides, I'm sure, but it would solve an awful lot of the problems we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                            Well, I guess that could work too. But the country is run by rich people. So why would they want to tax themselves more?
                            So true.

Here's what I don't understand: Bush's tax cuts benefit a very small portion of the population, so obviously that's not where they're getting their votes. There aren't enough rich people to comprise the 50% or so needed to elect a party. Obviously people of less means are also voting Republican.

So they get people to vote against their own economic interests somehow.

I guess all the money they get from their rich campaign donors pay for a lot of bullshit commercials to scare people into thinking that terrorists and illegal aliens are worse issues than not being able to pay rent or get healthcare.

Comment

Pretty much boozy. Fear tactics, smoke and mirrors and misdirection. Keep the masses afraid of what the other guy will do to them and their security and the threats to their home from the enemies out there, while providing free bread and circuses to keep the masses happy.

George Orwell was only off by a few years.

Comment

Working...
                              X