Two party system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two party system

I've been thinking a lot about the United States' two-party system, versus other parliamentary systems.

And one thing I've realized (which is slowly becoming less true) is that the US Two-Party system is far less ideological than many parliamentary systems. In the US, becoming a member of a party is a simple matter of going to your local office and saying "I am a Republican." "I am a Democrat." "I am a Libertarian." ETC. Unless I'm mistaken, its not possible for you to un-become a Democrat/Republican/Libertarian/etc. The parties themselves are relatively weak, while in most parliamentary systems, the parties are strong.

Now, this is rapidly changing in the US, much to my dismay, but until recently, all Democrats/Republicans were not (nor were they expected) to be cut from the same mold.

Hence, we can have Republicans who are pushing for gay marriage, like Schwarzeneggar, who is in the same party as the people who say there ought to be an amendment against it. Even the Democratic party have their dissents. Kucinich says make gay marriage legal, for example, while Obama would prefer stronger civil unions. There are even some against gay relationships altogether. David Blankenhorn, registered as a Democrat, said
    "We're either going to go in the direction of viewing marriage as a purely private relationship between two people that's defined by those people, or we're going to try to strengthen and maintain marriage as our society's most pro-child institution,"" to explain why he was against Gay Marriage.

Even in the last Presidential election, with so many 'types' of Republican on the table, there were many attacks about whether or not candidate X had all the right 'conservative' credentials, but (and I wasn't watching the Republican primaries as much as I should have, due to certain personal issues) but very few were saying "This man is not a Republican."

There are cons, though. Once the primaries are finished, you generally get two people for every option, and you have to chose from basically only those two options. In the recent Massachusetts Senate election, you had to choose between Coakley or Brown (or possibly Kennedy, the third party candidate, and unrelated to the Kennedy clan). You had fewer options than in a larger system.

The worst part of a two party system, though, to me at least, seems to be crucially tied to its best part. The worst part is that there are few choices once the primary is decided. The best part, though, is that the parties are much more 'large tent', and you usually get much more choice during primaries.

Of course, the way politics are going at the moment, the parties are becoming far more ideologically one way or another, and less willing to compromise. This is highly unfortunate, and, in the end, will probably lead to the US becoming far more partisan. But there will probably be more parties in it as well.

Anyway, I was mostly rambling, and I'll probablychange my mind on some of the things I've said eventually, but that's what I was thinking when I wrote it.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

You can change your political party. it's as simple as re-registering to vote for that particular party, or as an independent.

The biggest problem with our two party system here is that many states have closed primaries. Elections where you can only vote for whatever candidates represent whatever your registered party is. If you're an independent or a member of a party that doesn't have anyone running, you don't get to vote for that office in that particular election. You have to wait for the general election to cast your vote.

Getting back to your OP, I firmly believe the run of run of the 2 parties is coming to an end. I would not be surprised to see the Republican party split in two, with the Tea Party becoming it's own party or becoming a larger part of the Libertarian party. I wouldn't be surprised to see a push for the Reform Party's growth again with a lot of Democrats jumping ship to move away from the "image" they've been painted with.

American politics is going to get really interesting in the coming years, that's for sure.

CH
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post

Getting back to your OP, I firmly believe the run of run of the 2 parties is coming to an end.
      Really? I hope your right, but I don't see it. Both parties would fight to the last man to maintain the allmighty Status Quo. Hell it's not even in either party's best interests to let their opponent splinter. A unified foe is a known quantity, but a splintered one is anyone's game.
      Customer: I need an Apache.
      Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

Originally posted by Talon View Post
        Really? I hope your right, but I don't see it. Both parties would fight to the last man to maintain the allmighty Status Quo. Hell it's not even in either party's best interests to let their opponent splinter. A unified foe is a known quantity, but a splintered one is anyone's game.
        I'd like a multi-party system in some respects, but in others... It concerns me. The current, two-party system has previously allowed relative independence in politics, even from registered voters to one party or the other. In the last presidential election (I don't remember all the candidates) I voted for two Republicans, two Democrats, and three Libertarians/Other Independents. But, I consider all the candidates I vote for to have been moderates.

Also, there's a flaw in your logic that a party split for the opponents would result in a 'dangerous' opponent, because you never know which way your opponents will go. Admittedly, nobody wants to have to face more than one opponent, and the art of American politics is defining the opponent, but if the Republican party splinters into a Social Conservative-Economic Conservative and a Social Liberal-Economic Conservative pair (which is the most likely party-split scenario I can think of), both sides will be easily branded by the Democratic party as "Conservatives." And there will also still be only one option for the Economic Liberals. I can hardly think of any liberals I know who would not be overjoyed at the thought of splitting a Republican vote.
        Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 08-30-2010, 04:34 AM.
        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Working...
        X