Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young People Elected to Office

http://wcco.com/local/19.year.old.2.1620097.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA8KMYZ5Yy8 (a video about the story)

This story is a few months old, but this is something I've thought about a little. Basically, this story is about a nineteen year-old guy who got elected mayor of his town. Roughly ten years ago, when I was a senior in high school, I remember reading a story in the paper about an eighteen year-old guy who got elected to my state's legislature (I think it was the state's legislature . . . I can't remember for sure, though, and Google isn't turning anything up for me). Also, one of my history professors from college served as a mayor in his town when he was 21.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ed-mayor_N.htm

There's another story about a nineteen year-old getting elected mayor, though it's from 2008.

Do you think that people of this age are ready to serve in public office? Would you vote for someone this age if said person was in sync with the rest of your viewpoints?

I think I would, honestly. I would evaluate them just as I would any other candidate, and if I felt he or she had what it takes, I'd support them. I might be a little concerned about them being too idealistic about the job and having an overly romantic view of the position, but that type of attitude would probably be evident in the person's actions, I would think.

EDIT:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpv69...eature=related

Found another story about a nineteen year-old running for mayor.
    Last edited by guywithashovel; 07-27-2010, 03:22 AM.

Why not? Even if you think that's too young, it's mayor, not president, and depending on the town there's often not much to it.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I sure has hell wouldn't. Unless a 19 year old can prove to me they know the dynamics of my town better than their opponents, at least.

Comment

Pittsburgh's mayor, Luke Ravenstahl (aka the Woy Blunder)...was only 26 or so when he took office in 2006. But, he wasn't even *elected* until the following year. To say that he's an idiot is putting it nicely. He really does act childish, usually after being called-out for something he's done. How do I know this? Well, when we got the record-breaking snowfalls (2-3 feet in less than 24 hours), he disappeared. Later, we found out that he was at a ski resort...instead of dealing with the problems caused by the storm. When the media put up a fuss, he threw a temper tantrum! That wasn't the first time either.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          Why not? Even if you think that's too young, it's mayor, not president, and depending on the town there's often not much to it.
          I was thinking the same thing. My hometown is pretty small, and I actually think being its mayor would be kind of like managing a Kwik-E-Mart. Besides, in many cases, the mayor is more of a symbolic figurehead than anything else, with the city council and department heads in town doing most of the work.

Comment

It's not too ridiculous an idea. I mean, older politicians have experience in screwing things up. Young candidates don't.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Politics doesn't really take much outside of the proper mentality and maturity. Like Protege pointed out, that guy in Pittsburgh had neither. There may be others that do at that age, but I'd say they're few and far between.

CH
              Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

In a way, these stories make me feel a little inadequate. When I was nineteen, I was stocking shelves at Wal-Mart. These guys are the chief executives of their towns (or are candidates) at that age.

Comment

I'd rather have a young person in an elected position then some old guy who's mind is no longer there.

Comment

I think age shouldn't pay a part in whether or not a candidate is eligible.

If a 19 is qualified, is aware and up to date with the major issues, and is also charismatic enough to be elected, why shouldn't they be allowed.

I think the main problem a lot of people have is that young people don't have 'life experience'. But on the other hand, they might not have old prejudices like an older candidate might have.

And to be fair, a 60 year old can act just as childish as a 26 year old. It just means they aren't mature enough (or they're just dicks).

But, yeah. Hearing stories like this makes me feel inadequate.
                    "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
                    Josh Thomas

Comment

Would I be wary of someone young? Sure. But I wouldn't count them out by default due to age. There are some very smart young people and very dumb old people and everything in between. The only thing the younger people are sure to be lacking in is experience, but even then, the older people didn't have that at one time either, and experience is only good if you LEARN something from it, and not everyone does.

Of course, yes, the young people who would actually fit well into the job are few are far between, but that doesn't mean that they DON'T exist. If they can prove themselves, I think they deserve just as much of a chance as anyone.

Comment

I think a lot depends on the attitude and mind set of the person standing.

I've been vet active in local politics for 15 years and when sitting on selection panels iv interviewed some 19/20 year olds who would e excellent local councillors. And then I've interviewed 50+ year olds who would be better oft in th local crèche.

If all goes to plan I'm standing for council myself next year which at 29 would make me the youngest councillor ever in our town.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                          Like Protege pointed out, that guy in Pittsburgh had neither.
                          Oh, and it wasn't the first outburst from him either--back in 2005, before he was mayor, he got busted for shoving a cop. Yet, he used his office to get away with it. But, in 2009, he outdid himself. During the G20, he said, and I quote... "I have some free speech for you -- fuck you, Vic Walczak." Who is Walczak? He's the legal director for the ACLU!

Anyway, the guy acts like a child, and he gets away with it. Unless he pulls a "Tom Murphy" (one of the previous mayors, who managed to cause the current cashflow problems), he'll always have a job. Any other town, they'd vote him out of office. But, either people are reluctant to change (that's how we ended up with machine politics to begin with), or they're too stupid to notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                            I think the main problem a lot of people have is that young people don't have 'life experience'. But on the other hand, they might not have old prejudices like an older candidate might have.
                            Clearly you know different young people than I. My younger brother is in his early twenties, and his friends are some of the most prejudiced people I know. What makes it vaguely terrifying is that they don't believe they are prejudiced, they actually think that it is okay to belittle and bully those who aren't in their 'group', or who don't share their opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
                              Clearly you know different young people than I. My younger brother is in his early twenties, and his friends are some of the most prejudiced people I know. What makes it vaguely terrifying is that they don't believe they are prejudiced, they actually think that it is okay to belittle and bully those who aren't in their 'group', or who don't share their opinions.
                              And that is why I said they might not have old prejudices.
                              At the same time, an older person might have more life experience than his younger counterpart, but at the same time, the younger might have experienced more in his young life than the older person ever would.
                              It depends on the person
                              "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
                              Josh Thomas

Comment

Working...
                              X