This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah's Shameless Self-Promotion

Somebody just pointed this out to me today, and even knowing everything I do about her, I still couldn't believe it.

First Look : Sarah Palin's Alaska

This woman has no shame. I have heard of self-promotion by politicians, but an 8-week television series solely to bolster her own public image . . . ?

People keep asking, "Why are we still talking about Sarah Palin? Didn't she lose the election?"

Well, this, right here, is the answer. We keep talking about her because she won't go away!

Now, a friend of mine suggested that this could actually be good . . . Sarah Palin has hardly ever been able to open her mouth without shoving her foot right in it. So this series might provide us with some good entertainment, albeit perhaps not in the way that Sarah Palin would like. We will see.

By the way, you will notice that the closing shot looks just like every other public appearance Sarah Palin has ever made, with her family right behind her. Even after everything they've been through, Sarah Palin is still throwing her children into the harsh glare of public scrutiny.

I feel sorry for her kids.
    "Well, the good news is that no matter who wins, you all lose."

I'm glad she has the show and hope it gets her the nomination.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      I'm glad she has the show and hope it gets her the nomination.
      You must really want Obama to win again, don't you?

I don't mind the show. If it shows her to be more normal, it makes me feel a little safer about her running for president (even though she doesn't have a shot at winning).
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Uh, how is this any different than Obama being on TV constantly with more speeches...including a few where he tried to bolster his party's reputation

Comment

He doesn't try to hide political appearances behind "wholesome family values". All this series is is political posturing bathed in the reality TV that people love...I bet a lot of viewers will tune in hoping to actually see Alaska.

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles...tural_habitat/

One can always hope she gets mauled trying to cozy up to a real mama grizzly to make some sort of point...

If she did ever attain President (seventh sign of the apocalypse right there) I don't think she'd be able to stand up to the scrutiny and decision-making.
          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
            Uh, how is this any different than Obama being on TV constantly with more speeches...including a few where he tried to bolster his party's reputation
            It's different because he's the President, and he should be on TV all the time telling the American people what's going on. At least he's out there, instead of hiding on his ranch pretending everything's okay.

She was a governor who quit her job for a book deal, and who has no problem pimping out her family for her benefit (can anyone else explain Bristol Palin on DWTS?)

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
              When elected officials speak, they are trying to push an agenda.

Sure, they will try to make themselves look good if they can, but their goal is (and should be) to try to drum up as much support as possible for the policies and programs that they want enacted.

Besides, as has been pointed out, making speeches is part of the job. The public tends to get suspicious when mayors, governors, and especially Presidents won't talk about what's going on.

Sarah Palin, on the other hand, isn't trying to push anything but herself. This entire 8-week series is, when it comes right down to it, nothing more than Sarah Palin screaming, "Look at me, world! Aren't I a great person?!"

And, as usual, she's exploiting her children to do it, which is another thing that really irks me.

By the way, just for the record, I don't need to defend Barack Obama in order to criticize Sarah Palin. I firmly believe that both parties suck.

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
              She was a governor who quit her job for a book deal
              You know, I still chuckle a bit whenever I think about the time that political commentator Cenk Uygar mentioned the fact that, under the terms of Sarah Palin's contract with her publisher, she would not receive any of the royalties from "Going Rogue" until after she was no longer governor of Alaska.

Uygar then went on to say, "Now you ask, 'Why did Sarah Palin resign as governor of Alaska'? Oh, oh, oh, yes, that is a tough one . . ."
              "Well, the good news is that no matter who wins, you all lose."

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                (can anyone else explain Bristol Palin on DWTS?)
                Hm, young woman, 20 years old, asked if she wants to go on national tv. I'm sure it took her mother convincing her to get her to do it.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                  Hm, young woman, 20 years old, asked if she wants to go on national tv. I'm sure it took her mother convincing her to get her to do it.
                  I was saying that she's not a celebrity, but is in the public eye because of Mama Bear. She's the child of a politician, who got famous 'cause she got knocked up. (and then went and did abstinence PSAs Yeah, how'd that work out for you, hun?) It would be like putting the Bush twins on DWTS.

Comment

What about Laila Ali? She sure as hell isn't famous for her own reasons.

Comment

She's a decently well-known boxer - i.e. she's accomplished more in life than having a famous mom and getting pregnant.

Comment

You must not follow boxing then. Laila Ali is 24-0 with 21 knockouts as a boxer. Albeit, she hasn't had a fight in almost 4 years, but motherhood will do that. yes, she gets notoriety for being the daughter of the greatest boxer that ever lived, but she's backed up that legacy all on her own.

CH
                        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

I really don't follow boxing. Neither do most people, especially women's boxing. If she had accomplished all she had in boxing but her father wasn't one of the most famous boxers of all time, the ONLY people who would have known her are people who follow female boxing. People who don't follow boxing know who her dad is. Her dad had true fame. She's more famous for being the daughter of a great boxer than being a good boxer herself.

Comment

Yes, but unlike Bristol Palin, she does have valid reasons for her celebrity status.
                            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Ok - question for those of you who say it's ok for Obama to go on TV constantly because he's the president and has to inform the nation as to what's up:

What about his appearances on various late-night TV talk shows? What important presidential 'business' was covered on *those* visits?

Comment

Working...
                              X