Slashing State Arts Commissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slashing State Arts Commissions

So, a lot of states in the country are, to be blunt, broke as hell. So several are looking to things that are "frivolous." Like the Arts Commissions.

Texas, South Carolina, Arizona, and Kansas

I can speak about Kansas because, well, I'm here. I shadowed at the KAC last year and learned a bit about the day-to-day operations. Governor Brownback passed an executive order eliminating the KAC and establishing a Kansas Arts Foundation, a non-profit organization that would operate under the Kansas Historical Society. Here's the thing. The Kansas Arts Commission was slated to get a whopping $800,000 from the state. That's a *tiny* fraction of the deficit. Plus, since the state is not providing matching funds, they'll lose funding from the National Endowment of the Arts* and the Mid-America Arts Alliance. About $1.5 million in funding....gone. Poof. The Governor did agree to give the KAC $200,000 to "tide them over" until they can start fundraising.

The KAC's current duties involve, basically, funneling state and federal monies to local arts organizations. Art museums, community arts centers, and individual performers all benefit. Everyone has to apply for grants, and the grants are carefully picked over and approved. Most of the money goes for arts education - organizations and individuals who provide arts exposure to children, the elderly, and the disabled. Not "Piss Christ," although that's what everyone seems to think.

Ah, you say, why don't these organizations pull themselves up by their bootstraps and use good ol' fashioned Capitalism? Well, in the larger communities, they will. There will be cuts, and innovative programming will be slashed in favor of endless productions of Our Town, but they'll survive. However, in rural communities? Nothing. Often these organizations provide the only source of culture in these places. If they go away, then those kids don't get to experience a live concert, live theatre, or see art hung in a museum.

Then, there's the economy. People drive places to see art. Then they spend money on restaurants, parking, maybe go shopping, stay at a hotel, etc. Cutting the KAC hurts tourism.

And it just doesn't make any damn fiscal sense. But that's okay. Because this isn't about money. This is about Republicans passing a cultural agenda. Artists are damn dirty liberals and we can't be giving them any money, right? Besides, who needs art? We can just read the Bible and go to the Creationism museum! That'll learn ya all ya need to know, and Kansas will once again be a complete laughingstock in this country and abroad. I'm just waiting for Governor Douchebag to pass an executive order that requires the teaching of creationism in science class.

I hate to say this, but it almost tempts a person to move to Missouri.

*Which is also under threat of elimination, along with PBS and NPR. The only thing Republicans hate more than free expression is Big Bird.

Oh, Big Bird's OK; it's Car Talk they hate

My understanding was that PBS/NPR were mostly cut loose a few years ago, receive relatively little of their current funding through the government, and could manage without it if need be.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
    X