The World Is Going Mad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The World Is Going Mad!

Let's start a list of countries that are flipping a shit over their current government:
    Libya
    Egypt
    Algeria is starting
    Yemen
    Tunisia is starting

Plus others are looking like being pushed over the edge. I only posted the countries I've read have had violent protests to get rid of their governments/leaders. I read Morocco has had protests too.

What was it that started this huge bubble? I get that some of them were like, "Hey, they are winning over there. We can do it too!" But does anyone know what the breaking point was the pushed the world into this point? How many more countries are going to go for radical change?
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

First...GOING mad? Sorry, world has been going to heck in a hand basket (express) for a long time. I am a bit of an conspiracy nut, so won't get into a few things I could..but yeah things are crazy out there.

Comment

As far as I know, it all started in Tunesia. A man set himself on fire in protest of harassment by officials. It sparked demonstrations, culminating in the president fleeing the country.
      Then people began planning demonstrations in Egypt on Facebook and after that, it just spread.

Comment

Actual success is a great motivator. -.-

Comment

It's exciting and somewhat terrifying, to be honest. We just all have to hope that the more radical groups in that part of the world don't take advantage of the chaos.

Comment

Iraq is going now. So that's all fucked- let's see how the occupying forces respond. /sigh

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepwalker View Post
              Iraq is going now. So that's all fucked- let's see how the occupying forces respond. /sigh
              Hopefully they can get themselves and the civilians working there the hell out of there. Hearing other employees from my company over there talk about it, man do I feel bad for those guys.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

This is the World Wide Web at it's most powerful.

The downtrodden learn exactly how downtrodden they really are and learn that they don't necessarily have to take it. Also, they learn that their plights have not gone unnoticed and any sacrifices they may make will not be unheard.

The genie is out of the bottle, and there's no putting it back.

An article about Tunisia at Ars Technica

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Water.

Populations increasing, aquifers drying up.

And we whine about the price of gas.

Comment

From a friend:

Water is more precious than food or oil in many of the nations we see with rebellions. The idea that the world is headed for a huge set of water problems is not at all a new one.

But I was with some ME folks and some technologists today and learned some interesting things:

It costs over ten of the North African and Middle Eastern nations (nations not people because water is subsidized for most of them) more for a gallon of drinkable water than a gallon of oil. This is a state that some Asian nations are facing soon as well.

Over fifteen nations in the ME and Central Asia have less than 3 days of drinkable water on hand

Several would require more than three months (lack of spare technological components) to repair significant damage to any of their water processing or de-salinization facilities caused by an oil spill in nearby waters.

The conclusion I drew from it is another reminder that:

1) many parts of the world live awfully close to Archduke Ferdinand moments of calamitous meltdown

2) Nothing better distracts and may help a big financial problem for the US than a bigger problem elsewhere.

Interesting stuff

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread. I had been wondering what was really going on over there.

So who'll be next? For some reason I keep hearing Saudi Arabia.

Comment

I'm just hoping shit doesn't hit the fan. I hear attacks become more frequent as weather gets nicer. And after those kids were killed when they were misidentified as a crew that had just fired a rocket, God knows what will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGiant View Post
                          And we whine about the price of gas.
                          ...and some of us (not me--tap water tastes *exactly* the same as that Evian crap) will gladly pay *more* for a small bottle of water (or even milk) than they'll pay for a gallon of gas. Yet, you don't hear the same complaints about water or milk...and people *need* those to live! In many cases, people could easily get by without oil.

On another note, watching all of this unfold, reminds me of the late-1980s in Europe. The nonviolent demonstrations started in Poland, and then spread to Hungary, East Germany, Czechoslovakia, and Romania. All of that happened, simply because the standards of living in those countries declined. Their economies had stagnated. People were tired of the endless shortages of goods and services, the endless problems with state-run everything, and either voted their communist-backed leaders out...or in the case of Romania, simply executed them.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                            Let's start a list of countries that are flipping a shit over their current government:
                            Libya
                            Egypt
                            Algeria is starting
                            Yemen
                            Tunisia is starting
                            USA is starting....

don't deny it.

Comment

USA doesn't apply. They are always flipping a shit about the government.

Comment

Working...
                              X