No Internet for Sex Offenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Internet for Sex Offenders

I was dropping off my grandparent's car to get a remote car-starter installed today, and as I was heading home, I heard about this briefly on the radio. New Jersey is now going to ban sex offenders, who used computers to commit their crimes, from using the internet.

I know, I know, it sounds like a good idea to keep their tools they used to previously used to commit their crimes away from them, but that's not the first thing I thought of when I heard about this. I thought, "Wow, way to deny them their rights." They are already on probation and are totally screwed if they do anything again. They went to jail, so by doing this, they are saying that jails are not doing their jobs, which is rehabilitation. So if this is the case, why the hell is my tax money being wasted on these prisons? I don't know, I just think this is a gross over-destroying their rights.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Damn. Makes my comment on CS all the more the right course of action for me, especially since I'm in IT.

I doubt very much that I could do my job without the internet anymore. And all it would take to destroy my life is for some kid to tell a lie about me. Or for some parent to decide to ruin me with a lie.

And people wonder why I don't want kids, and don't want to have anything to do with them?

Comment

How is this even enforceable?

I don't mind kids, but politicians who use the causes of kids to advance their own careers need to be shot.

Woo! This Fat Bastard wine is pretty strong though...mmmmmm.........wine......

Comment

Sex offenses are a political goldmine. No one would ever want to be seen defending someone who actually committed such crimes, so all sorts of horribly punitive punishments can be leveled all while keeping the definition of "sex offender" as wide and vague as possible.

It's WAY too easy for someone with an axe to grind to just completely destroy someone's life with an accusation. Even if there's not a shred of proof, every news outlet will be screaming with the headline of "______ ACCUSED OF HORRIBLE SEX CRIMES" which will forever link that person to the accusation no matter if they're acquitted or not.

I have a family-member-by-marriage who's serving time for molesting his step-daughter and I'm about 75% convinced he didn't do it. The girl in question is not mentally all there and it's very possible she either misinterpreted something or was told to lie by another family member who's extremely vindictive.

What can you do though? The people who actually do these crimes should be fired by cannon into the sun, but how can we determine someone's guilt without destroying innocent lives?

Comment

Sex offenses are a political goldmine. No one would ever want to be seen defending someone who actually committed such crimes, so all sorts of horribly punitive punishments can be leveled all while keeping the definition of "sex offender" as wide and vague as possible.
          You have hit the nail on the head. This is one of those things the current political agendas dont want to define narrowly as its too useful a tool.

Those who pass these sort of laws wind up Looking tough on crime, looking good for the moral zealots, and looking good for those with children. Its a win win scenario for the politicians at least. And yeah whos gonna stand up for a sexual deviant? Do that and the public turns on you too no matter how "right" you may be from a legal standpoint the fear of letting a "sexual predator" out on the streets to be around our children is too horrible to bear, dont you care baout the children THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! (Or at least thats how the usual rhetoric goes I've seen)

Now I'll agree that those who do actually harm children need to have something done to them unpleasant at the very least (to be polite) but like has been mentioned the tar and feather brush can be very wide and very shallow. The slightest excuse can be used to bring the powers that be down on a person with just an anonymous phone call away.

Just one more thign that this country needs to get its head out of its arse about.

Comment

This is very sad, indeed.

We give up more freedoms seeking protection than we do just watching out for ourselves...I think the whole root of the problem is a lack of personal responsibility.

"Big brother" shouldn't be stomping down doors every time someone cries wolf. And there should be penalties involved for people who place false accusations. It might make people think twice before picking up that phone to make a report. I don't think anyone ever thinks about the severity of the consequences of their actions.
            "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
            "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Those who would sacrifice freedom for temporary security deserve neither. - Ben Franklin
              Those founding fathers had some rather wonderful ideas didn't they? Wonder what ever happend to them?

Comment

I know someone who was accused by his niece. She later recanted the accusation, but the family's never recovered from it. It used to be a very close family, but now it's torn apart.

Comment

Seshat: I think just about everyone knows someone who has been affected by this in one way or another. One of the problems of the wide brush syndrome. The ease by which someone can just casually call up the children services or whatever agency serves as the gestapo in your region and say someone touched someone innaprpropriately is part of the problem.

Comment

Yea, but we can't make it hard for the people who were actually harmed in some way to actually get help.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Oh, I totally agree, Greenday. But we - society as a whole - needs to figure out some way to help the victims, punish the perpetrators, but not harm uninvolved innocents.

The current method isn't doing well enough on the first two, and has an abysmal record on the third.

Comment

The only way we can change the system is to change as a society. But that's a huge change and I have a feeling will not happen any time soon. People aren't that trusting so people will still be screwed over by others looking for a quick buck. Also, society in general needs to stop being so damn greedy. We have a long way to go.

Comment

No we can't make it impossible for those harmed to get help. I'll agree with you on that. Its just somewhere along the way we lost track of the whole "innocent until PROVEN guilty thing." Nowadays just being accused is proof of guilt in many cases. The media hassle and attention is like a shark feeding frenzy and then if it turns out to be false you never see huge headlines blaring "duh we wuz wrong bob is innocent." No if it gets any media coverage at all its buried on page 27 under the used car ads.

You are right that this society needs an enema from top to bottom. Greedy politicians lookign for more power, gredy media moguls looking for more bucks, certain members of society in general looking for safety or someone to lookafter them so they dont have to think about it.... Bah! It makes me wonder why i bother trying to do anything. Seriously looking at this country/world sometimes I just say let the dang place fall and we'll try again.

Comment

Originally posted by AFPheonix View Post
                            How is this even enforceable?

I don't mind kids, but politicians who use the causes of kids to advance their own careers need to be shot.
                            My thoughts exactly. I don't exactly trust the majority of the government to make the decision how to do that (if they even know where to start). All the ways I could think of would fail badly in practice, and the ways that wouldn't fail are either a egregious violation of rights and/or not possible yet.

Originally posted by rahmota View Post
                            Those who pass these sort of laws wind up Looking tough on crime, looking good for the moral zealots, and looking good for those with children. Its a win win scenario for the politicians at least. And yeah whos gonna stand up for a sexual deviant? Do that and the public turns on you too no matter how "right" you may be from a legal standpoint the fear of letting a "sexual predator" out on the streets to be around our children is too horrible to bear, dont you care baout the children THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! (Or at least thats how the usual rhetoric goes I've seen)
                            The "think of the children" battlecry pisses me off. Yes, kids should be protected, but that doesn't mean shielding them from everything possible. Especially if the ones doing the shielding try it at the expense of others.

I read somewhere that the overall majority of molestation incidents are committed by someone known to the victim.
                            Originally posted by DesignFox View Post
                            We give up more freedoms seeking protection than we do just watching out for ourselves...I think the whole root of the problem is a lack of personal responsibility.
                            *nodnod* Most parents today expect everyone else to do their parenting for them. Adults know that they can get away with blaming everything/everyone but themselves, because politicians and the media are too dim to think otherwise.

My parents and I have said that I'm one of the last kids to grow up with a healthy moral compass.
                            Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-01-2008, 02:15 PM.
                            "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamstalker View Post
                              My parents and I have said that I'm one of the last kids to grow up with a healthy moral compass.
                              I sincerely hope not. I'm working hard to avoid that being the case, with my nieces and nephews (both genetic and honorary).

I know other people who are working hard in the same cause - let's hope we prevail!

Comment

Working...
                              X