Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
    I did.

Shortening the amber should be illegal? What if the road conditions change? What if the zoning changes? There are legitemate reasons to shorten timing of lights. Blanket statements like that are silly. (and yes, I am aware of the irony of that being a blanket statement)

I dare say you meant it in the context of 'raising renenue' at the cost of safety, which I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, it's one of those things that take far more effort to undo than most people are willing to invest. Joe Public generally doesn't care so long as his favourite tv shows aren't interrupted.

The light should be yellow long enough for someone to be able to react and safely stop (no jamming on the brakes, etc.) while travelling at the speed limit. I can't think of any legitimate reason why the light would be shortened. Greenday pointed out the only reason I can think of:

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
    The only "condition" where yellow lights should be shortened is if the speed limit is lowered. Since that's obvious not the case, I can't think of one valid reason to shorten a yellow light.
    Yes, there are many reasons why the speed limit would lower on a permanent basis (new zoning, construction, more traffic, etc.) and it will take less time to stop at a lower speed, especially with a drastic speed limit reduction (45 MpH zones are common here so say it goes from 45MpH to 30 or 35 MpH).

Shortening it to the point where drivers cannot safely stop (while driving at the speed limit) is a major issue and makes the intersection far more dangerous. There could be far more sinister reasons for doing this than to just get more revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamstalker View Post
      I see stunts like this all the time. One of the reasons I tend to wait a few seconds after pedestrians get the light before I cross; you have no idea if some moron is going to turn you into road pizza.
      Five years ago that almost happened to me on a downtown street. I had Walk, waited a second, started to cross, next thing I knew my hand was on some idiots hood. I was shocked enough that I didn't say anything, but when I was no longer in front of him he KEPT GOING. Fortunately it was just a crosswalk and not an intersection! I did something I rarely do - I loudly yelled "RED LIGHT IDIOT!!!" I should have gotten his plate - hindsight...

Studies have consistently shown that lengthening yellow lights actually prevents more accidents than traffic cameras.
      In Germany they have a yellow light after both green and red, i.e. green, yellow, red; red, yellow, green.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveat Emptor View Post
        In Germany they have a yellow light after both green and red, i.e. green, yellow, red; red, yellow, green.
        Does that help any? I guess I can see it as a throughput improvement...you're not always caught by surprise by the light turning green. More traffic can move.

Actually, I like this idea. Let's do it in the States!

Comment

Americans would treat the yellow light after the red light no different from green.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
          X