Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What? They're playing chess?? SEND IN SWAT NOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What? They're playing chess?? SEND IN SWAT NOW!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40261971...s-new_york_ny/

Police sent in a swarm of themselves to arrest seven men for playing chess in a park.

Why? Because that area was suppose to be ONLY for adults with kids. Who cares if there are no kids, rules are rules and these men must be arrested for enjoying themselves and harming no-one.

I do find it funny the writer of article included bullet proof vested swarm, because the average cop isn't wearing that after all.
    Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
    I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

WTF is right...I'm sure there are better things the police there could be doing.

I always thought those "only accompanied by a child" signs were meant to be humorous.
    "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Wow... This takes the cake for biggest overreaction ever.

The only instance I would expect to see this kind of police stupidity is in a comedy movie, not in the news!!

Comment

Oh, but think of the children... obviously only pedophiles would be in a park playing chess if they didn't have kids of their own...
        If you'll please excuse me while I go vomit.
        Sadly, that probably is about the line of logic that was used to justify this.
        "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
          Oh, but think of the children... obviously only pedophiles would be in a park playing chess if they didn't have kids of their own
          You wouldn't believe how many people believe similar thoughts.

Comment

Of course, those people probably wouldn't think that the kids are in school, at home with the other parent, or that the men in question simply wanted to get away from their kids for awhile

Comment

I bet you that if the police had done nothing they would have had around 5 to 10 complaints by day's end of "the creepy men in the park"
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                I bet you that if the police had done nothing they would have had around 5 to 10 complaints by day's end of "the creepy men in the park"
                I can see your point, but this whole thing was just overkill. Did they really need a "swarm of cops" to remove a group of old men? It would make more sense to inform them they weren't supposed to be there, and ask them to leave. Then if they refused, arrest them.
                --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

...okay, the article's headline earns a few points for making me laugh.

Of course, someone else already beat me to saying what I thought as soon as I read both the OP and the article:

Originally posted by the linked article
                  As one Inwood Hill resident put it to DNAInfo, "Couldn't they just move the tables?"
                  This space for rent.

Comment

what child plays chess in this day and age, move the tables to the child free sections of the park
                    or did they bring their own chess boards and just use a picknic bench type thing?

still I can agree with moving the tables or having some outside of the area for anyone to use

Comment

I wonder...if it had been women playing at the chess tables, would they have sent a swarm of cops in?

Comment

I read a lady's blog once, where she was hounded out of a park for being there without kids. This wasn't a playground, it was a recreation facility for all ages. The cop threatened to arrest her for "being a danger to children", while saying "This park is for families, not people like you!"
                        And this park wasn't even designated "for kids only" or anything of the sort.

I have to admit, these kind of things scare me- my friends and I are cosplayers, and we like to use our local parks for informal photoshoots. We don't "freak the mundanes", try to roleplay with anyone, or hassle anybody else. We just do our own thing and keep to ourselves- taking turns posing and taking pictures. If anyone asks what's up, we tell them "We're costumers, and we're doing a photoshoot". I worry that one of these days, it's gonna be us being hounded out of our favorite spots, because after all, we must only be wearing those costumes to lure children, all adults without kids are pervs, don'tcha know?

Comment

Working...
                        X