Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christine O'Donnell Needed a Refresher Course on the First Amendment

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=11916067

"Where in the Constitution is the separation of church and state?" O'Donnell asked, a statement that drew laughter from the audience. When Coons returned to the topic a few minutes later, he said her comment "reveals her fundamental misunderstanding of what our Constitution is."

"The First Amendment establishes the separation, the fact that the federal government shall not establish religion," Coons said.

"The First Amendment does?" O'Donnell interrupted. "You're telling me that the separation of church and state is found in the First Amendment?"

When Coons summarized the amendment as saying government shall make no law establishing religion, O'Donnell interrupted again: "That's in the First Amendment?"
    Boy, the Tea Party sure does know how to pick 'em, doesn't it?

I thought all witches knew the First Amendment...
    "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
    -- OMM 0000

Comment

The phrase "separation of church and state" is not found in the first amendment:
      Originally posted by The First Amendment
      Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
      The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
      my brother's

Comment

Originally posted by joe hx View Post
        The phrase "separation of church and state" is not found in the first amendment:
        It doesn't contain the exact phrase, but it does establish the separation between them.

CH
        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by joe hx View Post
          We could probably sit and argue about this all day, but the concept does seem to be pretty strongly implied.

Comment

It comes from various documents, other than and including the First Amendment.

Clicky
            "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
            -- OMM 0000

Comment

She was trying to make a point the "sepeartion of church and state" is not a constitutional requirement. The phrase came about from Thomas Jefferson's and James Madison's letters on the subject of religion and the government.

If anything, Christine O'Donnell holds a literal interpretation of the Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                If anything, Christine O'Donnell holds a literal interpretation of the Constitution.
                Gotta love those literalists. I wonder how many times she got wet when someone told her to jump in the lake.
                -- OMM 0000

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                  She does???

She's for instituting teacher led prayer and keeping the phrase "Under God" in the pledge. Those would be laws establishing Christianity in our school systems. Sounds like a misinterpretation of the 1st Amendment to me.

She's also heavily opposed to gun control, which is anything but a literal interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.

CH

Comment

She's most certainly not abiding by the first amendment, but I might add that the supreme court has decided that the 2nd amendment protects an individual right to bear arms, at least insofar as it does pertain to self defense. (which if you think about it kinda pushes past the issue of weapons owned for recreation.)

Therefore a literal interpretation of the 2nd amendment as decided by the supreme court would make any unreasonable gun control law unconstitutional. Opinion may differ on what unreasonable means exactly, but that's the state of affairs. Just a note.

Back OT, yeah, yet another person who just happens to "forget" that what they're doing is technically against the rules, or deluded to the point where they've fooled themselves. Either way, blegh
                    Last edited by Wingates_Hellsing; 10-20-2010, 10:27 PM.
                    All units: IRENE
                    HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by Wingates_Hellsing View Post
                      She's most certainly not abiding by the first amendment, but I might add that the supreme court has decided that the 2nd amendment protects an individual right to bear arms, at least insofar as it does pertain to self defense. (which if you think about it kinda pushes past the issue of weapons owned for recreation.)

Therefore a literal interpretation of the 2nd amendment as decided by the supreme court would make any unreasonable gun control law unconstitutional. Opinion may differ on what unreasonable means exactly, but that's the state of affairs. Just a note.

Back OT, yeah, yet another person who just happens to "forget" that what they're doing is technically against the rules, or deluded to the point where they've fooled themselves. Either way, blegh
                      I've read through Columbia v Heller several times and their "logic" in interpreting it is a little far fetched, but I'll save that argument for a different thread.

CH

Comment

Christine O'Donnell is an idiot. A terrifying, scary, idiot. Even she however can not scare me as much as Sharon Angle. She scares the shit out of me.
                        I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

I think she more needs her mouth taped shut on the grounds that she's a idiot. I wonder how many people only listen to her to see how absurd the next thing she says will be?

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                          She's also heavily opposed to gun control, which is anything but a literal interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.
                          Literal.
                          "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                          TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Working...
                          X